2008-07-25 6:53 AM
in reply to: #1410522

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-07-25 7:45 AM

Beantown
Subject: RE: Title 9 Women Only Triathlon

you guys are cracking me UP!!!  the swim is my weakest link so you're not going to slow me down!! and poor John is only 2 weeks into his swimming life too so - it's really the blind leading the blind!! I was really nervous meeting Mav because she is so accomplished but i just kept telling myself that she started at ground zero just like me so 'just go have fun'.  and like i always say the more the merrier!!!!

and as for you Ms Mav - you should be resting on saturday!!!  you can come to chat but that's it!!!

2008-07-25 9:49 AM

Uxbridge
I was out here this am ...it was beautiful...swam to the center of the big lake and back X3 and did a few drills with my friend Ann Marie. I probably will skip tommorow to rest... But I'll be there next Sat

DO NOT WORRY ABOUT YOUR ABILITIES! Lisa is right we all have to start somewhere and we are here to support one and other. And Lisa is a good swimmer with a great stroke!!

See ya 'll next Sat!!! And those who will be in Webster on Sun! GO BT WOMEN
2008-07-25 11:10 AM

Best of luck this weekend! Have a great time.

I would love to come out next Saturday (the 2nd) for a swim/bike brick if that plan still holds. I will say that my bike is not quite up to snuff (though I love it). It's a proper mtn bike- I am working on getting slicks for it. But, that being said, I can just putter behind =)

2008-07-25 11:15 AM

It sounds like we're all suffering from confidence issues!  hahaha  Well I may be going to a Kenny Chesney concert tmw (someone may have an extra ticket- score!)  But I'll keep ya updated! 
2008-07-25 2:49 PM

2008-07-25 7:01 PM

Kroner-  I have tri shorts (thin padding) that I plan on wearing.  I'll swim in that and my sports bra (although I'm beginning to questions the streamline-ness of my cleavage!!!!!) and then throw a tank on over my bra for the bike.  Then I have a skirt for the run   www.skirtsports.com  Check out the outlet!  I saved a ton of money using it.  This worked for me when I practiced, but there are sooo many options! 

Edited by LITTLEWING21 2008-07-25 7:03 PM
2008-07-28 2:27 PM
in reply to: #1560333

Hello All!

Title 9 will be my first triathlon as well.  My two girlfriends and I have been training together for it.  We are so excited!  We went to Hopkinton on Sunday to "check things out".  We swam, ran the course and drove the bike course.  Does anyone know the best way to prepare for the swim as far as length?  We swam outside the buoys following the lines twice.  Should we do more?  Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks!

Collette

2008-07-28 7:57 PM
in reply to: #1565061

Welcome to the forum Collette!!!!  Good question.  Thats the hard thing about the swim; when you practice in open water its hard to judge distance.  I've had the same issue!  One option is to swim for time instead of distance, like a ____ min continuously.  Thats more benficial if you know how fast you are (which I don't).  You can also look up the lake on mapmyrun.com  and find out distances along the shore by drawing a route, just make sure the "auto-routing" option isn't on. 
2008-07-29 3:06 PM
in reply to: #1565916

New user

Hello - The Title 9 is my first tri and I am getting a little nervous about it since I only used to do the long bike rides (no swimming or running) so I am worried about adding three things to the mix.  But my question is about what to wear as well - do people change out of swim suits?  I can't imagine that it would be too comfortable to swim in my bike shorts and then ride but then again I have never tried it. 

I have been reading all the posts and I am so relieved to find some vets in here as well to answer some of the newbie questions - its greatly appreciated!

2008-07-29 8:13 PM
in reply to: #1567935

Beantown

Kristin,

You wouldn't believe how great it is to swim in "Tri-Shorts", they give you buoyancy!! Check the "where do you shop" discussion on the Mass forum - great info!

As for the NERVES - I recommend going to watch a tri.  I went to the Danskin in Webster this past weekend and after seeing ALL skill levels I feel a bit better.  There were women that didn't know how to ride a bike (lots of bouncing in the seat - no gear shifting knowledge - so I'm sure you have that going for you!) A lot of women did a combo of running and walking, too!  All I can say about that is , no matter how they crossed the finish line, they are now TRIATHLETES and no one can take that away from them!  

Get on a program and stick to it.  I started swimming only a little over a month ago - I STRONGLY recommend a swim coach and checking out the swim section of this site.  The drills I learned from my coach are the same as those posted.

A 'buddy' is pretty cool to find, too - I've got one and I love her (yes MAV that's you!!!) Let us know where you are and we'll meet up.

Congrats for taking the first step, its the hardest!

2008-07-30 8:12 AM

2008-07-30 8:14 AM

2008-07-30 8:14 AM

Uxbridge
I will be going out to Hopkinton Sat am at 8:30 am. I know Kroner is planning on coming, anyone else is welcome. DO NOT worry about your abilities!!!
I actually will be there earlier than 8:30 to do a long distance swim( I need to swim for 1 hour).

