Seidel Productions / Tri-sition Area
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 16m 27s
Overall Rank = 9/101
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/8
Pre-race routine:

This is a new race with an interesting name and proposition. The idea is to help celebrate, in a triathlon, the mixing of cultures in Texas. In spite of the name, the Spanish part really only manifested itself in lots of popular music in Spanish, bilingual shirts in the packets, and all the mileage markers in km, not miles. Everything else was in English. But it did seem to attract a larger-than-normal group of Mexican nationals and US Hispanics, both as racers and volunteers, which was nice to see. I wanted to do this race since the owners of the new tri shop in town (sponsoring the race) are acquaintances of ours and are good people.
Event warmup:

Swam a couple hundred yards to see if my right shoulder was getting better. Not as pain-free as I hoped (3 weeks recovering without swimming) but not enough that 400m would be a problem.
Swim
  • 06m 37s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 39s / 100 meters
Comments:

Time includes a short run to T1.

I felt surprisingly good on the swim. During the first 100 meters I remember thinking to myself that my shoulder wasn't bothering me much at all - I'm not sure if the ibuprofen was kicking in or I'm actually recovering...

With only 100 participants and time-trial start separating each swimmer by 10 seconds (in bib number order), there was really no drafting opportunities. I had no clue where others were in my AG (white caps for everyone). Most in my AG (there were only 8 of us) started about 7 minutes ahead of me; late registrants like me got high numbers and started at the end :(. No real strategy before or during this swim. I just swam it at a decent pace.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster. In retrospect I think I took it too easy.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

No official time on T1, but I think it was fast. I raced shirtless, with my race belt and number tucked under my tri shorts, so I save a few seconds by not having to put it on. I did put on my HR monitor in transition, but next time I'll try swimming with the monitor on my waist also...
Bike
  • 46m 47s
  • 15.53 miles
  • 19.92 mile/hr
Comments:

Time includes T1 and T2.

I wasn't sure how I'd feel since I haven't been training much recently. I apparently passed a few people in my AG but somehow I didn't see them. I did get passed by one guy in my AG who zoomed right by at about 6k into the ride. While I tried to keep him in my sight, he disappeared rather quickly. He won my AG, but ended up beating me by only 18 seconds overall.

I think I worried too much about not being well trained for this race and took it too easy. About 35k into the ride I got caught by a guy (not in my AG) who is fairly even with me in races. He passed me at the beginning of a hill, but then I got a bit more aggressive and passed him right back and kept the lead to the end. I think I could have kept that faster pace much longer... The guy ended up passing me again on the run and won his AG.
What would you do differently?:

Be more aggressive. I finished with a HR of 160 which is lower than I usually finish. I might be a better cyclist than I think. The last three races I've felt no leg fatigue going into the run.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

No official time on T2. I felt pretty fast. At transition I decided not to put on my socks which I had ready to go. It just seemed like a waste of time. I beat the #3 guy in my AG by only 5 seconds, so it was a good decision. Fortunately I didn't blister.
Run
  • 23m 3s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

It was hot by the time the run started, probably well into the 80s. I got off the bike with a HR at a comfortable 160, my HR quickly jumped to 180 which was more reasonable. I didn't feel fast, but I tried to maintain my pace. My HR dropped into the high 170s in the middle but came back up to 180 at the end. Given the heat, I was pleased with this run.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not training sufficiently due to June being my vacation from serious training month.

Event comments:

This is the first time this race had been run, and it was excellent! The organization was good. Started on time. Volunteers and sherrifs at every approrpiate place. Packets included a good quality technical shirt, not a cotton t-shirt. Nice prizes were raffled. The last finishers got big applauses. Didn't have to wait forever for the awards ceremony to start. Good music (if you like music in Spanish). All finishers got medals. Top 3 Overall won running shoes. Top 3 of each AG won gift certificates for use at the new tri shop. Lots of first timers seemed really happy!

The only negatives were a lousy road for the first half mile (mentioned on the website so it wasn't a surprise) and lack of timing chips. I assume they'll add a full timing system as the race grows.

Congratulations Tri-sition Area and Seidel Productions for a great race!

Last updated: 2008-06-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:37 | 400 meters | 01m 39s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 6/101
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Out and back on a straight waterskiing lake. Time trial start by bib number.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:46:47 | 15.53 miles | 19.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 14/101
Wind:
Course: Out and back on farm roads. With the exception of the private road at the start and finish, the pavement was quite good. Some light rolling hills.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:03 | 03.11 miles | 07m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 0/101
Avg HR 179
Course: Out and back. All on grass with some shade from trees.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes