United States
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 24m 52s
Overall Rank = 171/545
Age Group = 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 19/50
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 7:00 and my daughter brought my Father's Day present in bed (I was told I needed to stay in bed). Showered and got over to the site about 40 minutes prior to start. Ate 1/2 a PB bagel and drank 32 oz of gatorade.
Event warmup:

Nothing really. After running outside in the heat the last 2 days my legs were feeling it so decided to treat this as a training run and nothing more. It was already 83 degrees with 100% humidity by 9!
Run
  • 24m 52s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Since I decided to treat this like a training run I was shooting for about a 24 to 25 minute run. At the start I didn't even hit the timing mat until 40 seconds in or so. Went off road to the grass for about the 1st 1/2 mile as way to congested as no one evidently paid any attention to slotting themselves like the organizers were requesting. Hit the 1st mile which was mostly downhill in about 7:30. I could really feel it in my legs and slowed down quite a bit and got to the 2 mile mark in 16 and change. Cruised along at that pace and tried to help coach a few of the young runners home as they were starting to struggle. Exited the woods to the main road at the 3 mile mark and decided to see if I could catch the 7 or 8 people in front of me in the last 1/10 of a mile. I put the hammer down and caught them all which I was pleased with.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. If I wanted to score a time this was probably a good course to do it on but with training the previous 2 days my legs just weren't into it.
Post race
Warm down:

It was extremely hot and humid so grabbed a few bottles of water and drank one and poured the other over my head. Went back to my car and peeled off my soaked shirt and changed to a dry one. Walked over to the festivites they had going on in support of fighting prostate cancer. Met a few people I work with and hung out for a 1/2 hour or so. After that headed home to see what was going on for the rest of the day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Too much training this week for a peak performance.

Event comments:

Enjoyed the race. Lots of poeple and volunteers and for a great cause. Plan on doing this race every year. Will probably taper for this race next year to shoot for a time. Thinking 20 and change will be my goal.

Last updated: 2008-06-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:52 | 03.1 miles | 08m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/50
Overall: 0/545
Performance: Average
Course: Very minor rolling hills with the majority of the route being slightly downhill.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes