United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 23m 57s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 3/
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 6AM, got dressed, cereal w/ milk for breakfast (no tea this morning). Got to the event around 7:20, registered, used the porta-potties.
Event warmup:

Easy run around parking lot area, building to a little slower than projected race pace. Felt good, ready to run.
Run
  • 23m 57s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Just decided to run as fast as I felt I could - which with the nice terrain for the first mile was under 7min - yeah! The second mile had many more hills, so my pace dropped off more than I would like, but with the humidity my lungs couldn't handle much more this morning. By the third mile, I was ready to be done - as always with a 5K - and I just tried to keep people around me in sight. Final kick near the finish line - thank goodness I'm done. The course was a little long according to my garmin, but that could've been the line I ran.
What would you do differently?:

I want to say I couldn've pushed a little harder on the hills in mile two - but I didn't think I could at the time. I have a long ways to go to meet my sub 23 goal for this year. :)

At the same time - I kind of thought my last PR was a fluke, but this wasn't far off it. I guess I'm a faster runner than I admit, which is kinda cool.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, got some water and a taste of BBQ, stretched. Peeked over the shoulder of the awards guys until they asked what AG I was looking for. I was NOT expecting an award, but I didn't want to leave if I got one. Surprisingly, THIRD PLACE!! With such a large AG split (20-29), I really didn't expect it, but it was a fun surprise.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing really, just couldn't run faster this morning. :)

Event comments:

Nice race, low-key but with average size participation. Nice start to the memorial weekend.

Last updated: 2008-05-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:57 | 03.11 miles | 07m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Lap 1: 06m 58s, 1.00 miles, 06m 58s /mile, Max HR 190, Avg HR 181 Lap 2: 08m 08s, 1.00 miles, 08m 08s /mile, Max HR 194, Avg HR 191 Lap 3: 07m 44s, 1.00 miles, 07m 44s /mile, Max HR 193, Avg HR 189 Lap 4: 01m 08s, 0.15 miles, 07m 43s /mile, Max HR 198, Avg HR 194
Course: Around the perimeter mall area, rolling hills (more than I like ;)).
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes