Colorado Masters Running Association
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 50m 53s
Overall Rank = 15/48
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/6
Pre-race routine:

Got up, made a smoothie, showered and did the race day requisite 3 trips to the head and got myself out the door.
Event warmup:

Rode down to the race venue. Did it in 42 minutes. Registered. Talked with Jason and hit the outhouse a couple of times. Went down the trail for about 4 minutes and then worked my way back up the trail. Had a gel and washed it down before the start.
Run
  • 50m 53s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Worked my way up the start group to hear the race director (Greyhound) give last minute directions. Still was a bit too far back but pretty good. Got caught behind a couple of people I should have been ahead of but only cost me a handfull of seconds in the big picture. Missed the big front pack but I couldn't run with them anyways. Settled in with a man and woman who were similar pace and kept them close. Hit the first mile in 7:17 and was pretty happy with that. As we went uphill I closed on the guy. Went up the staircase and over the ridge and went by him. I still had the lady ahead of me. On the long descent I thought I was moving pretty well - well actually kind of pounding downhill like a clydesdale. I hit the second mile and glanced at the watch. I "thought" I saw 6:29, I am like wow, with that climb in the first part of the mile, I must have been flying downhill. Hit the southbound turnaround (after seeing how far behind the leaders I was) and started up the long gradual uphill. Made the 3 mile mark in 7:56/23:43. During the next mile I finally passed the lady in front of me although she went back by when I walked through the water station. Hit the 4 mile mark and it looked like I was doing it in 6: something, I figured the cone had to be turned around and it was supposed to be for the other direction. Went down to the northbound turnaround trying to recover the HR. Next thing I know, I see 9: on the lap. I finally figure out that I was seeing 8:something not 6 something on the lap timer. Silly me. As this point I only realize that for mile 4. Didn't dawn on me yet that I "saw" the same thing on mile 2. We work back to the single track and I reclose on the woman in front of me. As I "pound" my way downhill, she gives me room to go by - gravity is a wonderful thing. I hit mile 5 in "17:20" So I did an 8:30 and 8:50 mile in 4&5. Climb back up to the cut and down the other side, being carefull on the "stairs". I am glad to get back to the path and working my way to the finish. I was way slow of what I hoped for but didn't know what to expect. I remembered Jason telling me it was not a PR course so I just wanted to do a tempo effort. Did mile 6 in 8:07 and finished up in 1:42. I was glad to be done, I didn't put in too hard of an effort and maybe a little easier than I had inteneded. I did beat a couple of people that had always beaten me in the past. Don't know if it is because I am getting stronger/faster or I just handled the trail conditions better than they did. This was one of my highest places in a CMRA event, but then again, several people who always finish ahead of me were not racing this day.
What would you do differently?:

Start a little closer to the front, put in a stronger effort. Maybe intend to race it instead of planning on a "Tempo" run.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed something to drink, watch for the family to arrive. Then I ran with AJ during the kids race. they did a .4 mile run which was always up hill or downhill, never flat. She did great.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My mindset

Last updated: 2008-05-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:50:53 | 06.21 miles | 08m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 15/48
Performance: Average
Course: Trails around South Valley park. Downhill first mile then progressing uphill. Had a "stair climb" to the top of a cut in the ridge then a long downhill section in mile 2. Mile 3-4 was double track pretty much uphill. Then Mile 5-6 worked back into the single track and back up through the cut. Finished off on the wide trail.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-16 11:08 AM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: South Valley 10K

2008-06-16 9:50 PM
in reply to: #1468974

User image

Westminster, CO
Subject: RE: South Valley 10K

awesome race!  great results on such a challenging course!  It was awesome to see you so close to the front when you came down the Pass Trail!  You looked strong and in control!

Its great to get a good read from a racer's perspective!

2008-06-18 11:34 PM
in reply to: #1468974

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: RE: South Valley 10K
Sounds like you handled it well.  Good job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » South Valley 10K Rss Feed