General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Creating your own training plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-02 5:10 PM

User image

Expert
Computerland
Subject: Creating your own training plan
I have been looking at training plans for triathlons on various websites and have found that none of them seem to match my fitness levels in the various 3 sports. Do you know how to make your own training plan without hiring a coach or spending a lot of money? I want to be able to make sure that all my workouts have a specific purpose instead of doing just random workouts.

2008-06-02 5:42 PM
in reply to: #1439795

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Creating your own training plan

The Triathlon Training Bible by Friel will guide you on how to di this, but it is pretty convoluted.

BT has a bunch of decent ones.  There are also a ton of others online.  Just remember that it is not about accenting your strengths in one or more sports, but about focusing on the complete package and being ready for race day.  All the decent plans have specificity.

If you sign up for Gold membership here which in the big scheme is relatively inexpensive you can get some coaching feedback and guidance if you want to pursue that route.

I personally just work from established plans and adapt them to my needs.  Of course in the last 8 months or so I've just been totally winging it for tri training and did a really focused running regimen.  It all depends on what you are trying to get out of it.

2008-06-02 5:56 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I think Rick has it right.

Why not combine plans or use one and adjust it to fit you. What are your strengths/weaknesses? Most folks make the mistake to do a lot of what they are good at instead of working what we are bad at.

If you pick a plan but the base level of say swimming is to easy, adjust the swim portion of the plan to your current fitness/training level if doing so allows you train enough bike and run.  If you need to skip a workout make it your strongest sport not your weakest.

You could pick another plan and say in the example I used use the swim workouts and meld them together. 

2008-06-02 8:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, New Zealand

x2

Unless you have a personal trainer whom you speak to every day or week about your training plan, then you'll end up mixing and matching training plans.

2008-06-02 8:48 PM
in reply to: #1440268

User image

Expert
I ended up hiring a coach for this first triathlon (which is this Saturday), and I took the plan that I had been provided for that and made modifications for my next sprint in August. Once you get the hang of one, I don't think it's hard to tweak it to your needs and the individual event.

Best of luck!
2008-06-02 9:23 PM
in reply to: #1439854

User image

Denver
Daremo - 2008-06-02 5:42 PM

The Triathlon Training Bible by Friel will guide you on how to di this, but it is pretty convoluted.

What exactly do you mean by convoluted? I'm just curious as I was thinking about picking this up just for the knowledge. Thanks!

2008-06-02 10:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
I like Triathlete's Essential Week by Week Training Guide. Straight forward, tkaes you through base, build and peak phases with recovery's built in. Each distance has 10 levels. I'm doing level 3 oly. On days when I can't do the run or bike, I'll drop down to the level two workout for that day, which will be a few minutes shorter or have less sprints etc.
2008-06-02 10:41 PM

Veteran
I am currently in my second season. The first season i used the BT ironman plan, and modified it a little bit. This year i made my own plan(iron distance) using the training bible. I think the book is great. It walks you through all the steps of making your own plan, yearly mesocycles, weekly periods, and daily workouts. It tells you what types of workout and duration to focus on during each particular time period and even includes examples of such types of workouts in the appendices. I feel pretty confident so far. I know i am in better shape and much faster than before(although much of that is from experience, and maybe not my plan).One caveat; i think it doesnt really explain the tapering process that well though. Also i think in another year or two i may spend some money on a coach/plan to try and take my pefromance up a level. I highly recommend the book. For 20 bucks you can get quite a lot out of it.
2008-06-03 1:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Newcastle, England

Yep agree - The Triathlon Training Bible by Friel is good if you want to create your own plan

But reading it is like studying for a diploma - very sience based with loads of tables and detailing on testing to make the bast use of those tables than the formulars to convert what you have into a phased training plan.

If you like that sort of thing - you'll love it - I did (im a bit of a geek like that)

Other good books to help you create you own plan are Going Long and Triathlon 101

2008-06-03 3:43 AM
in reply to: #1440490

Extreme Veteran

MuscleMomma - 2008-06-03 3:07 PM I like Triathlete's Essential Week by Week Training Guide. Straight forward, tkaes you through base, build and peak phases with recovery's built in. Each distance has 10 levels. I'm doing level 3 oly. On days when I can't do the run or bike, I'll drop down to the level two workout for that day, which will be a few minutes shorter or have less sprints etc.

x2.

Once you get the hang of all the codes in the book it makes sense and I like the structure of these plans. I'm taking the swim form one level and bike / run from another to make a plan that suits me. The great thing is the structure is the same across levels so you can mix and match like this.

I made up my own trianing for 1/2 Oly and 1/2IM races. Got through the Oly fine, but overtrained badly in the 1/2 as I didn't understand how to structure a plan well. I reckon if you're going for the longer distances first time it's best to use a plan that is proven unless you really know what you are doing yourself.

Gerrard 

2008-06-03 10:44 AM
in reply to: #1440639

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Gerrard - 2008-06-03 2:43 AM

MuscleMomma - 2008-06-03 3:07 PM I like Triathlete's Essential Week by Week Training Guide. Straight forward, tkaes you through base, build and peak phases with recovery's built in. Each distance has 10 levels. I'm doing level 3 oly. On days when I can't do the run or bike, I'll drop down to the level two workout for that day, which will be a few minutes shorter or have less sprints etc.

x2.

Once you get the hang of all the codes in the book it makes sense and I like the structure of these plans. I'm taking the swim form one level and bike / run from another to make a plan that suits me. The great thing is the structure is the same across levels so you can mix and match like this.

I made up my own trianing for 1/2 Oly and 1/2IM races. Got through the Oly fine, but overtrained badly in the 1/2 as I didn't understand how to structure a plan well. I reckon if you're going for the longer distances first time it's best to use a plan that is proven unless you really know what you are doing yourself.

Gerrard 

I would be curious to hear what you felt was over-training for a HIM. I have been loosely using the Triathlete's Essential Week by Week Training Guide as a basis (although I deviate quite a bit from it, as I cannot fit in 9 workouts a week). I am having a hard time figuring out exactly where my volume should be. I don't think I'm over-training, but I think I might be if I were actually following the plan to the letter.

2008-06-03 4:07 PM
in reply to: #1440618

User image

Master
New Jersey
WildWill - 2008-06-03 2:40 AM

Yep agree - The Triathlon Training Bible by Friel is good if you want to create your own plan

But reading it is like studying for a diploma - very sience based with loads of tables and detailing on testing to make the bast use of those tables than the formulars to convert what you have into a phased training plan.

If you like that sort of thing - you'll love it - I did (im a bit of a geek like that)

X2

It took me 2 readings to figure it out. What you're doing is assessing your strengths/weaknesses, figuring out your big picture goal, breaking it down into shorter-term objectives, then mapping out everything on a week by week basis, including how many hours you should spend, what type of workouts for each of the phases, your race schedule, etc. It's alot of page flipping, but WildWill is right, if you like that stuff, it's pretty cool.

If you're thinking you can open it up and find a generic plan that you can blindly follow for whatever it is you're doing, you'll be disappointed.
2008-06-03 5:48 PM

User image

Expert
Computerland
I have the book "The Triathlete's Training Bible" and find it really confusing in the way you are supposed to actually set up a week of training from all the scientific information they give you. I have read the book about 5 times and still can't figure it out.
I have found a training plan I like on this website. It is the beginners's Ironman listed here:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...
I like it because it concides well with the amount of triaing I plan to do this summer. All I would have to do is lenghten the swim workouts, since I am a stronger swimmer than that plan assumes. I would also have to shorten some of the bike rides-like the 6 hour bike ride since I am not training for an Ironman.
Would it be okay to use a plan like this even if I am not training for an Ironman? I want to do an Ironman in a few years, but this year I am training for a half-marathon and an Olympic distance triathlon. This plan does fit in the way that it dosn't have me doing a ton of mileage. I am a really slow runner and an extremely slow bicyclist so getting overtrained on Ironman mileage shouldn't be a problem.
Do you think this would be the best plan for me? I also saw a lot of speedwork in the plan above. I have never done much speedwork before except in swimming, so I was woundering-how important is speedwork?
Thanks for the advice!
2008-06-03 7:33 PM
in reply to: #1441394

Extreme Veteran

velveeta - 2008-06-04 3:44 AM

I would be curious to hear what you felt was over-training for a HIM. I have been loosely using the Triathlete's Essential Week by Week Training Guide as a basis (although I deviate quite a bit from it, as I cannot fit in 9 workouts a week). I am having a hard time figuring out exactly where my volume should be. I don't think I'm over-training, but I think I might be if I were actually following the plan to the letter.

I found a basic training plan (can't even remember what it was) on the web that seemed pretty straight forward. I used the structure to get an idea of approach and how long for each workout but that was all.

I really only trained at one pace, had my long ride on Sat every day and long run on Sun so those were quite tough days. I did have recovery weeks but didn't drop much time, and kept training at the same (no variation) intensity. I peaked at about 17 hours then went into a 3 week taper. It was only 10 week program so the increments each week were probably too big for my body too.

At the start of the taper I got cramp for the first time in training, which kept recurring in the last few weeks, was there throughout the race, and was still happening during light workouts a month later. 2 months on and it's well gone, but clearly my muscles were fatigued and needed some recovery. Also towards the peak time I got sick and was sleeping badly for no reason.

Perhaps over training is the wrong term. In hindsight it was training badly that caused my problems.

Gerrard 

2008-06-03 9:41 PM
in reply to: #1443098

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Gerrard - 2008-06-03 6:33 PM

velveeta - 2008-06-04 3:44 AM

I found a basic training plan (can't even remember what it was) on the web that seemed pretty straight forward. I used the structure to get an idea of approach and how long for each workout but that was all.

I really only trained at one pace, had my long ride on Sat every day and long run on Sun so those were quite tough days. I did have recovery weeks but didn't drop much time, and kept training at the same (no variation) intensity. I peaked at about 17 hours then went into a 3 week taper. It was only 10 week program so the increments each week were probably too big for my body too.

At the start of the taper I got cramp for the first time in training, which kept recurring in the last few weeks, was there throughout the race, and was still happening during light workouts a month later. 2 months on and it's well gone, but clearly my muscles were fatigued and needed some recovery. Also towards the peak time I got sick and was sleeping badly for no reason.

Perhaps over training is the wrong term. In hindsight it was training badly that caused my problems.

Gerrard 

That's helpful - thanks. It's tough to know exactly what the right amount of training is for each body and each race!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Creating your own training plan Rss Feed