General Discussion Race Reports! » DeSoto American Triple-T Race # 2 Individual Time Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

DeSoto American Triple-T Race # 2 Individual Time - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Portsmouth, Ohio
United States
48F / 9C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 44m 14s
Overall Rank = 135/285
Age Group = Sr. 24-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Alarm went off at 4:30. I drank an ensure, had a PB bagel and a banana. We arrived at the race site shortly after 6:00 and there were less than 5 people there. Awesome. It was really cold out so I tried to stay in the car until the last humanly possible moment.
Event warmup:

I took the bike for a brief spin and then focused on stretching. This was the first of two races for the day. I popped a gu about 15 minutes prior to start and put on the wetsuit. I got into the frigid water and tried to loosen up a bit.
Swim
  • 24m 44s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

Time trial start again, waded about 20m into the water before you could swim. I caught a great draft going out to the first buoy and on the backside of the course. Close to the end of the first lap the leaders swam over me. I tried to catch feet. For a brief moment I held with the likes of Gordo Byrn, Bruce Gennari and Craig Evans.

I made the turn for the second lap and once again found me some happy feet. I felt good for this swim. I found a stroke rhythm that seemed to work. I was not so lucky with the draft on the way back.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I thought it was a good swim. The swim time includes time wasted wading and running to transition
Transition 1
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

I took my time and even stopped for a pose. I got the wetsuit off pretty easily. I was really cold at this point and debated riding with socks but decided against it. It was time to go

My focus this weekend was NOT transition. I wanted to take my time and do it right since 10-15s weren't going to make a difference.
Bike
  • 1h 22m 32s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 18.03 mile/hr
Comments:

Again, this was the first of two races for the day so I wanted to keep a moderately aggressive pace. The course had a nice climb stuck in the middle of it and took you down to your easiest gear and out of the saddle. You could feel the pounding. It also had a screaming descent. Not fun on a tri bike with carbon wheels (I hated this all weekend).

It flattened out for bit until it climbed back to the park. The final climb was a bitch all weekend. You climbed the same hill a total of 4 times. It was really difficult to hold back during a race. I could feel some burning in my legs and I was already worried about the next few races.

Nutrition: bottle of Infinit, some gel(s)

I felt like I held a good pace. My HRM was acting screwy but when it settled down I was in steady z2.
Transition 2
  • 00m 66s
Comments:

Same transition, same story. I easily got my feet out of the shoes prior to dismount to make my run easier. I almost missed my rack as I pulled off too early (I was frequently the first one back in my area). I popped on the running shoes and was read for a nice run.

Good transition
Run
  • 53m 52s
  • 6.55 miles
  • 08m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I wanted this to be a zone 2 run. It was really difficult to race and tell yourself to hold back. My plan was to run 8:30-8:45 in the morning. My HRM wasn't working so I had to mentally think about RPE. I found a guy to run with and he wanted to run 8:30s at an easy pace. We made a deal to talk the entire run and if we couldn't keep a conversation, then we were going to hard. It seemed to work. You really benefited from the downhills as we began doing 7:30. I was VERY happy with this run

Run more trails and hills.
Post race
Warm down:

I took off my shoes immediately and stood in line for food. I had about four hours until the next race so I could completely pigged out. I did grab some fruit, pbj sandwich and some pretzels then went to sit down. We decided to stay at the race site between races so I broke out the foam roller and lounge chair.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. More hill training would help. I predicted a 2:50 race so I again executed my race plan nearly perfectly.

Event comments:

This race was so cool. Everyone was so chilled and relaxed. The RD kinda just let things happen. It was cold so people were sluggish moving beforehand so instead of barking orders he just let things happen. We started late but it gave the time for the sun to come out and warm things up. No one cared.

Great volunteers on the run course. Aid stations at mile 1, just beyond mile 2 and at mile 3.25 (turnaround). This worked. There are no bottle exchanges.

Last updated: 2008-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:44 | 1640 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/285
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Evo
Course: 2 loop counter clockwise.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 56F / 13C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:59
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:22:32 | 24.8 miles | 18.03 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Nice ride through the rural area of the forest. The road conditions were not great. They were doing construction on the road so you had to go across several rivets that kept you alert. Tons of people lost their nutrition.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:66
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:53:52 | 06.55 miles | 08m 13s  min/mile
Mile 1: 8:28; Mile 2: 8:44; Mile 3: 8:35; Mile 4: 8:46; Mile 5: 7:29; Mile 6: 7:53; 1/2 Mile: 5:53
Course: This was the first chance to see the course. Nearly all trail running on a packed dirt/gravel. The first 2.8 miles were on an incline with strong climbs. You descended to turnaround and then climbed back up the hill. The first 2+ miles were slight downhills with flats built in.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-28 4:23 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Subject: DeSoto American Triple-T Race # 2 Individual Time

2008-05-28 5:03 PM
in reply to: #1429432

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Subject: RE: DeSoto American Triple-T Race # 2 Individual Time
Giddyup. Solid race, GC.
2008-06-06 6:52 PM
in reply to: #1429432

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Subject: RE: DeSoto American Triple-T Race # 2 Individual Time

Awesome... the whole weekend was not only about challenging yourself and testing your limits but about figuring out exactly how much you could give in each race and how to regroup for the next and it sounds like you nailed that (thus far at least... I still gotta read the last two RRs! ).

I'll need to see a picture of you in the lounge chair playing with the foam roller.  TIA.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » DeSoto American Triple-T Race # 2 Individual Time Rss Feed