General Discussion Race Reports! » PF Chang Rock N Roll 1/ 2 Marathon - AZ Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

PF Chang Rock N Roll 1/ 2 Marathon - AZ - Run

View Member's Race Log
Tempe, AZ
United States
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 18m 45s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Lots of lines for the bus and bathroom. Actually missed the "official" start and started later in the pack (it was huge).
Event warmup:

Light stretching
Run
  • 2h 18m 45s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran the whole way. No stopping or walking. That was a small victory in itself. I picked it up the last 1/2 mile and ended strong. My goal was to run 10 min/mile pace, and it ended up being 10 min 35 sec. I was happy with that. I know I'll keep improving little by little.
What would you do differently?:

Arrive earlier. Bring baby wipes (sorry folks) but this is a good tip. Also, wrap my little toe better since I know its a area that blisters. And have my MP3 music selection squared away. I goofed up this time and did not get that extra oomph from the "right" playlist.

And of course train more, lose weight, get faster, blah, blah, blah...
Post race
Warm down:

Briefly walked, felt like collapsing....sat down, stretched, and then walked more. I couldn't seem to find enough fluids in the finisher area...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I never felt winded (until the very end). It was more a case of tired legs. I felt pretty good. My stomach started to gurgle towards the end (probably from the accelerade/carbo pro drink mix I was using). Even though it wasn't too warm, I should have taken more salt (thermolytes). I took 2 at mile 7. Probably should have had 2 to start also.

Event comments:

This was a great race venue. I may do the full marathon next year. The flat course, excellent bands, cheerleaders were great. The buses and bathrooms were a nightmare before the race, but now I know to come earlier to beat the crowd.

----------------------------------------------
PF Chang Rock N Roll Marathon - AZ

http://www.rnraz.com/

Race Date: Sunday, January 9, 2005
Staged in the Valley of the Sun, the P.F. Chang's® Rock 'n' Roll Arizona Marathon & 1/2 Marathon will tour through three of Arizona's most vibrant cities. With fantastic winter running conditions and live music every mile, P.F. Chang's® Rock 'n' Roll Arizona is an event not to be missed!

Last updated: 2005-01-11 12:00 AM
Running
02:18:45 | 13.1 miles | 10m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly flat. Some of the very small grades seemed bigger on race day than when I drove the course.... Starts at 15th ave/Jefferson (downtown Phoenix) and rune east allt eh way to Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe (ASU).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-01-18 11:10 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: PF Chang Rock N Roll 1/ 2 Marathon - AZ

2005-01-18 1:20 PM
in reply to: #105189

, Alabama
Subject: RE: PF Chang Rock N Roll Marathon - AZ

Keep up the good work.  Positive attitude is the key. 

Sharon

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » PF Chang Rock N Roll 1/ 2 Marathon - AZ Rss Feed