Set-Up, LLC
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 7s
Overall Rank = 80/193
Age Group = F 25-29
Age Group Rank = 15/37
Pre-race routine:

Got up before my alarm after a horrible night sleep with an upset stomach. Fought with one of my kittens in the trap outside. The kitten won by getting away. Ate a bagel with butter and drank water for breakfast. Drove to the race site with my stomach still quite upset. I was not sure how things were going to go. Drank lots of water.
Event warmup:

Didn't really have a chance to warm up. I was sweating just standing there, does that count? It was a 20 minute walk from my car to the race, had to get the front brakes on my bike fixed, set up transition and got my chip and marked, took the pre-race pee, and then that was it. Managed to make it into the water for a few strokes and to get used to the temperature (and cool off). Said hi to my friends and got down to the business of racing.
Swim
  • 12m 15s
  • 711 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Surprisingly good for me, especially in an OWS. I took a few kicks to the ribs, but kept going. I took it easy at the start to let people spread out, slowed up a bit to fit into a wide, open, space, and just found my pace. Best swim I have had in some time.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, really. I came out bruise-free, had a swim faster than what I've been doing in the pool, so no complaints.
Transition 1
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

I hate running through sand and grass with wet feet. I had to sit down to put my socks on. I didn't have the balance, or the space, to do it standing, which slowed me down.

Put on my socks and shoes while standing.
Bike
  • 33m 40s
  • 12 miles
  • 21.39 mile/hr
Comments:

Tried to keep up a good pace on the bike. I wass also trying to hydrate and get ready for the run. I tried to save a little bit of energy and not necessarily give the bike my all. Plus, I didn't want to get dehydrated. I passed some people and got passed by a few. I did alright on most of the hills, but I just faded on one.

Drink more water, maybe. And not let that one hill kick my butt.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

I love biking in my running shoes! Bike up, helmet off, baseball hat on, and off I went. First in my AG for T2 and 4th overall for women!

Well, I might have saved a second or two without the hat, but it was hot and sunny out.
Run
  • 32m 30s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

It was too hot for such running madness. I don't handle heat well. Ever. I started out okay, got some water from the first stop, walked to drink it and not waste it, and went off. It didn't take long before my knees started hurting. Before the big hill, I was already really thirsty again. I chose to walk up the hill to cool down a bit, as I was already overheating. Started running at the top and kept going, despite the pain in my knees. Just before the next water stop, I knew I was very dehydrated and felt sick. Got my water, and it wasn't much. Drank it and ran on. Then I had to stop and cool off or I was going to be done for. About a mile left in the run, I was seriously dehydrated and quit sweating. I walked in the shade to try and cool off a bit, and give my aching knees a break, and then pushed on through the sun to get to the water at the finish line. Oh, wait... there was none!!!!

Had more water to drink on the bike, or gotten some in transition. That's about all I could do, since I just can't do heat.
Post race
Warm down:

Got really mad because there was no water. Fortunately, I had a second bottle on my bike for just such an occasion. Drank that, wandered around and talked to people, got under the water tent to cool off. Then I went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat and the humidy! Dehydration!

Event comments:

Things would have been okay, but in this heat, there should have been more water out on the bike and run course. And there should have been water at the finish line!

Last updated: 2008-06-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:15 | 711 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/37
Overall: 85/193
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: York River, salty water, little waves, lots of seaweed (lakeweed?), and thankfully no gasoline-smell this year.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:57
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:33:40 | 12 miles | 21.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/37
Overall: 41/193
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: One loop, some hills, a few pot holes, some sun, some shade, no cars!
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:30 | 03.11 miles | 10m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 28/37
Overall: 142/193
Performance: Bad
Course: Mostly flat on a brick sidewalk, some sand, one really big, steep hill, and a longer, slightly more gentle hill. Out and back.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-06-10 9:36 AM

User image

Williamsburg
Subject: Yorktown Sprint

2008-06-10 10:43 AM
in reply to: #1456556

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Yorktown Sprint
I'm with ya about the water, that was crazy that they ran out!
2008-06-11 7:14 AM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Great race considering such conditions. Was glad that I also had a second water bottle in transition.
2008-06-11 2:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Williamsburg, Virginia
Good job out there in that heat
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Yorktown Sprint Rss Feed