General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Experience needed for IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-01 4:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Experience needed for IM
How much triathlon experience should you have before doing a full IM?  I have been a long distance runner and swimmer for the last several years.  I have limited cycling experience but want to work for the full IM next year (July 09).  If you can commit to a training schedule and can do the distance, does this make sense?  Thanks!

2008-06-01 4:51 PM
in reply to: #1436638

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
Subject: RE: Experience needed for IM
I think so, but I suck at swimming and am signing up for an oly and HIM this fall.  Good luck to us both   Seriously, go for it!!
2008-06-03 4:23 PM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Well, I can't comment based on first hand experience because I haven't done a full IM yet. But when I had this question last year, I was told it was best to get a few Half IM's in before trying the full. Wait a year or two. I do know of people who do jump in headfirst into the full, so it can be done. And especially if you have the discipline already for competing in long distance events.

If you got the swimming experience, that's big, but my feeling is that the cycling portion is the most important leg of the race, so your inexperience there might be a factor. It does seem to take a few years to develop fully.

And having said all that, ithere really is no one answer. It's really what you're up for. Young? Older? Good discipline? Available time? Ability to focus on one goal? Are you just trying to finish, regardless of time?
2008-06-03 4:39 PM

Regular
New Hope, MN

it's personal. a friend of ours did IM Brazil with us in 2006. he had never done a triathlon, ever. he was a 2:50 marathon runner. he did some training but not a lot. his goal was to attempt it and finish, which he did. he struggled a bit throughout the day (threw up on the swim because he swallowed salt water, was a bit tired on the bike, had never biked the long and had to deal with an upset stomach on the run) but conquered the task at hand. so, it's personal. Brazil was also my first IM and I did it after my first tri season in which I did a couple of sprint and olympic distance races. (i had taken several years off from the tri scene)

it depends what your goal is and if you have the time to support that goal with the required training. if you have the burn and desire you can do it. like the motto goes "Anything is Possible"

Edited by trinick67 2008-06-03 4:41 PM
2008-06-03 4:56 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

98hogbay - 2008-06-01 4:21 PM How much triathlon experience should you have before doing a full IM?  I have been a long distance runner and swimmer for the last several years.  I have limited cycling experience but want to work for the full IM next year (July 09).  If you can commit to a training schedule and can do the distance, does this make sense?  Thanks!

I started doing some training a year out before my first IM and 2nd tri ever.  I did my first Mary, my first tri which was a 1/2 IM, and my first IM all last year.  I didn't follow a plan but had a buddy who did Kona twice and some good peeps called the Donkeys that helped with some ideas.  I put in between 12 to 18 hours of training a week, and finished in 15 hours 13 min 46 sec at IM Moo '07.

Now, with that in mind and after all that I learned, I would highly recommend following the plan you have, and getting in at least one tri (a 70.3 would be great if you could) to get the experience.

If you feel comfortable with the swimming and running, and have a great base with it, then work your weakness - the biking.  You can modify the plan slightly to accommodate the bike more, like add an additional day in, or switch a run day with a bike day, or modify a run to add a BRICK, etc.

Rest is VERY important, too.

Good luck.

Edited by 1stTimeTri 2008-06-03 4:57 PM
2008-06-04 11:58 AM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California

I am also very curious about this. I am shooting for a HIM late summer 2009, and have never done a sprint tri. My reasoning is that when I was a cat3 womens road competitor I hated criteriums(sprint racing), I absolutely hated them. I thrived in the above 40 mile races.

I just imagine that since I hated criteriums, I probably dislike sprint tri's for the same reasons.

I also weighed it against the fact that I have a huge(10+ years) endurance bike base, and I am an okay swimmer, so my main focus is the swim and run.

Hopefully the HIM will go well, since my ultimate goal is an IM in summer 2010 for my 40th birthday  

2008-06-04 7:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

i had 7 marathons in 8 years, fastest was 3h6mins.  wanted to be more than one dimensional so i borrowed the neighbors bike, and did a sprint tri then comitted.  I did one or two more tris.  One was a HIM.  No BFD.

Did IMLP 2006 in 12h58m just to do it.  i had far too much energy left and was out hiking the next day with amazingly little soreness.

And think of it like this: I had 4 hours to spare.  That is enough time to have taken a nap, had a picnic, and taken another dip in the lake. 

