Bike: 1 Hammer bar 220 8:00
1 GU2O bottle 250 during
1 Hammer bar or sport beans 220 or 200 9:45
1 GU2O bottle 250 during
Run 1 Gu 100 10:50
1 Gu 100 11:30
1 Gu 100 12:10

Event warmup:

I think this was my first mistake: I only did a 5 min bike ride to make sure it was working. My plan was for a 20 minute warm up.
Swim
  • 36m
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

This is my first race in a wet suit and only my second swim in the suit. I used vasoline for my neck and on my legs to help get it off.
Two laps for swim, at the first turn I had a bad cramp in my calf? Was it the water or because I did not warm up? but had to swim for a while with out legs like doing pulls. This did not bother me because I need to save the legs for the bike and run. I had a guy infront of me that would make a snake look like he was going straight. Put in a push to go ahead and that was better. on the third turn another calf cramp....wow ...that guy "snake" was in front of me again, I slow a little just to give some room. Ended the swim feeling very good ...
What would you do differently?:

Do A swim warmup 500 yrds and use Icehot before
Transition 1
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

For T1 I had every thing layed out very well. Socks rolled up, shoes open, two shirts open to slip on and helmet and glasses. I decided to just go with one shirt and I am glad I did. Even tho it was only 50's the 60's and 70's were yet to come. I was warm from the swim.

Maybe take 5 minute to use the bathroom and drink a GA to start the hydration.
Bike
  • 3h 17m 25s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.02 mile/hr
Comments:

I found out during the race that my granny gear is not low enough to climb the hills. I had to stand while others kept the spin. I stayed true to my plan and took in gels and shot bloks at 30 min intervals. At 20 mile there was a out and back and I was ready since I had ridden the coarse a month ago. I enjoyed the rolling hills and the nice hot sun, wind was strong at 20 mph for 2/3 of the ride ... so I kept my arro position to cut the wind. Twice I found that I was going faster than planned and had to drop back a gear. Heading into town there was a very nice down hill ... ~40 mph ... mile xx ...at mile 50 there is a long slow climb were I lock up a month ago.. this time it went very easy ... I know I am doing well.. 6 more mile and I can nock out the run... As I turned into the Park I see that my wife had pulled in just ahead of me ... what a great feeling... She parked the car at a great location were a few friend were .. wow ...

Get a new smaller ring gear.

Put gatorade in squeese bottles. Add one more gel. drink more water.

reset HR monitor
Transition 2
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

Pulling up to the trans area I heard the staff calling out "off the bike" What they were saying was "aqua bike" ; see there were two races at the same time, one for just bike and swim. So I had to get back on the bike and ride to the next stop.
I racked my bike and noticed that I had two much fluids left on the bike .. not good ... I grabbed a GE and headed out for the run.

HR data: 142 ave 167 max (from swim) 3:55:44 Bike data: 3:19, max 39.6 mph

Put on more sun screen, Drink water.
Run
  • 2h 18m 6s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I took the first hill walking and drinking. I droped a GE bottle at a marker. Things were going well at the half way point, 1:05 I was right on target. There was a bad head wind on the return leg of the run so I would walk a little to keep my HR in range. (you know, Training day) At mile 8.5 is when things started to go bad: cramp in my left calf, overheated once, stop and stretched 3 times. A friend Steve just blew by going 8's. Putting water on my neck at the turn and soaked my running cap, back on stride. The only thing going thru my mind was that there were several runners in worse shape than me. One guy had had a bike wreck and stopped after 2 miles. Anyway I made it to the last aid station, 5K left ... still in bad shape ... I had taken all of my gels at the turns with water ...Just had to start a run/walk; time was going by ... my under 6 hr had just now looked like 6.5 hrs. nice jog now for last 0.5 miles...With only .5 mile to go my back locked up ..what was that .. I had never had that happen... walked with arms over head and then when that quit ... I took off running AGAIN... Funny thing was when I could see the finish all pain was gone and I had a very nice sprint for 200 yrd ... HIM DONE!

