Lewis Center, Ohio
United States
Fat Rabbit Racing
Total Time = 2h 44m 37s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and drove to the race site. We stayed at my gandmother's house in the RV the night before. I do like having the RV on race day. Put on coffee, ate a bagel with PB and honey. I got my stuff together, grabbed a cup of coffee and headed out to the transition area with my racing buddy Jeremy. Got things set up in transition. Headed down to the water for a quick swim and remembered that I had not put any jells or cliff bars in my binto box. Back up to transition and fill the box. While I'm remembering things I forgot, I might as well get my timing chip.
Event warmup:

Back down to the water and in for a quick swim. I swam maybe 5 minutes, then out of the water and stretch a bit.
Note: This is my "home course." It was the site of the first Olympic I ever competed in and I've done a fair amount of training in the water and on the bike course here. My time last year was 2:58:35.
Swim
  • 32m 3s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a land start. I was in the third wave. All of the Olympic waves went first, then the sprint waves. As I lined up for my wave Jeremy elbows me and points out my parents who have showed up to cheer me on. "Hi, Mom" I yell. She smiles. I spot my wife, kids and Dad in the crowd too. So the horn goes off and were in the water. Probably 3 dozen people are in my wave and it is crowded. After about 400 yards we get spread out and I can swim without running into anyone to much. About 1/2 through the first lap my left shoulder starts to bother me. A few more minutes and my left forearm and first finger go numb. Every few strokes I make a fist and try to get the blood flowing again. It bothers me the whole swim. At some point during all this my goggles begin to fog up and I have to stop and lick the inside of the lens. I treated them before the race but wore them the day before for my practice swim. Over all I’m not happy about my swim. I finished the swim 24 seconds slower than last year.
What would you do differently?:

Wear a freshly treated pair of goggles for the race.
Transition 1
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

Fair T1 for me. I was tired from the swim and took a little more time than I should have putting my socks on. I beat my 2:43 T1 from last year. So I made up that time I lost in the water.

Go faster.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 31s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.28 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal for the bike was to be out of T1 and on the bike 30 minutes in to my race. I looked at my watch coming out of T1 and it read 34 min and change. I knew I had a lot of ground to make up. I was shooting for 2 sub 40 minute loops which put me finishing the first loop no later than 1:10 into the race. I finished the first at about 1:11. Made up some time there.
Staying in areo was tough. My shoulder was still bothering me and I often had to put more weight on my right arm and shoulder than my left. I was in aero about 3/4 of the bike.
The second and last lap was uneventful, I passed 4 people but 4 people also passed me. As I made the final turn into the straightaway towards transition I saw my parents again. Another big wave and a loud "Hi Mom" to my mother (she likes to be recognized). The spectators and athletes around me laughed. I was coming into transition- feet out of shoes and riding on one side of the bike- when the bike in front of me stops abruptly before the dismount line and gets off. I made a little adjustment so I wouldn't hit him and he moves to the left, right in front of me. I hit the breaks and jump off the bike and my back wheel goes up in the air several feet. It hits the ground hard. When I try to push my bike toward transition the rear wheel won't move. I ended up picking up my bike and running with it to my spot.
Great bike for me. Last years time was 1:17:54. A difference of 4+ minutes.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

OK T2. there was not alot of room on the end of my rack for my bike. I ended up hooking the break shifters over the bar and going. having to run carrying the bike slowed me some.

Nothing
Run
  • 56m 8s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal for the run was to be out of T2 by 1:50 into the race. As I ran out of T2 I took a peak at my watch and it said 1:48:XX. I gave myself a little mental pat on the back and focused on running. About ¾ of a mile into the run the course goes through a nature path. It was a wet, soggy, muddy mess. I think it slowed a lot of people down. I ended up walking for a minute here. At first I tried to avoid the major mud puddles but eventually gave up and ran through them.
As I made turns and passed water stations I’d give my self time goals for the second lap. Pass aid station #1 at this time, make this turn by this time, etc. At one of the turn arounds I saw Jeremy coming toward me, high 5, Jay. I made a note of where he passed me on the run last year and was determined to hold him off this time. (I’m a better swimmer than him and we’re about even on the bike, but he ALWAYS gets me on the run.) He eventually got me with about 1 ½ miles to go. Much better than last year when he caught me 1 ½ miles into the run.
At the beginning of the second loop my wife, kids and parents were there cheering for me. I blew big kisses to them. I did manage to open up a blister on my left heel during the second loop. My sock had slipped down and my shoe rubbed a small section raw. I met all of my time goals on the second loop and crossed the crossed finish line in 56:08. This is the first time I’ve broken 60 minutes on the run leg of an Oly and I also set a new PR. My run this year also shattered last years run time of 1:05:04.

Nothing. This was a good run for me.
Post race
Warm down:

I crossed the finish line and went to the water station. Jeremy was there holding a water cup for me. A great sporting gesture from my main rival and best friend. Thanks, Jay.
I ate some food and drank some water, got back in the lake and cooled down some. Took some pics with Jay and my family.
A note for those who think I came off as a bit of a momma's boy here. I'm trying to convince my mom to do a sprint duathalon so I wanted to show her that I was having more fun than I actually was. That's why the Hi Mom's and big waves to her.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A lousy swim.

Event comments:

Great race Fat Rabbit. I've herd rumors that you're going out of business, say it isn't so.
This race was a PR for me. I shaved 13:58 off last years time! Mostly on the run.

Last updated: 2008-06-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:03 | 1640 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: 2 loop triangle course
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:50
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:13:31 | 24.85 miles | 20.28 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: 2 loops around open roads in the park
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 90+
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:56:08 | 06.21 miles | 09m 02s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: 2 loops on a very muddy nature trail and roads in the park.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-06-30 8:46 AM

User image

Master
Ohio
Subject: Alum Creek Olympic Distance

2008-06-30 9:41 AM
in reply to: #1498370

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Alum Creek Olympic Distance

Hey David great race man! Congrats on the new PR, seems to be a family string going here.Laughing

Hope the arm/shoulder are better. Did you ever figure out what the problem was? Hopefully nothing to serious. Great bike and run times..I can only hope for times like those in my first Oly attempt in a few weeks!

See you and Alice in a few weeks at the Columbus International! It will be my one and only Oly this year, have the beer ready for me at the finish  line will ya. Laughing

2008-07-01 2:00 PM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio

Good race David.  Nice to read a report where a competitor is doing better across the board.

2008-07-02 7:36 AM

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
Great job on the PR on the course... Guess you get to meet another BTer at Columbus too.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Alum Creek Olympic Distance Rss Feed