General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike for half-ironman... my local shop? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-28 12:40 AM

User image

Subject: bike for half-ironman... my local shop?
Doing my first half iron man next year and ready to buy a bike for training and racing...

Here's what my local bike shop has:

http://parkavebike.com/itemlist.cfm?category=59&catalogId=39
Two pages of results.

Anything stand out right away as a good value?
Anything you'd stay away from?

Thanks.

2008-06-28 11:49 AM
in reply to: #1495917

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
Subject: RE: bike for half-ironman... my local shop?
The only recommendation I can give you is to ride as many bikes as you can before your purchase. Find the one that fits you best.
2008-06-29 2:35 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

A number of good choices. 

What kind of budget are you considering?  The difference between the Specialized "Comp" and "Expert" is the components.  You move up from 105/Ultegra to Ultegra/Dura-Ace (and nicer wheels).  Will you notice a real difference in performance?  Maybe, but only you can decide if it's worth the extra $650. 

What kind of temperament do you have when it comes to gear?  If you won't be satisfied with anything less than top-shelf stuff, then get the bike equipped that way (it'll be cheaper than upgrading over the next year or two).  If you'd cringe at replacing a $150 rear derailleur, then skip the top-of-the-line Dura-Ace (or Campy Record or SRAM Red) components. 

2008-06-30 8:05 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

It looks from the shop you are looking at that you are somewhere in the Rochester area.  That is a good shop and highly respectable.  I am not overly familiar with thier product line, so I can't really comment beyond that.

You may also want to check out the Geneva Bike Shop as well.  They gave me great service.  They probably wont be the cheapest when compared to some of the large on line retailers, but they know triathlons well.

I had Jim, the owner do my fitting.  He did a great job!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » bike for half-ironman... my local shop? Rss Feed