Make sure I hydrate well on the bike ....
Post race
Warm down:

I walked 25% of last 2.5 miles. HR was low so I did not need to cool down, Ice bath when I got home was excellent to get rid of sorness. I had a PB and honey sandwich w/ GE after race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was right on track until the 8th mile of the run. I think two things could be the issue: 1st I cramped during the swim and it may be because I did not warm up. 2nd I did not take in enough fluids on the bike. Short on 20 oz GE. I thing because I had to pee and did not, it caused me not to want to drink. Next time I am going to stop, if I cant go on the bike.

Event comments:

The event was maybe 5 minutes late ...

Several more people in the race but doing a aqua bike only.

Last updated: 2007-10-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:00 | 2112 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 0/101
Performance: Good
I did not reset my HR monitor at T1 .... so I do not know what my HR was at for the swim
Suit: Wet Suit: No Arms
Course: The water entry start was a shot gun start and this one was my first. Arm, and legs of 150 people all over the place. The women a second wave, 50, behind 5 minutes. 100 yrd swim to two orange boeys then a left hand turn, race down 4 yellow boeys (kept on your right) and make a turn at a red end marker boey, two laps then back to the boat ramp.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:43
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:17:25 | 56 miles | 17.02 mile/hr
Performance: Good
I was using hr to set pace. It took 5 mile befor my HR droped to 140's. Several people just passed me by but since I was tring to train I just dropped my head and kept my steady pace.
Wind: Strong
Course: The Coarce has 5400 feet of + elevation. The first hill is really steep comming out of the racks. Dropped to granny gear and pushed on up. All the turns were right hand and well marked with yellow arrows. They had staff at all turns. Had to share the road with a few wacko truck drivers but this is Ky and I was use to it. Water bottles, hammer gels at 23, 29, 35?, 50? miles I think. I carried all my own so I did not pay that much attention.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:12
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:18:06 | 13.1 miles | 10m 32s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
HR ave:146 max:161 (1:45 in light, 34min in moderate) HR stayed 150-151 1:05 at half way on the run, only 5 min off target.
Course: The run starts with a steep hill and then 3 laps on a 2 mile stretch with small rolling hills, The weather was 70F+ and sunny. The wind out of the South with gust at 20 mph. Water and Heed at 2 mile turns. 8 oz cups.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-19 8:08 AM

Veteran
Kentucky
Subject: Headfirst Performance Half-Iron

2008-05-19 9:57 AM
in reply to: #1410290

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Subject: RE: Headfirst Performance Half-Iron

Awesome race report! Well done on the AG finish- 3rd place...hope you got something good!

Your times are awesome! You swam in a sleeveless suit in 65 degree water- you make me look like a wimp!

WTG!!! You are going to rock the IM distance

2008-05-19 10:35 AM

User image

Great Job on your first HIM!  And good race report. 

Good luck at your Ironman.

2008-05-19 11:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT
Great RR GP!! CONGRATS on finishing your 1st HIM!!

Sounds to me like you did a great job preparing for the race and planning for fuel & hydration.
Maybe just a little bit of tweaking for the next race and you'll be G2G!!
Very impressed with your race overall!!

I am totally worried about cramping during the swim. My foot cramps all the time - Ahhh!
I usually stop, but after reading about your experience i'm going to try to swim thru it next time.
It's not like you can stop and touch bottom in the middle of the swim.

I was psyched to see that your in the 50-54 AG and you were able to complete a HIM!!
I'm 44, and i was worried i wouldn't have enough years left to make it that far - LOL!!!

AWESOME!!!!
2008-05-19 1:05 PM

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Great job Greg!! Way to go!!!

Congrats on finishing your first HIM and congrats on placing in your AG.

2008-05-19 8:22 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Woohoo! You did it...now you answers all of my questions I have about my first HIM!
Great job...time to look ahead to your IM!!

Leanne

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Headfirst Performance Half-Iron Rss Feed