United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 45s
Overall Rank = 88/258
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/13
Pre-race routine:

This started on Saturday, had to go to pre-race briefing, missed the english version because I was putting my bike back together, so I sat in the Japanese briefing. They had the briefing using power point in english and the translator most spoke Japanese but realized some of us english speaking folks were there and told us some important stuff in english.

Next was packet pick up and I had to rack my bike for the night, no exception. It was there in the AM!

Woke up at 4:30 gathered my stuff and when I went to put my backpack on I pulled a muscle in my back, bummer! I just started walking to transition from my hotel jamming to a few of my favorite songs taking deep breaths and by the time I got there the excitement set in and my back was not an issue. Got my markings which included my age on my leg, so we all knew who was in our age group! The Olympic start went by age groups. Got my timing chip and headed into transition to set up. Some one forgot her sunglass, I had extra and gave her them. I always try to bring two of those just in case. Some one forgets something. We were kicked out of transition as 5:45 for the start of the Olympic event at 6:00 am we didn't start until 7:30...

Event warmup:

I had friend doing the Olympic, so I pumped her up for the swim; her first mile! She did great. While she was swimming and I waiting for my start I just chatted with folks. She came out of the water & cheered her on through transition and then it was time to start getting ready; which included emptying the bladder, grabbing some water, talking some more, & oh yeah I stretched.
Swim
  • 08m 16s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

I ran in and did some dolphin type strokes and got ahead of mostly everyone and started swimming, there was a guy with us and don't know why but I passed him and then some one pulled next to me, I ditched her and next thing I was rounding the last buoy and I must say I was in perfect positioned then I was catching the slow guys and it seem like a few of them.
What would you do differently?:

Not breath most every stroke, I think I just get too excited and my practiced breathing goes out, still manage to swim fast probably faster if I payed more attention to this, I think a longer distance I would get more into that groove.
Transition 1
  • 03m 27s
Comments:

This transition includes a long run from the beach to my bike, barefooted so I went as fast without getting hurt. Wasn't able to jump onto bike had to stop at blue line and it was too congested at that time.

nothing
Bike
  • 34m 40s
  • 11.52 miles
  • 19.94 mile/hr
Comments:

I love my new bike! He is fast... but I got a bit frustrated when I could not pass because someone was in the passing lane not passing. Then it happened about three times bunch ups and I had trouble getting around them and I actually had to slow down to try not and draft!!! And the ref/judge was with me the whole time!!! Not fair and I was definitely trying not to draft. I got penalized!!!! I hope everyone else too! Because I wasn't alone and when we got bunched up I think we were all trying to break up the best we could with the limited space available. Some guy was even riding in the left lane and the judge yelled at him and he yelled back to the judge I am trying not to draft, I guess there were too many of together. What up!

I guess really pay attention to the three bike distance rule, I was definitely thinking about it and obeying it but what do you do when everyone bunches up!
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

This went smooth except one of my quick yanks on my runners did not work, luckily it was on my good foot, had to stop right at the transition timer to pull down on it again and then realized it had broke.

Make sure my quick yanks are working!
Run
  • 32m 56s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 09m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

So I had to run with one loose sneaker. Left foot arch was tight and my calf seemed OK, I had my pacing watch on and it seemed to work perfectly. I definitely ran as hard as I could. We were at this point mixed with the Olympic guys and most of them were just starting there second loop and it hurt when they passed me, you could tell by the numbers, theirs were a lot lower than ours and I recognized some from the start, good for them! Oh yeah it was hot and dumped the water on me instead of drinking and that felt sooooo good.

Well I just started running again a couple months ago and have I started very slowly and as I got closer to the race I was increasing the intensity and maybe a little too much and ended up getting a tight calf and little shin splint. I just have to be more patient and not push my run. It so hard when you used to run at a faster pace but now you can't...
Post race
Warm down:

They gave us very cold bottle water at the finish, I walked around for a good five minutes, found my friends husband and cheered my friend doing the Olympic in! Then I went to the medic tent and Iced my left foot and calf. Then I went to find the results realized I got second place in my age group! I started crying, such a sap...So I went back to my hotel, ate my leftovers from the night before, showered and quickly disassembled my bike, to ship back home with me.(I am becoming a bike mechanic!) Went back to the event to get my hardware and they announced my name as third and being a little confused asked what happened and they yelled I was penalized!!!!!! What a bummer but It seems when I race the judge is always right there! Is it just me??? They penalized me two minutes and still came in third in my age group and I was 30 secs behind number one before the penalty!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injury. Other bikers in my way. :)

Event comments:

This is a very organized race and run very effectively considering they have two events going on. If you are doing the sprint be prepared that you are going to be sitting around about 1:45 minutes waiting for your race start. Oh yeah watch out for drafting!!! Try your hardest to be three bike lengths away, I guess brake if you have too!

(my race time is posted without the 2 minute penalty)

Last updated: 2008-04-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:16 | 400 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/13
Overall: 25/258
Performance: Good
Suit: tri
Course: Out and back along the big yellow buoys
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:27
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:34:40 | 11.52 miles | 19.94 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/13
Overall: 53/258
Wind: Little
Course: Starts in magic island parking lot heads out along Ala Moana park which includes speed bumps that are close together. Heads out to Nimitz highway which is very flat and turns around at Lagoon drive and heads the same way back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:56 | 03.5 miles | 09m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/13
Overall: 114/258
Performance: Average
Course: Flat course out of Ala Moana down Nimitz highway loop back into park and around Magic Island which was very pretty along the ocean to the finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-19 1:21 PM

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
Subject: Honolulu Triathlon - Sprint

2008-05-19 3:05 PM
in reply to: #1411272

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
Subject: RE: Honolulu Triathlon - Sprint
Great race Nancy despite your injury. That's still a good time! Well done.
2008-05-19 5:53 PM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Nice job Nancy....sux that the course is not wider so that there was no worries of drafting! but just the same...GREAT JOB ON A THIRD PLACE! CONGRATS! and take care of that back...hope it is still not tweaked!
2008-05-19 7:48 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Awesome Job Nancy! You are fast, fast, fast!!!
2008-05-19 9:49 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Way to race it, sounds like the bike was a bit congested.  You overcame a lot and got 3rd. 
2008-05-20 8:38 AM

User image

Expert
Hawaii
Woo-hoo! You placed WITH a penalty!  Congrats, congrats, congrats.  I can only imagine how you felt to be out there racing again.  Awesome times, too!

2008-10-13 1:35 PM

User image

Decorah, IA
Great job!
I look forward to the challenge this next May.
Coming to HI for a conference and the event happens to be the same week.
Couldn't miss it. Need to register still...
Have a great week.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Honolulu Triathlon - Sprint Rss Feed