Set Up Events
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 42m 17s
Overall Rank = 9/37
Age Group = 35-40
Age Group Rank = 2/3
Pre-race routine:

Set up transition area and waited for the start. I was not expecting much from this race due to lack of preparation. My thoughts were keep it smart and finish the race under 8 hours. I chatted with friends and visted the potter party several times. Hot morning.
Event warmup:

Very light stretch and barely jogged. My legs felt heavy and tired.
Run
  • 22m 6s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out the blocks too fast as usual. I ran sub 6 half of the race and then I had to force my body to slow down. I could not feel my tired heavy legs as soons as I started running. The pace was good and great running mechanics. It was a moderately tough course. A sign for a long day.
What would you do differently?:

Maintain a better consistent pace. I should have keep it closer to a 7:45 pace. This is not a sprint event.
Transition 1
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

I took all my transition slow. What's the rush. I am no pro. I took my time to change in and out of my gear and focus on my next task. Joked and chatted with some relay team members stationed close to my area. It was nice not to have run out of the transition area -- my bike rack is 50 feet away to the bike start -- sweet.

Pick up the pace.
Bike
  • 2h 59m 9s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.76 mile/hr
Comments:

I was extremely worried about the bike course as I come into this race. I hardly put in any quality bike workouts preparation for this race due to work committments. I knew if I did poorly in this race is becuase I bonked on my bike. So, I was nervous. My ultimate goal is try to maintain a 19mph pace in this bike course -- nothing spectacular but a safe smart pace for myself. I had my Powerman Alabama nightmare scenario playing in my head throughout the bike course. This is helpful and a reminder not to be stupid silly. There were some tough hills and freakishly fun descents. A very technical course. I used all the descents to my advantage. I am proud to say that I did not stand up pedalling during all my hill climbs. I just like passing others during a hill. I am not a great flat course rider. I am just so elated that I reached the transition area with a chance to achieve my race time goal. Nutrition was great. I drank more water than any sport drinks. I took a gel pack every 30 minutes. My legs were fresh and morale is good. The temperature by now reached africa hot.

Put in more trainning.
Transition 2
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

I took my time again. Joked with the relay team. Accessed how my legs are doing. I felt a slight discomfort base on my right foot. Other than that my legs were fine.

Pick up the pace.
Run
  • 2h 17m 7s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Laboring. The weather was high 80s by now. I basically slow jog the entire course. I quads gave me some problems and I had to stop several times to massage them. I kept my hydration well. Perpeteum was not doing anything to help. I change my nutrition to plain old water with gel packs. I iced my back every chance I find ice at aid stations. Fold wet towel packed with ice on my neck. Everyone is dragging their legs by this point. I convinced myself not to even try to push my pace because I can reached my ultimate goal of completing the race under 6 hours by slow jogging. Hence, I jogged and enjoy the hot weather. The last 2 miles were the toughest and longest in my life. It was nice to descent the last mile of the course before running a slight incline quarter mile to the finishing line. I finished strong with a smile. Joy of joys. I have done it.

Put in more training and do some bricks as preparation.
Post race
Warm down:

I ate everything I saw in my sight. Hydrate. Cool down under the cold water sprinkler tent. Waited for the race results and had a free massage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training and the weather.

Event comments:

There is a reason why I rated this race organization so low. Rock N Rollman is primarily a triathlon event. This year the organizers added several more disciplines and they IGNORE the participants of these new events. I do not appreciate to be treated like a second citizen. We are all here to have fun therefore treat all in an equal manner. I was greeted with a initial rude awakening during the race package pickup. The line was LONG and we are standing under the HOT weather. Many athletes were complaining about the slow chaotic process. The person in charge of the package pick up was RUDE especially to duathletes. I happened to know this because there were a few of us in the same time. The race package WERE a JOKE. All I received were other race event brochures and magazines and a techincal shirt. Please stop wasting trees and try to include some meaningful gifts in the goody bag. Please refer to Powerman Alabama's goody bag contents, for a start. Water bottles were only given to selective few. Event visors are ONLY for triathletes -- I certainly got a CLEAR message from that "sweet" lady. How appalled am I? Next issue -- race results of the duathlon were not posted until I reminded them politely that we existed. They apologized for the small oversight. And lastly, the awards. So many conflicting information. Once official said, yes, awards will be given to top 3 in all AG and overall placments. Then the other will say only the first placement in overall and AG will be awarded. By this point the weather is close to 90s and I am not happy. I congratulated all my fellow duathletes/friends for a well deserving win and I drove home. I am not being petty here. I could care less about the award hardware. I am just asking for a fair treatment across the board. I felt so badly for my friend for not receieving her hardware placing 3rd overall. I read the website again just now and according to the info, I should receive a hardware also. Who knows and I don't care. If I do, they better mail it to me. Pronto! I don't want a severe farmer tan as a prove that I raced in this event, a nice hardware would be nice. Hah!

Ok, that was the negatives. The good points of this race are:
1. A tough honest course. I think this race course does test your abilities and make an honest person out of you. It did on me. This is my first half iron distance and I am proud to say I have done it and finished it with a smile.
2. Courses are clearly marker and adequate aid stations. Great volunteers.
3. Post race activities were good. There's free beer if you so incline to have some .....

I left this race with a bittersweet experience. I enjoyed the race itself. Tough and challenging but fun( if I can use the word "fun"). The bitterness were solely due to the treatment of other athletes beside triathletes. If the organizers want to continue to include duathlon, aquathlon events -- my personal advise is to not neglect these athletes. A sense of inclusion is a must -- since we pay the same race fees, you better treat them equally. It is just good business sense.

Will I race in this event again? Probably not. I love the challenging course and I would like to record a new PR next year but the poor treatment I experienced left an undiserable taste in my mouth. If the organizers have some sense they should remedy this issue quickly.

A personal milestone set -- I am happy and feeling the pain now.

CHEERS to all and have a great season.

Last updated: 2008-06-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:06 | 03.11 miles | 07m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 2/37
Performance: Good
Course: Straight out from the park and back -- neighborhood paved road. Downhill fisrt quarter mile and then uphill all the way. Turn around at mid way point.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
T1
Time: 01:40
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
02:59:09 | 56 miles | 18.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/3
Overall: 10/37
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: A never ending hilly course with a few great freakisly steep descent.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:16
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:17:07 | 13.1 miles | 10m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/3
Overall: 10/37
Performance: Below average
Course: An extension of the 5K course with much more hills to come. Never ending inclines.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-06-01 10:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
Subject: Rock N Rollman Duathlon 2008

2008-06-02 9:14 AM
in reply to: #1436274

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: Rock N Rollman Duathlon 2008
"Africa Hot"... heh..

Sorry your experience with the organizers was bad. I'm not sure why that was. I can assure you that some of them are people who put cyclists well ahead of triathetes. I am inclined to think that these were first year issues. I also heard that the race was oversold. That's no excuse though. 

Be sure to write the race director an email indicating your concerns. The only way to make this into a top notch event for all participants, is to let them know what soured your experience as an athlete. Also, don't give up on it because of this one experience. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock N Rollman Duathlon 2008 Rss Feed