General Discussion Race Reports! » South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Westminster, Maryland
United States
Joanna M. Nicolay Melanoma Foundation
Total Time = 1h 17m 25s
Overall Rank = 15/281
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/21
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:30AM, showered, packed, loaded the bike on the car. By that time it was 4:30, ate some oatmeal w/ skim milk and 16 oz. water. Then made some coffee for the ride. Got to the course around 5:30 when it opened. Picked up the registration packet and began getting everything ready in transition. Not a lot to worry about, simple transition area and had plenty of room to lay out my stuff.
Event warmup:

At 6:15AM went for a jog, decided to run the first 1/4 mile leg of the race, which was different from last year. Instead of starting the run down the driveway of the Swim Club, they took us around the club down a gravel road that picked up Rt. 26. It eliminated all the congestion on the driveway, since that is where bikers entered and finished and was also the end of the run course as well.
Swim
  • 06m 52s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was Ok. I felt really good and was able to keep good form throughout. I had a minor issue that ultimately turned out to be my own fault. I was counting wrong in my head the amount of laps I completed, so at the 325M mark I asked my lap counter if I had only 25M to go. She seemed surprised by the question, and instead of answering me right away she kind of gestured to keep going. Then I got to the other side where we exit and the volunteer on that side said I have 50M to go. Each of those times I stopped for a few seconds to figure out what was going on. My own stupid mistake because I had in my head the wrong number of completed laps. I probably lost about 5-7 seconds. Then there was about another 5-7 seconds of non-swim time in between where the timing mats were placed. So overall, my actual swim time itself was probably 6:40 or so, so I'm actually quite pleased with that.
Transition 1
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

Longer than expected. I decided to go shirtless in the pool, then tried to put on a shirt in T1. Bad idea! It got stuck and I struggled getting it on. The rest of T1 went fine, but I could have saved some time not having any shirt issues.
What would you do differently?:

Go shirtless or invest in a Tri suit!
Bike
  • 44m 5s
  • 14 miles
  • 19.05 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt really good on the bike, especially going out. I averaged 19MPH, which is a huge improvement from a year ago. I'll take it!
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

Quick transition and on the run course in no time!
Run
  • 24m 1s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

One word…..dissappointed. I basically ran the same time as last year. All of the training runs averaging 7:00/min. paces went down the drain. It was even more dissappointing knowing that a few weeks prior to this race I did a brick at this exact same course and ran a 7:07 pace. Only one thing I can think of….practice A LOT more bricks and get the legs used to the transition.
What would you do differently?:

Practice more bricks!
Post race

Last updated: 2008-01-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:52 | 437 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/21
Overall: 29/281
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Pool swim. 2 people to a lane.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:43
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:44:05 | 14 miles | 19.05 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/21
Overall: 24/281
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Challenging little course. After the 4th mile the hills start. There are 4 consecutive hills on Gillis Falls Rd. Three out of the four are hilly, the first hill isn't bad as the momentum from the downhill helps push through it. The rest of the course is rolling where time can be made up. The last mile consists of a small steep hill that isn't too bad. Then it's time to get out of the shoes and pedal across 26 to the Swim Club driveway to transition.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:01 | 03.11 miles | 07m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/21
Overall: 20/281
Performance: Bad
Course: The course changed a bit from last year. The run exit was out of the rear left of the transition area (avoiding all traffic down the Swim Club driveway), around the tennis courts, and down a gravel path to Rt. 26. Gradual incline at the start of Rt. 26, flattens out a bit, and more incline. Turnaround and then hit the downhills on the way back to the finish line.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-06-17 1:29 PM

Regular
Maryland
Subject: South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri

2008-06-19 7:08 AM
in reply to: #1472144

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri
Great race! Congrats again on the hardware.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri Rss Feed