Total Time = 1h 15m 19s
Overall Rank = 17/86
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/12
Pre-race routine:

6 drinks to get to sleep.

Up at 5:45. Ate a power bar.
Event warmup:

Got there late and only ran for 5 minutes to warm-up. Stretched too.
Run
  • 14m 49s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran harder for a first run than normal. Slowed because of the HR monitor though. That was an OK thing because I puttered out towards the end of the race. The run is still slow though. As a better comparison of my improvement than the speed (which gets scewed because distances are inacurrate and conditions vary) I have compared myself for each part of the race to two of the top 5 to 10 competitors that ran this race and my first of the year, the Delaware Duathlon. I normalized all my data to the distances of this race.

Against my two control racers, I improved 29 seconds on them for a 2 mile run.
What would you do differently?:

Drink more.
Transition 1
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

Did not screw up getting clipped in this time. Finally! (technically though clipping in is measured in the bike time). However, I did screw up finding my bike. I went to the wrong 40-44 year old rack and thought my bike got moved. I looked for about 10 seconds.

Remember where I parked.
Bike
  • 33m 48s
  • 13.04 miles
  • 23.15 mile/hr
Comments:

Pushed the bike so that David (mentor) could see that I was faster than I had shown so far. Here is my comparison to my two control riders from both this race and the Delaware Duathlon:

I gained on their average time (adjusted to 13.04 miles) by 91 seconds. One of the two beat me by 2:47 in the first event (when adjusting to 13.04 miles) and only 19 seconds in this one.

I puttered out in the last three miles. My left leg just could not keep up with my right leg. I fought with that the whole ride but gave in a bit at the end. I did not completely give up my effort, but just stopped pushing it so hard. I guess I need to train more to be able to push the whole way as hard as I tried.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

Was feeling parched. And my left leg and both calves were a hurting. I took some time to drink some fluids and walked out of the transition area. I stretched my calves some in transition too.

Train more.
Run
  • 24m 48s
  • 3.08 miles
  • 08m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

I really spent the first mile in a surrender mode. With each step both of my calves threatened to cramp up. My left thigh was hurting too. I stopped twice to stretch the calves and my mental effort had slipped a lot. After that mile the legs felt much better and I started getting back into race mode. I probably ran that mile close to 10 minutes.

This is a good example of why I chose to compare myself to the other two. This time is about 60 seconds slower (for 3.08 reported miles) than the reported 5K at Delaware. But, I was 1 second faster in comparision to the other two. Without that comparison I might conclude I was more than 60 seconds slower.

Hydrate and train more.
Post race
Warm down:

I ran for about 1 minute, ate a bananna, drank some water, and stretched.

Event comments:

I love the UltraFit events. I am really not sure why I see so many good comments here and there about HFP in comparision to UltraFit. Maybe UltraFit has improved. The UltraFit races are/have: on time, organized, provide nice awards (sometimes announce the winners), good safe courses, good announcer... UltraFit also uses a USAT official. He pratrols the course and goes over the rules before the race. This is so beneficial to safety as well as good times. Only ONE rider in this event was blocking in the middle of the road (of the 25 riders I passed). There were at least 8 dudes doing the same thing in the HFP race. HFP chooses to pray before the race, I wish they spent that time acting like they took my money to give me a nice safe race, then go over the rules for all the slow beginners. This statement is not about prayer, theology, religion, or religious freedom. Its about (as my grade school teachers would say) using one's time wisely. I think if Jesus himself was a race organizer, he would spend his time before a race he charged me $55 dollars for, to make sure folks knew how to follow rules that would protect my safety and run a good clean race.

Last updated: 2008-04-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:14:49 | 02 miles | 07m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/12
Overall: 41/86
Performance: Good
I tried to get data but my HR montitor was always showing 228-240. I actually started to believe it and slowed down. Later on the bike I concluded it had been wrong. But data was worthless.
Course: I like the course. It was a gravel road all withing the Park. Some rolling hills, all pretty, and I don't mind running in gravel at all.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
T1
Time: 01:04
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:33:48 | 13.04 miles | 23.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/12
Overall: 6/86
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Flat course with only a few rolling hills. Little trafic. Of the 40 competitors to finish the run in front of me, I passed 1 in transition, and 25 more on the bike course! That was fun. (2 of those 26 would pass me back during the final run). One of the road sections had repetitive cracks/bumps in the road. Every 10 seconds a hard "thump thump" on the tires and frame. The yellow thingy in my profile aero drink bottle had popped out in the first 1/4 mile of the race and at each bump I was splashed with my drink. Mostly the surface was smooth.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:24:48 | 03.08 miles | 08m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/12
Overall: 31/86
Performance: Average
Course: Same as short course just longer.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-05-26 6:46 PM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio
Subject: Tin Man Duathlon

2008-05-27 7:04 AM
in reply to: #1424904

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: RE: Tin Man Duathlon
Great job on the race... Smoking bike split.
2008-05-29 7:23 AM
in reply to: #1424904

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, MD
Subject: RE: Tin Man Duathlon
Nice job!  Your bike was great and I'm surprised that 7:25 min miles on the 1st leg didn't place you higher in the AG.  Regardless you are doing awesome and making steady improvements.  Keep it up!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tin Man Duathlon Rss Feed