Atlanta, Georgia
United States
Georgia Multisports
Total Time = 1h 48m 25s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 23/148
Pre-race routine:

I got up REALLY early. I couldn't sleep anyway. I was at the event just after transition opened at 5:00am. I had a glass of Accellarde and continued to drink water. I was glad to find that I only had 4 bikes on my rack so there was plenty of room. Hung out with Stroke of Genius and saw tons of Northern Atlanta Multisport Club folk.
Event warmup:

Went down to the beach and did a few strokes in the water. I have found that it helps me shake off the pre-race jitters a little. The wind was up so standing around got cold after getting out of the water to wait for the gun.
Swim
  • 12m 7s
  • 586 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

One of the oddest swims yet. The PA wasn't working so there was tons of confusion about where to actually go. At first the guy said to keep the bouys to the left, then the right. It turns out right, then left was the case. I was actually unsure of where to go when the gun went off. I was not alone. This was also my biggest wave yet. The weird thing was not all the contact it was a large percentage of breast strokers. I couldn't get by them. I was afraid I would get kicked in the ribs. At first I couldn't register why I could slide by. Finally I took a large loop around them and rounded the first bouy. By the second bouy I was more in my groove. I knew I had lost a lot of time.
What would you do differently?:

I think I will know now to go around right away and not waste anymore time than I have to. Most of the other confusion was out of my hands.
Transition 1
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

This event has a hard transiton area that is on top of a steep incline. It takes awhile to get there. From the swim you need to run across the beach and up this steep hill. I think my time was pretty decent for that. I had two problems. When I pulled my cap off, my pony tail fell out. I was running and trying to tie my hair back at the same time. Those of you who saw me at the end of the race, saw how that turned out! The other avoidable mistake was I forget to open my cycling shoes before the race.

I am thinking about braiding my hair before races. It should help with the cap issue. Make sure I open my shoes.
Bike
  • 1h 05m 41s
  • 18 miles
  • 16.44 mile/hr
Comments:

I really struggled with the gears in this race. Mostly I just don't know my bike well yet. I felt great on the flats, my shifting on the hills really hurt me. The one area I did well in was a long, incline on Peachtree Industrial. I got a nice cadence and just continued to pass people. While my remarks seemed to be really unhappy with my performance, I actually feel like I did the best I could do on the day.

I will continue getting use to my new gearing (2 rings instead of 3). I think I was physically well trained for it.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Felt fast with this transition. It was a long run with your bike into the racking section. One thing was that I hadn't down shifted enough coming up that short hill. My legs didn't need the extra hard work before the run.

Falls into that shirfting catagory again.
Run
  • 26m 52s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I really wanted to break 9 min miles. This course is hard for me because you go from a hilly ride to a uphill run. I felt better hydrated than I have in awhile. The cooler weather was of great help to me. I can never remember when I started on the run portion so I quickly lose track of what time I need to beat. A Gu on the bike was helpful. I felt decent the first half of the run and then really had to dig deep. I guess that is the same as always. I ran on the grass whenever I could. I am still almost a minute per mile slower than I use to be before my IT Band came into the picture. That is a frustrating thing. At the end of the race, I tried to pass one more girl at the finish line. I thought I had. She thought I had but we ended up tied. I sprinted the last 100 yards.

I need to continue to build my base endurance and speed work at the track.
Post race
Warm down:

Tried not to throw up at the finish line. Waited for my team members to come through the slot. It was great to see them complete their first triathlon. After a few minutes I drank some Gatorade and just enjoyed the accomplishment of doing this one more time.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think continued training and experience is what I need now.

Event comments:

If it hadn't been for the swim instructions, I think it was the best organized race I have ever been to. It was fun being in a all women's event. They had a table clothes on the tables and lot of fun give aways. I would recommend this race to anyone. I think it is a very challenging first race, however.

Last updated: 2008-06-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:07 | 586 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/148
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Right around the first bouy then turn into the course a bit and point to point swim to shore
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:15
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:05:41 | 18 miles | 16.44 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling hills (I think a few were fairly challenging) around Lake Lanier
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:52 | 03.11 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Course: Slightly rolling hills run
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-30 7:07 AM

User image

Subject: RYKA Iron Girl Triathlon

2008-06-30 8:22 AM
in reply to: #1498209

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: RE: RYKA Iron Girl Triathlon

Way to go, girl!  You were able to pass those breast stroking girls because you prepared for the race ... and the results showed.

Congrats on a great race.

2008-06-30 9:30 AM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Way to go! I'm not a fan of breast strokers either because I'm also paranoid about getting kicked in the face. I've heard this is a challenging course and your rocked it! Congrats!
2008-06-30 9:55 AM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

Simply Marvelous!!!!  You rocked it and those transition times will only come down and there pretty darn good right now.  As will you biking with getting to know your new baby.

CONGRATS on a incredible first race!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » RYKA Iron Girl Triathlon Rss Feed