Syttende Mai Run
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 14m
Overall Rank = 233/375
Age Group = M3539
Age Group Rank = 29/35
Pre-race routine:

Up and at'em at 3:30. Breakfast of 16oz of Gatorade and a toasted bagel with peanut butter. Packed the car with my road bike and gear just in case I feel like tacking some bike time on after the race. If you're going to dream, you might as well dream big.

Parking was easy in Stoughton and I walked a few blocks to loosen up the legs a little. Got on the bus that took us to Madison and enjoyed the scenic ride.
Event warmup:

Wandered around the farmers market around the capitol building in Madison to kill time. Made my last stop at the portapotty just in time to shed the sweats, stow them on the bus and get lined up.
Run
  • 3h 14m
  • 20 miles
  • 09m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Considering the small field of runners starting in Madison, there were a lot of spectators at the start. I started at a pace that was probably a bit too fast for me (mid 8s) and attacked the early hills a bit too aggresively. If this was a half marathon, I would have run it about right. The problem was that I still had 7 miles of rolling hills to go after that. My goal was to pace out at 9:30, which would have been a solid conservative pace considering the hilly nature of the course. I would have probably been able to do it if I had much in the way of mental discipline. As it turns out, I don't.
What would you do differently?:

Start at a slower pace. I think I may have burned myself up in the first 10 miles with the hills. I walked a number of times in the last 5 miles that I could have probably pushed through if I had anything in the way of discipline.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, oranges, and bananas. I could feel the left quad start to twinge in the recovery area. It never cramped, but I could tell that it would have if I went another couple of miles; just like at the marathon in Duluth last year. Gonna pick up some Succeed tablets next weekend and train with them for a few weeks to acclimate and hopefully avoid cramping altogether in June. Let's just say that I did not need to bring my bike for a post-race ride.

After I rested for a little, I met up with tribadger (Eric) and retiretotri (Lori) in park at the finish line to chat while the awards were being announced. The announcer did not call my name. Turns out that I just missed finshing in first place by an hour and 20 minutes. So close! Maybe next time.

I wandered downtown and got a couple of brats as a post-race treat. Yum!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mental discipline. My legs never gave out, but I never gave them a chance to. Maybe that wasn't such a bad strategy considering this was an aggressive training run for my number 1 race in June. Still, I think if I had pushed myself a little more, I could have shaved the last 4 minutes off my finish time.

Event comments:

This was a very well organized small race. The police support along the course was fantastic and exceeded my expectations. They were at every intersection. Even though the course was basically through the country, there were scattered spectators all along the course. There were plenty of volunteers at the aid stations and at every turn of the course. It was amazingly organized and supported for a small race.

Running a race that is part of a weekend of festival activities is always a good thing. The race was just part of it. The little town of Stoughton was alive with festival goers as we pulled into town and even though they were not necessarily lined up to see the runners come into town, they cheered and encouraged us on all the same.

Last updated: 2008-04-29 12:00 AM
Running
03:14:00 | 20 miles | 09m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/35
Overall: 233/375
Performance: Below average
Course: Started at the capitol building, made a loop around the block, then headed south past the Alliant Energy Center and headed south out of town via country roads all the way. The farm country scenery was great and the northwest tailwind was the stuff you dream of.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes