General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri for Our Veterans Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri for Our Veterans Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sea Isle City, New Jersey
United States
Piranha Sports
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 23m 27s
Overall Rank = 148/350
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 27/62
Pre-race routine:

Awoke at 5:00 and left Cape May, NJ by 5:20. Ate a bannana, powerbar and drank some OJ and part of a 16oz Wawa coffee. Arrived at friends house in Sea Isle Cith, NJ by 6:00. Unloaded bike.
Event warmup:

Rode bike approx 2 miles from 79th street to transiton area at 42nd street. Got numbered (#60), put on chip and set up transition area. (Note: for beach tri's bring small bucket to wash sand off feet in transition from swim to bike. I used a water bottle but it slowed my transition time) Put on wetsuit about 30 minutes before start but unzipped to waist w/ running shirt on for pre-race meeting. Did get into ocean water prior to race to prep myself. It was COLD! They said 60 deg but it was actually 55 deg. I'm glad I dida pre-race dip as the initial shock would have been more significant. (some women near me used some choice words to describe how they felt as we waded in the waist deep ocean water...I can't type them here as they used some choice four letter words to describe the water temp..)..
Swim
  • 10m 35s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

Water was COLD and heart rate and breathing were erratic as I fought the bitter salt water and other 150+ swimmers to get into postion. Two swimmers were pulled out by lifeguards rounding the first buoy. I did try to set my stroke and breathing at approx. the 150 meter mark but the cold water was sapping me and I never did get to bilateral breathing. I did site the buoys and noticed I was consistently going to my left and had to get back on course. Slow to get around 2nd bouy as swimmers jammed up. Leaving water was a relief due to cold. I did feel disoriented and sluggish as I ran up the beach due to the effects of the cold water I suspect. Hit the beach and ran into transition area. Time of 10:35 I felt was poor but mostly due to mass of bodies and cold water. Swim wasn't long enough though to separate the pack. Top time was in the 8 minutes and good bikers can make the lost swim time up.
What would you do differently?:

With water temps in the mid 50's I would wear a full wetsuit vs my shorty. Also unzip the wetsuit leaving the water to prepare for transition. I lost a full minute I suspect in transition area vs. my friend. I pulled a 3:25 transition where he pulled a 2:28. Otherwise I felt I was prepared for the short 400 meter swim and didn't struggle with strength or conditioning but the cold water was an energy sapper and significant shock to the cardio system.
Transition 1
  • 03m 25s
Comments:

Unzip wetsuit prior to transition. Waved to family as they yelled for me so I probably lost a few seconds looking for them(but WELL worth that shot of energy...almost teared up as they yelled for me..very nice) Otherwise I felt I was organized but just didn't move fast enough. Also took time to clean sand off my feet with water bottle and dry them. Could have just brought a bucket, dunked them in and tossed on my bike socks and shoes.

Unzip wetsuit prior to transition area and MOVE FASTER! Bring bucket to clean sand off of feet.
Bike
  • 41m 39s
  • 12.3 miles
  • 17.72 mile/hr
Comments:

Have to get more experience on the bike. I did push a bit but felt like I needed to save my legs for the run. Was passed pretty consistenly by stronger bikers. Felt that this leg was the game changer for many as stronger bikers can make up for a slower swim. Swim wasn't long enough to seperate the pack. Pace of 17-18 miles per hour was significantly slower than I need to be to place higher. Need to get 20 MPH+ for next race.

Train more consistently on a 'real' bike outside vs. spin classes and do more bricks of bike to run. Will train for bike portion of next race on more hilly terrain to build stamina and endurance.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

This transition went much better. 1:20 was a decent time. I stripped my shoes quickly and having the lace locks helped me just toss on the running shoes and hit the beach. Slugged a raspberry GU and took a sip of Cytomax before hitting the beach for the run. Felt pretty good.

Not much. Probably take Gu pack with me on the bike to save time in transition. Best transition time I saw was 57 seconds so there's time for improvement but overall I felt good.
Run
  • 26m 29s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Hitting the beach was certainly challenging. The sand was solid but jumping the beach breakers was a challenge. I focused on keeping a solid pace and watching runners in front of me. My legs did feel like quitting a few times but I worked through the fatigue and some minor inner quad cramping. (mostly due to lack of time on a 'real' bike) I was surprised to average an 8:33 mile as it felt like I was going much slower. Last 100 meters of race finished on soft sand which was like a cruel trick when trying to push to finish. Overall I felt good afterward.

Do more bike/run bricks.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank water and ate some oranges and water ice. Just walked around to meet up with family and friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training on a real bike. I few MPH better on the bike and I finish in the top 1/3rd of the race. Also I felt I was limited by overal fatigue created by lack of sleep the two nights before the race. Visiting family and sleeping on a futon without proper support led to restless sleeps Thurs and Fri night. Also drank a few pre-race dinner brews and should have stuck to water. I probably need to drop a few lbs off the body as well to improve my time. Currently weigh in about 190 and should be 175-180 for my height.

Event comments:

Very well organized race! Nice job to everyone involved. Plenty of volunteers supporting us on the bike route! They were cheering and calling out numbers. Overall I am ready to come back next year and improve on my performance!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-03-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:35 | 440 yards | 02m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/62
Overall: 126/350
Performance: Below average
Suit: 5mm Short wetsuit
Course: Ocean swim start by running into surt to first bouy 100 meters out; turn and go 200 meters north; turn and swim/wade 100 meters into beach.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 55F / 13C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:25
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:41:39 | 12.3 miles | 17.72 mile/hr
Overall: 174/350
Wind: Some
Course: Straight and flat, some minor technical turns at 42nd street and 79th street.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:29 | 03.1 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Overall: 134/350
Performance: Good
Course: Flat, hard pack sand. Did have to jump the beach breakers which added to the challenge.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-25 9:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
Subject: Tri for Our Veterans Sprint Triathlon

2008-05-27 4:11 PM
in reply to: #1424114

User image

Veteran
Bucks County
Subject: RE: Tri for Our Veterans Sprint Triathlon
Coldest water I've probably ever been in!

Congrats on your race. Keep up the good work.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri for Our Veterans Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed