United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 18m 1s
Overall Rank = 52/580
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 17/89
Pre-race routine:

This was an evening race, but I decided to pretend it was a real race. So, at 4 pm I left work, went home, and showered. Just like I do when I wake up! Then I commenced to drinking water, although I had been doing so throughout the day. I ate a couple glutton-sized bites of a Baker's breakfast cookie at about 5:20 pm and then caught a bus to the race. I warmed up at about 6:15 pm, and stretched until 6:45 pm. 15 minutes before the race start, I ate a GU, and I hit the bathroom for a little hydration test.
Event warmup:

10 minutes of easy running, followed by static stretching. No pickups before the race, because I was a little behind and because the start was downhill. I figured the downhill would give me a little speed boost and let my legs warm up.
Run
  • 18m 1s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 05m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm lightweight kicking myself for my performance, because I could have broken 18 minutes. Originally, my goal was to do 6-minute miles for an 18:36 finish, because I was just doing this race as a training run in preparation for a more important race. So, I was gonna do it fast, but not risk injury. Well, the first mile went well, and I wasn't working very hard, and the second mile went well too, and I still wasn't working at my max. So then I thought, "I can break 18 minutes and get a PR!" I still didn't push myself to go all-out though, because according to my calculations I didn't need to. I guess I was saving something for the end, maybe. I don't know actually. In any case, I severely miscalculated, because the finish line was at the end of a long uphill. I was looking at my watch, and thinking about what distance was left, and I thought I would have no problem getting around 17:50. By the time I realized I was wrong, the clock said 17:54 and I was still many yards away from the finish I sorta kicked but I couldn't make it under 18 minutes.

My previous PR was 18:01, so...it still is. Actually I'm pretty sure I crossed the line in 18:00, but I stopped my watch after the finish in case there was a photograph I would ruin by putting my hand on my watch. My watch said 18:01.68, and I think it took me at least 0.68 seconds to stop the watch. However, since the chip times have apparently not been published, I don't think I should officially claim 18:00. I gotta go find another race to clear this up...
What would you do differently?:

I guess I would take the race more seriously. I'm sure if it were a morning race I could have gone faster, but evening races are hard for me. I like to race on a totally empty stomach, but that's impossible for an evening race. So, I had low expectations to begin with and that probably kept me from being as motivated as usual.

Next time I'll start to push it further out. Like, a half mile or something. The hill at the end took deceptively long to climb, but I could have found a few seconds SOMEWHERE in the race.

Also, I haven't run an open 5K in a couple years, so I have that excuse going for me too!
Post race
Warm down:

I jiggity jogged for a few minutes and watched some finishers come in. Eventually I stretched. I stayed away from the beer garden because I didn't want alcohol to interfere with my recovery.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No fire in the belly this time.

Event comments:

It's a fun race on a relatively easy course. Some real fast people show up, so there's no pressure to win an age-group award--you won't even come close! There's a briefcase relay before the 5K which looks like a lot of fun. And there's a beer garden! I don't like that the race is at 7:00 pm, but it is a nice way to finish up a week in June.

Last updated: 2008-06-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:18:01 | 03.11 miles | 05m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/89
Overall: 52/580
Performance: Good
Mile 1 = 5:40 Mile 2 = 5:46 Mile 3 = 5:57 Final 0.1 = 0:37
Course: Parallel to or on the Burke-Gilman trail in Wallingford. Mostly flat but with 3 uphills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes