YMCA Camp St. Croix
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 32m 40s
Overall Rank = 138/234
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 36/43
Pre-race routine:

Got up with plenty of time, had bowl of cereal and banana, maybe a cookie and muffin. Screwed around at the house to long and got there with little time to spare. Put our stuff in the transition area. Luckily we had picked up our packets the night before and had everthing ready the night before. Had to mark ourselves as everyone was heading over to the prerace meeting.
Event warmup:

Headed down the beachpath which sounds nice, but might is an asphalt trail straight up the bluff. It is a big bluff. They actually timed it as a separate event for awards. It took me 3 minutes 26 seconds to walk up the thing. Anyways, got in the water and swimmed about 50 yds in the waves which was new to me, but it felt really good.
Swim
  • 09m 32s
  • 300 yards
  • 03m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swimming with people is crazy! I started in the back of my wave on the outside and still ran into people, got boxed in, etc. The first 100m was all crawl andfelt good and fast. I kept myself from getting excited before and kept form and speed nice and smooth. About 150 I started running out of gas and started falling apart. Side stroked most of the second half and kept taking on water. Thought about drowning so one of the kayaks would give me a ride to the beach. Luckily I have another guy next to me that I conviced myself I had to beat and used that to get back to the beach.
What would you do differently?:

Swim alot further and alot more for practice. Get some wave swimming in.
Transition 1
  • 06m 49s
Comments:

I don't think this time is quite right, but maybe they started the chip at the end of the beach path. That added another 200 yds to get to the transition area. Got there, took running shoes (from beach path) and put on bike shoes and jersey(swam in my bike shorts) and helmet and headed out at a walk.

Nothing. Went really smooth, just need to be in better shape so I can run faster to transition area and out of transition area.
Bike
  • 46m 37s
  • 13 miles
  • 16.73 mile/hr
Comments:

Not much training on bike, but definately my strongest event. Good flat course with small rolling hills suited me well. Stopped and gave tube and tire levers to guy with flat tire. Forgot to bring my pump. Hope he found someone with a pump. Lost time there, but proabably got it back when pickup passed me and then turned in front of me and stopped. I swerved and narrowly missed him. Adrenaline must have gotten going because I rocked the next 3-4 miles. Passed alot of people, got passed by the really good triathletes that started behind me. Had a nice small shower 3/4 the way through. Could have kept going anothe 5 miles easy enough. Finished the last mile strong.

Get some more bike training in. Don't know if the 16 miles bike ride the day before was a good idea, but it was fun.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

I flopped off my bike and kept running all the way to my rack spot. Whipped off bike shoes, put on running shoes and shuffled my way out of the transition area. The few seconds it took for me to change shoes, my legs tightened up and felt really weird. It was hard to take a stop over two inches.

Stretch after changing shoes. Maybe just run in my bike shoes. They are really comfortable.
Run
  • 28m 6s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Had a really hard time adjusting to the run after the bike. Took about two miles to loosen the legs up. Quickly found the port-a-potty to get rid of some excess fluids. Lost some time there and with the strecthing of the hammies which was much needed. Didn't get me legs under me until about 2 miles at the water station. They kept getting better after that. The climb out of the ravine took a toll on me as well as I ran up it. Luckily I only had a few hundred yards left after it and finished strong. Lots of the better athletes had came back along the path to cheer the rest of us on. Really helped get us going again after the ravine. The first two miles really hurt my time. My segment ranking really show that this is my weakest event.

Practice bike/running bricks. Many times.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank water and had fruit, cookies and kettle chips to eat. Went over and hung out with friends that came to cheer me on.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wasn't ready for the swim, but I didn't know what it would be like. I change my training for it now to better accomodate the conditions. Could get some more bike training in. I wasn't ready at all for running right after biking. I could have pushed harder in the run, but I didin't want to feel horrible afterwards as my goal was for participation in a tri and not competition. (Although I really did hate getting passed)

Event comments:

This tri is more geared for fun than serious competition. It takes place at a campgrounds and has lots of nice scenery and a uniqueness to it. As it is for the YMCA most of the money goes to them. For swag, you get a shirt and there are a few prizes for the winners. Fruit, drink, and chips consist of the after race food. It was well put together and run. There are certain aspects to it that probably keep it from being sanctioned as a USAT race, such as the beach path and maybe the dirt paths for running, but they are actually good for the race as they add an element of fun and a uniqueness to the experience.

Last updated: 2008-04-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:32 | 300 yards | 03m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 31/43
Overall: 135/234
Performance: Below average
Suit: none
Course: Swim out and back around buoys.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 06:49
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:46:37 | 13 miles | 16.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 30/43
Overall: 108/234
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Pretty flat loop on county blacktop. First 300 yds under construction so it was packed gravel, but good shape. All corners were swept and had volunteers cheering us on. Well marked. Long hill at mile 9.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:06 | 03 miles | 09m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 37/43
Overall: 165/234
Performance: Below average
Course: Dirt paths through timber and grass fields. Really nice place for a run. Paths were great condition. You run out of the transition area a few hundred yards, through a deep graveld path in a ravine and then in a big loop. Water station roughly half way through.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-30 1:14 AM

User image

Ballantyne
Subject: Croixathlon - 3rd annual

2008-06-30 6:07 AM
in reply to: #1498118

User image

Extreme Veteran
Woodbury,
Subject: RE: Croixathlon - 3rd annual
I didn't think there were any other BTers in the race - didn't consider anyone from Iowa was coming up. That's a hella long way to come for your first race. Nice job. Rest assured that despite being a sprint, that was actually a pretty difficult race to pick for your first event. Between the difficulty of the swim (although not terribly choppy, definately not calm with all the rollers on the river, and certainly murky), the beach path, the number of turns on the ride (not to mention the road construction) and the ravine on the run, I was surprised how technical it was for a race that must have had 1/3 of the field involved in their first tri. Sounds like you had a pretty good time, which is the most important thing!
2008-06-30 9:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO
 Way to go on your first tri Joe! Sounds like it was a blast, i'm sure your already looking forward to your next one. Thanks for the insight on your first race.
2008-06-30 12:09 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
First of all: Congratulations, TRIATHLETE! Good job!

There's just no way to really understand a tri open water swim until you do one...now you're dialed in on that. And you also got the sort of experience of the need for bike/run bricks that comes best from a race (or at least a time-trial "dress rehearsal", where you are going at race pace and do the transition to the run like in a race, too).

Great race report...thanks for sharing...and congrats, again, on the achievement!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Croixathlon - 3rd annual Rss Feed