Kale Running
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 46s
Overall Rank = 40/621
Age Group = M20-24
Age Group Rank = 3/23
Pre-race routine:

Not too much, met up with 3 other Final Kickers and hit the road. Stopped at 7-11 for some Crack (red bull)
Event warmup:

Not too much. rode the bike for about 2mins just to get the shoes in, ran for about 3mins to get the calf's ready, and swam for 5mins to stretch the back.

Chugged a Red Bull with about 15mins to go before my start and started to flip shit!! Sooo much energy and I was ready for Destruction and Chaos.
Swim
  • 19m 13s
  • 1094 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

I wanted to go sub 20mins so that worked out well. I kept a pretty straight line (from what I could tell) went off course once but I was just following the pack. I got no drafting so swam 95% of it solo. I never felt out of breath but the arms were hurting so I'm guessing I went hard enough.
What would you do differently?:

Go harder
Transition 1
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

Had the Final Kick people yelling for me which was nice. Had troubles with the wetsuit, but what else is new? However not as bad as it has been. Jumped on the bike and the rubber band broke right away, bonus!! Got up to speed nicely and slipped into the shoes, I tightened the tension last night so the right shoe wouldn't come off as I tried to get into it.

Not much
Bike
  • 36m 51s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 20.24 mile/hr
Comments:

Goal was to just hammer the bike. Treat it like a TT and see what happens. Got out to a good start and Kyle passed me around Mile 3. Kyle raced Collegiate Road with VCU and would always kick my ass so my goal was to not let him out of my sights on this day!! Kept him in distance and actually re-passed him at mile 8, for good this time. We chatted for a few seconds each time one of us would pass. But I put the hammer down and gapped him for good!!

Kept pushing the pace and only got out of aero for a few turns and when I felt like I was about to burp... because if I don't then a little vomit comes up with the burp...no good.

I actually was passing people this time, usually I have the 2nd to worse bike time in my AG and get passed by everyone, so it was really different passing all these people.

The roads where shit, pot holes and patch work everywhere. But I just kept my head down and hammered, I found that I stare at my shadow a lot... whatev.

Notta, it worked!!
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

I was in a good position for the swim to bike but awkward for the bike to run. I had to u-turn and rack my bike pretty quick and lift it high in the air to get my aero bottle clear and over the bar.

Got the shoes on, grabbed the visor and number and I was off!!

figure out a different way to rack my bike
Run
  • 20m 35s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Holy moley this was a hot one. I started off like a bat out of hell, mainly because it turns out there was a tailwind. I was using my new Garmin Forerunner 405 to try and keep a certain pace. Started out around 6:15-6:30's.

Mile 1 was around 6:30, felt pretty good but I was starting to get hott!!

Mile 2 was around 6:45 and I was starting to fall apart.

Last part: From a little before mile 2 till the end was into a headwind, major suckage. True it cooled me a bit but it slowed my pace. I saw a few 6:55's flash as my pace and would try to pick it up but I was just falling apart.

The annoying this was our race numbers were written only on our hands and there was no age on the calfs so I didn't know who I had to chase down or who I couldn't let pass me. Lucky for me only 1 person passed me, actually a chick with a mile to go. I chased down a guy at mile 3 who looked young but was actually in the age group above me.

Notta, maybe drink more water on course and just try to pace better
Post race
Warm down:

Tried to catch my breath, sat in a chair for a few mins to collect myself, then went back into the water to cool off.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of speed work in running and just getting back into things after close to a month off. The guy who got 2nd was about :40 ahead of me, I'd like to think I could have got him if I paced better or trained more leading into the race.

However I did Place in my AG which is awesome!!!

My plan worked out pretty well, I hammered the bike and probably cut 5mins of what I would normally do if I stayed in my "zones" aka HR around 140's rather than upper 160's. And it only cost me 1min in the run so it payed off and I should try it more often.

Event comments:

I love little local races.

Last updated: 2008-04-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:13 | 1094 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/23
Overall: 134/621
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Helix
Course: Triangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low