I figured we could do some swim practice (30 mins) then bike the route. For anyone who wants to run we can do that at the end. As far as the bike goes, we wont drop anyone. We will go from one intersection to the next and wait for everyone...dont worry about your bike or your ability. Do not worry about your clothing. Bring what your comfortable in, there are bath houses to change in, we can talk about what to wear on race day. Dont forget to bring goggles and a cap for the swim/ helmet and sunglasses for the bike. Max Performance is offering Open water swim clinics so you might want to check out there web site.

So who's coming to have FUN????
2008-07-30 8:19 AM
in reply to: #1569194

2008-07-30 10:11 AM
in reply to: #1569194

Beantown

Wish I could have fun with you girls - i'll be on the cape attempting to run a 5 MILER in Harwich -

Littlewing -are you running?  Where did you end up volunteering on Sunday?

2008-07-30 3:43 PM

Hi Ladies-

I'm in! Looking forward to it- I have to say that I love open water swimming.

I haven't ever been there- is there just one beach where we will meet?

Svea

2008-07-30 6:14 PM

Uxbridge
The beach is located at the opposite end of the parking lot that connects to the boat lauch area. Go to the end of the parking lot and you will see a path that leads to the beach.

Would it be OK to move the time to 8:00am? I have the opportunity to do a 2 mile swim race in the ocean at 12:00. It would really help me prepare for the race I am doing the end of August and there aren't too many of these races around ( hummm wonder why). If this is a problem for you guys PM me ...Thanks
2008-07-30 9:15 PM

Edited by Kroner 2008-07-30 9:18 PM
2008-07-31 6:14 AM
in reply to: #1571767

Hahaha Kroner- I've always used that as a motivation to lose weight (get rid of "chub rub" until I was talking to my bf's sister about it.  She looks like a Barbie...thin but athletic and SHE gets chub rub.  So much for that idea!! Haha I find the right shorts help with that alot.  I only run in tight spandex-like shorts now for that reason (alone or under skirt/shorts).  Anytime I run over 3 miles, it gets so uncomfortably bad!!! 

Mav- Good luck with your swim!  That is sooo cool.  2 miles, wow. You're such an inspiration!!!

RedSox- Here's a longwinded, excuse filled explanation for ya:

I'm moving to North Carolina to start a new job in Sept. ALL of my friends, family, and bf's family live here in Mass.  They all want to spend as much time w/me as possible before I move!!  While very flattering, I have been INSANELY busy this summer.  I have like every single weekend booked up.  Honestly, when choosing my start date in NC (Sept. 15th) the triathlon did have a big influence on that!!!  I didn't tell them of course lol

Sooooo this past weekend I went to CountryFest w/my best friends.  Kind of a tradition.  I didn't drink a single drop of alcohol..all Gatorade and water so that I would be fresh and ready to roll at 4:30 to go to the Danskin Tri.  Well....it took hours to get out of the parking lot.  Got home at 2:30, thought "hey, I can still do it".  Then I didn't fall asleep till 3:30.  I knew I wouldn't be able to stay awake for my 2 hr ride home, so I bailed.  But I felt so bad!  And I was really bummed I missed it.

Irish Pub Road Race?  Looks like so much fun!!!  My 5 mile time isn't very impressive, but its supposed to be a good time.  My friend is visiting and I doubt I can tear her from the beach but we'll see!  Good luck!

Everyone:  I'm meeting a gal and her sis at Hopkinton at 7:30 on Sunday, Aug 10th.  If anyone else is game, lemme know!  We plan on doing the bike, run, and then cooling off w/a nice swim. 

2008-07-31 7:41 AM

Uxbridge
I'll have plenty of time to swim and bike if we start at 8:00. Swim for 1/2 hour...ride for an hour... chat for 1/2 hour ...still puts me on the road bt 10 :30 race doesnt statrt until 12:00.

2008-07-31 7:43 AM
in reply to: #1572048

LittleWing - Thanks for the advice.  The day we went, I forgot my watch and we just "winged it".  I don't think we swam far enough.  I like the idea of mapping on mapmyrun as well. 

Kroner - thanks for the welcome!  I am so excited to be training for this.

To All - I would love to meet anyone at Hopkinton although I am in Michigan until Aug.14.  Maybe sometime after that?  I will check with you when I get back.  Also, being a newbie, I am really confused as to what to wear as well. Is there a brand/style of tri shorts anyone really likes? What about "how they fit" advice?  I think I would rather buy them in a store where I can try them on, but I know that will be more expensive.

For all that go on Saturday - have fun - I'm jealous! Smile

2008-07-31 8:26 AM
in reply to: #1572137

I love my skirtsports tri shorts.  They have grip at the bottom of the legs so they don't slide, and the waist band is loose with a drawstring (most have a band that squishes any fat ya have).  The patterned ones are on sale!  My mediums fit perfectly, I think they're pretty true to size..teeny bit snug but that's how they should be I think!

The patterned ones are on sale: http://www.skirtsports.com/products/SP08-trikini-bottom-print.cfm

2008-07-31 1:33 PM
in reply to: #1548651

Regular
Hi Sunny~

You swim in Medford -- I thought that was for residents only?? How is it? I live in Arlington and would love to find a close alternative to the days when I can't make it out to Walden.

Would love any suggestions you may know.

thanks!!
2008-08-01 1:11 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Title 9 Women Only Triathlon Rss Feed  

of 6