Endurance House
86F / 30C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 47m
Overall Rank = 62/296
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 9/29
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at friends house in madtown. Got up @ 4:00 AM. Drank bottle of Gatorade because I knew it was going to be hot this morning. Pop tarts and clif bar for breakfast. Got to park by 6:00 AM. Beautiful morning. Great view of the Capital across Lake Mendota.
Event warmup:

Put on wetsuit. Gave Joe Runner encouragement as she came out of the water. Fretted over my first OWS over 1/4 mile. Had no idea what to epect and how to pace. Tried to stay out of the sun because it was starting to get quite hot. Otherwise no warm up.
Swim
  • 31m 28s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Walked the first 100-150 yds to 1st sprint bouy because it was fairly shallow and I let my wave spread out a little. Turned the first bouy and then things got rough. The second lag was the longest and more head on into the wind and waves. The race is on the NE side of Lake Mendota and the wind was 15-20 mph out of the southwest = lots of waves 2-3 ft. high. I felt like of the crab boats crashing into the waves. I did what ever I had to to get thru this leg - a litte breast stroke for sighting, back stroke for a break, hearing djdavey in my head saying DTFU and get it done - Sighting was tough because of the swells and the I tended to drift right because of the wind and waves. Hit the last bouy and turned toward shore. This leg was great. I was swimming with the waves and could basically body surf the crest of the wave. Finally got a good rythm. Got 100-150 yds from shore where it was shallow and dolphin swam past people trying to actually swim the last part. Got out of the water and found out my swim time was little over 31 minutes which picked my spirits up (My goal was to be under 32)
What would you do differently?:

Practice more OWS with longer swims.
Sighting.
Need to trust my swimming abilites and training.
Transition 1
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

Good transition. After last weeks dizziness after getting out of the water I took it a little slower just in case, but no problems.

Need to work on the same old stuff - shoes on bike, just moving a little faster, etc.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 40s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.20 mile/hr
Comments:

Past Joe Runner coming into transition from the bike as I was leaving. Hilly bike course (like ever other bike course around Madison) and add to that lots of wind today. The roads were fairly smooth but a couple stretches were rough pea gravel type. Tried to keep an even pace on the way out - push slightly up the hills and ride out the downslopes - wanted a faster back than out and also to leave legs for the run. Past a lot of people on the hills. I pushed the second half of the bike harder than the first. Attacked the hills which allowed for a nice transition to the downslopes. Tried to keep the cadence high. Used big chain ring for most of the ride back. Drank aerobottle of water and bottle of gatorade over the course of the ride. Took at gel at the 15 mile mark.

Push a little harder. With the wind condtions it would have been tough getting over 20 mph for me. Keep building bike volume and intervals in my training.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Once I dismounted the bike I started to realize how hot and humid it really was. There were very few people and transition. But one was Joe Runner directing me to my bike rack so I didn't have to worry about it. Got transitioned and gave Joe a kiss on the way out. (I got brownie points for that).

Put the quick laces on my shoes one of these days.
Run
  • 54m 15s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

It was hot and humid and a very hilly run. Most of the trails were quite wet from all the rain recently. Started off at a good speed and cadence and kept the same for the entire run. Had no idea how fast I was running because I didn't wear a watch and because there were no, none, zero mile markers on the run - you gotta be kidding me. The people at the water stations had no idea and would guess. At one water station they said your 80% done almost there - the next one would say 2 1/2 miles left - WHAT? I had no idea when to pick it up. As it turns out, the heat and hills took my pick up so I just concentrated on keeping my same pace the entire run. Took one water to drink and another to pour over me at every water station. I think the distance was a little long also looking at the overall times. Found a running partner with two miles to go which helped keep my head in the game. Saw JR near the finish - stopped to give her a kiss (more brownie points) and had a good run to the finish.

Nothing. More training in the heat will help. (a little)
Post race
Warm down:

Grab two bottles of water and some shade. Damn it was hot out there. Cooled down for a while and then checked out the spread. The usual bagels, oranges, apples, bananas, along with some good chicken and egg rolls from an Asian restaurant, ice cream and Capital Brewere BEER!. That had to be one of the best beers I have had in a long time. I wanted to jumb in the big blow up trampoline they had for kids, but I din't have any legs left.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The three H's - Hills, heat and humidity - One or two by themselves is ok but all three make for a tough day. Overall, for my first OLY I was very happy with my time especially considering the tough course and condtions.

Event comments:

For a first year tirahlon, I though things were fairly well organized.
How they ever managed to find hills on all three legs of the race will never cease to amaze me.
The race was farily well run with lots of volunteers. They do need to make some improvemnets for next year, however - like mile markers on the run, better signage at the transition area, etc. Would consider doing it again.

Last updated: 2008-05-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:28 | 1640 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/29
Overall: 111/296
Performance: Average
Suit: Full - Nineteen Tsunami
Course: Clockwise triangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:18
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:17:40 | 24.85 miles | 19.20 mile/hr
Overall: 63/296
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out and back with a 5 mile loop at the end of the out portion.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:54:15 | 06.21 miles | 08m 44s  min/mile
Overall: 65/296
Course: Guess What? Yeah more Hills. Mostly trail run through the park.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-09 6:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Capitol View

2008-06-09 10:44 AM
in reply to: #1453278

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Capitol View

Great job making it through the weather we had!  At least you didn't fall on your face like firstnet911 did when he was going kiss amyjo back at the Lake Mills sprint!

2008-06-09 1:12 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Great race in some challenging conditions! By the way, I'm not sure you get as many brownie points for the transition kissing when you mention getting brownie points in your race report.
2008-06-09 4:19 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Nice job!  I saw a bunch of you running up a long steep grassy hill when I was driving by.  All I could think about is how hot you all must be.  I finished a du an hour or so beforehand and I was roasting then.
2009-03-06 3:39 PM
in reply to: #1455115

User image

Expert
Woodridge, IL

Thanks for posting - need to know what to expect.  So far I have:

- Choppy water

- Heat

- Humid

- Hills

Eeek!