Racing Underground
60'sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m 58s
Overall Rank = 12/314
Age Group = 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 3/34
Pre-race routine:

Same as always. Cereal with banana and flax. Cup of coffee with soy. The rest was manic panic to get on the road. Sipped some Infinit an hour prior to race start and shot a Red Bull about 10 mins. prior to start.
Event warmup:

Rode out 2.5 miles and turned around back into transition. Threw my shoes on and ran a little over a mile with pickups.
Run
  • 14m 27s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 05m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a really good run for me. Didn't wear my Garmin, cuz I didn't want to know my pace. Went out hard and just stayed with it. This is the fastest pace I've ever done in a race. I've just recently got back on the track so I think with more speedwork I should be able to go a bit quicker soon.
What would you do differently?:

Stayed closer to the lead pack, and not depend so heavily on pulling them back on the bike.
Transition 1
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

I'm fine with these transitions

Nothing really. Transitions went according to plan
Bike
  • 37m 28s
  • 15.5 miles
  • 24.82 mile/hr
Comments:

If the wind wasn't such a bear this would've have been a fast course. I was averaging about 29 - 30 mph and got to the turn around and was only doing 20 21 mph. I'm still happy though cuz even with the conditions I was knocking on the door of 25 mph average. There was a lot of drafting going on and I kept trying to get away from a group 3 - 4 riders with a couple of Elites in it. Finally I yelled to one of them who was sitting on my wheel "Just freaking pass". He said he couldn't and I told him to get the heck off my wheel then. I used more vulgar terms than that though. Overall after looking at my Normalized Power Output I'm happy with this ride. I think I could have went a bit harder, but my second run would've suffered more. I rode at about 90% of Functional Threshold Power. Which for this distance is about right where I needed to be.
Transition 2
  • 00m 36s
Comments:

Like the first I'm pretty happy with this.

Nothing
Run
  • 15m 49s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 06m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

The second run hurt, but I feel I ran to my ability. Had I known Dime was gonna get me in the overall by 15 seconds I may have been able to dig a little deeper, but it would've hurt worse than salt in a paper cut.

Dig! Dig! Dig!
Post race
Warm down:

Jogged out with Dime, Dills, and Fliegelman. Met Meg and ran with her for a bit, and finished up the jog with the guys.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I've really got my eyes set on Lake Stevens right now, so I've been neglecting short course stuff. Gearing more towards going long I think hurts your short course speed to a degree. Overall I'm happy with my performance and I think it'll pay off next month.

Event comments:

Like I said earlier I'm four weeks out from one of my A-races of the year. I think if I geared my training more toward short course I could go a lot faster. I've only got one more hard block of training before Lake Stevens so these short races I'm treating as speed days. I think my form right now is pretty good and quite a bit better than this time last year. Planning on doing one more sprint race and starting my taper. June! What a great freaking month!

Last updated: 2008-05-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:14:27 | 02.5 miles | 05m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/34
Overall: 0/314
Performance: Good
Avg HR - 172 Max HR - 176
Course: Pretty flat and fast with mildly strong wind heading out
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:40
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:37:28 | 15.5 miles | 24.82 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/34
Overall: 8/314
Avg HR 168
Wind: Strong
Course: Gently rolling. Strong headwind on the return trip
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 86
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:36
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:15:49 | 02.5 miles | 06m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/34
Overall: 0/314
Avg HR - 168
Course: Same as the first
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-07 11:33 PM

User image

Colorado Springs
Subject: Big Sky Duathlon

2008-06-08 5:05 AM
in reply to: #1452048

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Subject: RE: Big Sky Duathlon
Sweet race, Dave! Good call on the Red Bull! I usually do that too (but I didn't for this race)... Your bike is smokin'. I barely squeaked over 24 mph, and you nearly nailed 25! I'm impressed.

Don't over-think the results based on the type of training you are doing. Your fitness level is at an all-time high and regardless of the race distance you are going to destroy. Congrats!
2008-06-08 2:18 PM

User image

Regular
austin/tx
nice results and sorry to hear some ladies were riding your back wheel. good luck in a month at lake stevens.
2008-06-08 3:05 PM
in reply to: #1452475

User image

Colorado Springs

jwithyco - 2008-06-08 1:18 PM nice results and sorry to hear some ladies were riding your back wheel. good luck in a month at lake stevens.

Nope those were male elites that were drafting man.

2008-06-08 3:30 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Great race out there! Y'all are smokin' fast.  Have fun with the last buildup to Lake Stevens.  I like the longer stuff better, then again I don't push that hard. 
2008-06-08 5:19 PM
in reply to: #1452525

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Great effort!  You kicked !  Good luck at Lake Stevens!  You will do very well.

2008-06-09 9:30 AM

User image

I'd be pissed if Elites were trying to draft off of me too! You should have spit a big lugey right back there behind you You did a sweet a$$ job at this race! I think you're definately ready for Stevens. Oh and congrats on beating the Dills!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Sky Duathlon Rss Feed