General Discussion Race Reports! » Brentwood 5K & 10K Run and Fun Walk Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Brentwood 5K & 10K Run and Fun Walk - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Brentwood, California
United States
W2 Promotions
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 31m 41s
Overall Rank = 509/827
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 26/56
Pre-race routine:

I tossed and turned from 3am til 6am, so finally gave in and got up. Race started at 8am. Had some coffee and a bowl of cheerios. Got dressed, got my daughter up. Stretched while she ate. We went and picked up her dad, who kindly agreed to come with us so she was taken care of while I ran.
Event warmup:

Could not find a parking spot to save our lives, and I am too cheap to pay $10 for parking for a half hour race! Finally found a spot and when I got out of the car, it was 7:56. Crap! 4 mins til race time and I was a little under a half mile from the start line. So my warmup was a mad dash to the start line! I was sweating when I got there, and fortunately they didn't start on time, so I had time to do a quick ham, quad, aductor, and calf stretch!
Run
  • 31m 41s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Man, I always wondered why they offer those saliva replacement packets at races. Today, I understood! Next time, I'm carrying one in my race belt. I thought I was gonna choke! Man was my throat dry.

So much easier to run without having to do all that swim and bike nonsense before! ;-) I did work much harder on this run than I've done in triathlons; my heart was burning!

At mile 1, the guy called out 10:08. I was SUPER psyched! So I tried to keep it up, literally, as the course started to go up. I felt myself falling into training rhythm and had to remind myself to keep turning those feet over at a more rapid cadence.

At mile 2, the guy called out 20-something. At this point, I couldn't feel my legs and really wanted to stop, but I was thinking I could close in on 10 min miles if I just held on. When I saw the finish line, I really tried to go harder, and I felt my head hanging on my chest, so I made myself get upright more, and really pumped my arms to help get my feet off the ground, and I ran like my life depended on it!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked for about 6 mins, found my daughter, who asked if I was tired. I said I was, and she said, "then lay down". So I did! Then we walked a bit more, trying to find the car. Didn't hang around for any post race activities. I got what I wanted from the race and was content. So we went home.

As we pulled in the garage, I got an overwhelming sense of hunger, so we walked over to a nice Jewish deli a block from our house, and I pigged out. Very satisfying. Now I have my warm fluffy pjs on and I'm gonna take a nap. (It's c-c-cold here today!)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. This is the fastest I've ever run.

Last updated: 2008-05-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:31:41 | 03.11 miles | 10m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/56
Overall: 0/827
Performance: Good
Course: Mainly flat, small 1/4 mile incline on the way out, which was a descent on the way back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-25 1:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Santa Monica, CA
Subject: Brentwood 5K & 10K Run and Fun Walk

2008-05-25 2:41 PM
in reply to: #1423651

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-05-27 11:45 AM

Master
Long Beach, CA
Subject: RE: Brentwood 5K & 10K Run and Fun Walk
Great job on the PR today! Woo hoo! You are getting fast, girl! You're sure going to kick my butt at Redondo!
2008-05-27 1:26 PM

Veteran
Owings, MD

Great race, Dana! 

2008-05-27 3:19 PM

Expert
I'm a Tennessee girl living in SoCal.
WTG on a great race, Dana! Sorry I wasn't able to make it out.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Brentwood 5K & 10K Run and Fun Walk Rss Feed