HFP Racing
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 2s
Overall Rank = 155/199
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 18/21
Pre-race routine:

Compared to the race last week, I did not taper for this.

Got up at 3:15am, finished loading the car, made a coffee and got the kids up and went for a drive.
Event warmup:

You wanted to avoid moving around and getting too hot. The water was still cold so a wetsuit was good but you wanted to suit-up at the last minute.

They delayed the start by about 15-30 minutes. There were LONG lines for packet pickup the entire morning. Unless this race grew a lot vs the prior year (which I don't think it did), I think they were understaffed or not ready at 6:30 am as this shouldn't have happened-they have been doing this race for years.

I'm sure there were several people unable to 'stay cool' in their wetsuits just waiting to start.
Swim
  • 19m 41s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first wetsuit swim ever. I didn't get a chance to actually swim in the suit beforehand, it came in Saturday and all I did was to try it on. The first thing I noticed is that I DID NOT HYPERVENTILATE like I have done in all other cold water races. I got right into the freestyle. The suit didn't allow any water in.

I was also amazed at the bouyancy benefits. I didn't have to 'try' to stay afloat. I just had move my arms and legs.

I did hit a race pace swim personal best with this wetsuit.
What would you do differently?:

Get a few more open water wetsuit swims in before the big day. The last half of the swim, I did notice that it took a little more effort to breath...just because these suits are skin-tight, they have 'some' restrictiveness that takes awhile to get used to.

My arms did get tired about midway too...but this could be due the fact that I did not taper at all for this race.
Transition 1
  • 04m 17s
Comments:

I was winded from the breathing by the time I got to land, I walked up to transition trying to get my breath back.

The suit was easy to zip down and VERY easy to get out of. No wetsuit strippers if I had the luxury of using one.

Put on some sunscreen (hot and sunny) and exited. I had trouble with the mount, I couldn't get the first shoe clipped and wasn't going fast enough, almost fell over.
Bike
  • 45m 52s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 16.22 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt tired on this, much more tired than last weeks race. Just due to no taper and I had a big(ger) bike ride on Friday with a small run brick.

I hydrated with Infinit's Fluid Energizer again. On such a hot and humid day that took out or reduced a lot of people, this worked great. Again, about 20 oz in my bike bottle, drank 4 times on the bike.

If I wanted a better race, taper next time but I didn't as I needed some training volume. Looking at my AG rank, this was my worst - and I felt it on the course.
Transition 2
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

I drank the remaining Infinit Fluid Energizer before the run. My stomach was 'slightly' bloated but ok.
Run
  • 30m 19s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

This run ended up being great even in the high heat. Many people were walking by this time. I did not take in ANY fluids during the run...since my stomach was still had fluid in after the bike still...and I felt full, I wanted to let it get absorbed. Even by the last aid station my run was strong so I bypassed the fluids for the last mile.

I chatted with a local for the last mile over the grass. That mile went fast...I thank him whoever he was.

I actually did my best as far as AG rank on the run. Which is how I felt I did too.

Nothing. Nutrition and hydration again worked perfectly for this hot run.
Post race
Warm down:

Did some walking. They had 'Heed' at the end and at tents. Yuck. I will try to avoid drinking that stuff again.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

That it was not a taper week.

Event comments:

Great race. Very scenic in farmland Ohio. Aside from the tardy race start it was well run. It wouldn't have hurt to have had a sign at the only unmanned spot on the bike course where the road forked. There were arrows on the road but signs are better.

It would have been better for the kids if the lake wasn't flooded, that put the beach underwater. They had fun anyway in the mud.

Last updated: 2008-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:41 | 820 yards | 02m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/21
Overall: 158/199
Performance: Good
Suit: F2R Sockeye Full
Course: A rectangle course. The water was a lot higher and went over the beach due to the weeks rain.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:17
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:45:52 | 12.4 miles | 16.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/21
Overall: 152/199
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind
Course: I felt a decent headwind out on more than half of the course. Mostly flat with some gentle rolling hills. There was two 'granny gear' hills. There were virtually no cars on the course and all intersections had police at them. The course was well marked, though there was only one spot where additional signage would have been good (the road Y'ed) as there was no person there to direct.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:19 | 03.11 miles | 09m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/21
Overall: 121/199
Performance: Good
Course: Half of the run is on grass, the other on pavement.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-06-10 7:04 AM

User image

Champion
Subject: Deer Creek Triathlon - Sprint

2008-06-10 9:13 AM
in reply to: #1456201

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio
Subject: RE: Deer Creek Triathlon - Sprint

Fun race report to read.  I've tried to read all the Deer Creek race reports and think you win the prized for staying the most hydrated and the coolest.  Good job.

I also critisized HFP for the long lines.  It was similar at that course in September 2007 (my first race).  I live nearby and check-in the night before.  I really can't imagine the stress of standing in line 100 people from the desk with the start time 20 minutes away.

I didn't like the Heed at the finish tent either.

Finally, I'll be in your neck of the woods for the Portage Lakes Duathlon later this year.  I'll say hello if I see you.

2008-06-10 9:36 AM
in reply to: #1456201

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Deer Creek Triathlon - Sprint

Hey, "nothing new on race day"!

Looks like a delayed start is the theme of races the past weekend. 

Nice race. COngrats on the swim PR!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Deer Creek Triathlon - Sprint Rss Feed