General Discussion Race Reports! » The Dick Houston Memorial Woodminster Cross Country Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The Dick Houston Memorial Woodminster Cross Country Race - RunOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oakland, California
United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 42s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Another nice local race. Woke up around 6:30 to start getting ready. Evelyn was also awake, reading 1984 for English next year. She decided she was bored with it, and came along to the race. So, we had Oatmeal and left for the race.
Event warmup:

Did an easy out and back run for about a 1/2 mile.
Run
  • 1h 35m 42s
  • 9 miles
  • 10m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

It started off with a handicap system, so my daughter started 8 minutes ahead of me. The first half mile was flat, and then it went into a mile uphill. Managed to run up about half way up the hill. At the top of the hill, started running again, as the course was mostly flat. Passed two or three people, got passed by a bunch of people from the wave behind me.

The course was running through the red woods and was spectactular. At mile 5, there's a hill they call the Woodmonster. It was a good mile of straight uphill. I walked this hill, and then had a good run for the last two miles of downhill. Passed three more people before hitting the final 1/4 mile flat.

Slow, but a fun race.
What would you do differently?:

It wasn't supposed to be that serious a race for me. I did 75 miles biking yesterday, and still need to get stronger on hills. For all that, I think I did as well as I could.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a bit, waited for the awards ceremony. Evelyn was the only High School girl running, so she got a trophy. 2 weeks, 2 podium finished for her.

Event comments:

It was a fun race, the course was well marked. There could have been a few more water stations, and there was no food at the end of the race, but what do you want for $20.

Last updated: 2008-06-10 12:00 AM
Running
01:35:42 | 09 miles | 10m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Another tough course, 2 major hills, around Joaquin Miller Park in the Oakland hills. Very shady and nice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-15 6:32 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: The Dick Houston Memorial Woodminster Cross Country Race

2008-06-18 6:17 PM
in reply to: #1467866

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Subject: RE: The Dick Houston Memorial Woodminster Cross Country Race

bhoover10001 - 2008-06-15 4:32 PM

Nice job Brian....you know how I feel about hills!!! way to conquer them! hoping you ran a few for me!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Dick Houston Memorial Woodminster Cross Country Race Rss Feed