Put your mind to it, and do it just to do it.

Its tough, but should be no sweat all things considered.

CP2K

2008-06-07 10:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I think you're ok. You need to get some tris under your belt ASAP though. Even if it's one of those beginner friendly everyone-does-it type of tris. You can do a sprint today if you had to; you have the experience in two events.

Me, I went from sprint to half in 6 months, and then another year to IM. Swimming was my initial limiter, and you have that covered. At the time, I had about 20 marathons under my belt so I continued to be strong in that area, as should you. I still hate the bike, but you know, if there's an event to be a slacker in and still be ok for a "I just want to finish" triathlon, it's the bike.

Go ahead and sign up, just start working on it now.
2008-06-07 11:38 AM

User image

Master
Plenty of people have gone from nothing to IM in one year. 
2008-06-28 6:20 AM

User image

Veteran
This thread is exactly why I love triathlon and those who do them.  When everyone else says something isn't possible, triathletes say the opposite.  This thread has inspired me.  I'm volunteering at IMLP in a few weeks and planning to stick around to sign up for 2009.  Thanks everybody!
2008-06-28 9:01 AM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA

I am going to be the voice of reason here.....just because it is possible doesn't mean it is necessarily a smart thing to do. I realize that many people get caught up in reading the race reports on here or seeing a friend or family member complete an IM race and think "I can do that", and you can...eventually.

IM training (and even training "just to finish" takes an enormous toll on your body due to the training load that you have to accept. You really need to take a season or two and build a good base and strengthen those connective tissues through gradual training load increase. There are exceptions, some one who has a background in endurance sports (normally cyclists do better than swimmers or runners) may have a faster adaptation than some one who is "off the couch".

Ironman is not going anywhere, the rate that these races are selling out (usually in a matter of hours) ensures that in a couple of years when you are ready then the races will be there waiting for you.

Patience is key, remember endurance sports are an exercise in delayed gratification.

Good luck

2008-06-28 9:16 AM

User image

Champion
MA

I agree with Rocketman...IM will always be there what is the rush?

I'm doing my first IM in July after doing my first sprint in 9/04. I had a plan to go the next longer distance every year. I ended up pushing that back a year just because my body wasn't really ready to move up quite so fast.

In this society it seems we are a I want it now attitude. I want a bigger harder challenge type of attitude as well. Why not build up gradually and see how you like triathlons. Cycling is the key to IM training and racing and that seems to be what you are weakest at.

My 5 year journey to my first IM has been amazing. I probably would have been better off waiting another year or two.  I am so glad I waited and I had lots of folks whispering in my ear come Kathy sign up now you can do it before I was ready. Even this year I have my doubts as to my abilities as it is a huge undertaking of time, energy, sacrifice of other commitments and time with others, money, and more.

About 20-25% of the folks that sign up for IM 365 days before their race end up not starting the race. Shows that through life and injuries it is a difficult undertaking.

Edited by KathyG 2008-06-28 9:17 AM
2008-06-28 12:05 PM

User image

Expert
central Iowa

Rocketman and KathyG, what do you think is good preparation for an IM, specifically in terms of the number of seasons, HIMs, and marathons?

As far as there being 'no rush', I think that some people want to do one sooner rather than later because they're expecting to have other areas of their lives takes precedence in a few years times (new demanding jobs, starting a family, etc.).  So if they were to delay an IM it wouldn't be for a year or two it might be for five or more and they might not have the opportunity to train as consistently and/or as much (volume) during that time.

2008-06-28 1:11 PM
in reply to: #1496061

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,

98hogbay - 2008-06-28 7:20 AM This thread is exactly why I love triathlon and those who do them. When everyone else says something isn't possible, triathletes say the opposite.

Possible <> smart. 

Rocket Man - 2008-06-28 10:01 AM

I am going to be the voice of reason here.....just because it is possible doesn't mean it is necessarily a smart thing to do. I realize that many people get caught up in reading the race reports on here or seeing a friend or family member complete an IM race and think "I can do that", and you can...eventually.

IM training (and even training "just to finish" takes an enormous toll on your body due to the training load that you have to accept. You really need to take a season or two and build a good base and strengthen those connective tissues through gradual training load increase. There are exceptions, some one who has a background in endurance sports (normally cyclists do better than swimmers or runners) may have a faster adaptation than some one who is "off the couch".

Ironman is not going anywhere, the rate that these races are selling out (usually in a matter of hours) ensures that in a couple of years when you are ready then the races will be there waiting for you.

Patience is key, remember endurance sports are an exercise in delayed gratification.

Good luck

X2 

2008-06-28 5:30 PM

User image

West Simsbury, CT

How much triathlon experience should you have before doing a full IM?

The easy and hard answer to this question is what is your goal?  If you simply want to "do" an Ironman, your fitness level sounds fairly close.  After all, you have 17 hours to go 140.6 miles, and I think this is probably fairly doable from your current base.

The hard answer to this question is what time do you want to do and why?  Training to go 17 hours is violently different from training to go 12 hours.  Think of it this way....swim 2.4 miles in 2 hours, ride 112 miles in 8 hours, walk/run a marathon in 6 hours...that still gives you just under an hour for transitions!

My point here is that many, many people can DO Ironman, but the decision to do so and the success criteria can be very different.  If you are looking for a "quick and dirty" assessment of whether or not you can complete an Ironman in under 17 hours, I would suggest getting the experience of doing each segment completely in a stand alone environment.  That alone will do wonders for your confidence and allow you to mentally feel more comfortable about tackling all three.  Good luck! 

2008-06-28 6:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks for even more great feedback.  Of course, the toughest thing for most of us to hear is "be patient" but it is good advice, nonetheless.  The reason I am eager to take this on is that I am finally in a spot where I have the ability, both professionally and personally (and physically) to commit to an IM training plan.  Right now I am consistently (and pretty easily) doing 7-9 hours a week in training, probably 1/2 cycling and an even split between swimming and running, so I think ramping up will be ok, especially in 7 or 8 months.  I hate to push things off and say "maybe in a couple of years" because I just don't know where I will be and whether IM will fit then. I figure that with my current training by February 09 I should have a strong base to enter a 20 week training program.   This is one of those life goals.  It just feels like my time.

2008-06-28 8:59 PM
in reply to: #1496588

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
98hogbay - 2008-06-28 7:46 PM

Thanks for even more great feedback.  Of course, the toughest thing for most of us to hear is "be patient" but it is good advice, nonetheless.  The reason I am eager to take this on is that I am finally in a spot where I have the ability, both professionally and personally (and physically) to commit to an IM training plan.  Right now I am consistently (and pretty easily) doing 7-9 hours a week in training, probably 1/2 cycling and an even split between swimming and running, so I think ramping up will be ok, especially in 7 or 8 months.  I hate to push things off and say "maybe in a couple of years" because I just don't know where I will be and whether IM will fit then. I figure that with my current training by February 09 I should have a strong base to enter a 20 week training program.   This is one of those life goals.  It just feels like my time.

It sounds like you are being smart and have thought this through. I think caution applies to those who take the IM plunge way too lightly or don't realize the amount of time and wear and tear the ol' body will take.

I did my first sprint in 2004. At that time, I had no desire to do IM. Sprint was tuff enuff. Then I did three sprints in 2005 and did very well in them, then 3 sprints and two olys in 2006 and qualified for National in my first ever oly. Last year I did a lot of triathlons. 5 sprints, 2 olys, 1 HIM, and 1 bike leg for an oly relay. My plan for this year was 2 HIMs and a variety of other distances, but I've had some injury issues. I decided to blow the rest of my 2008 tri season and focus on getting the source of my injuries corrected,concentrating on running (my weakness) and I went ahead and signed up for an IM next year instead of waiting until 2010 like I had originally planned.

Like you, I am at a good point in my life to commit to IM distance training. This year, my kids are getting more and more active into their hobbies and at the ages of 10 and 7, they need a chauffeur. I have also come to the realization that my body isn't cut out for distance running. That has not stilled my dream of completing a full IM. I just bumped it up a year. Less wear and tear on the bod, because it means one less year of distance training to keep my base fitness that I've worked so hard for over the past few years, and I can return to short course racing and not have my kids' childhood activities take a back seat to my training.

You have to figure out what works for you. And from your posts, it sounds like you have done that. Good luck and I look forward to reading about your IM journey

Pam

Edited by barqhead 2008-06-28 9:00 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Experience needed for IM Rss Feed