Cutting Edge Events
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 53m 42s
Overall Rank = 95/166
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 17/24
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 4:00am, had a couple blueberry muffins, handful of nuts, and some powerade and water. Was able to sleep a solid 6 hours so that was good.
Event warmup:

Nadda, figures my 1.2 mile swim would be warmup for bike and run :)
Swim
  • 39m 12s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went really good for me despite the waves picking up a little on the 2nd lap. My brother said my laps were within 10 seconds of each other so that was nice. Sighting wasn't great as i would veer 30 or 40yrds to far left on the far side of the course of both laps(right arm dominate I spose?) Sun was blinding coming into the beach on both laps as well, but didn't hamper me too much. Overall the swim was faster than I anticipated.
What would you do differently?:

I'm pleased with this swim, just need to keep practicing as i've only learned to swim 3 months ago.
Transition 1
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

Didn't rush here. Suit off, dried off a little, nibbled half a powerbar, bike stuff on and gone.

Nada atm.
Bike
  • 3h 04m 47s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.18 mile/hr
Comments:

Hit the 20 mile turnaround at exactly 1hr flat and then it was on and off battle with the wind it seemed. The last 6 miles of my ride it started to rain at a pretty good clip and that didnt help with the 20 mph headwind either. During that last 6 mile stretch I looked at my computer registering 14-15 mph lol, uggghhh. As a whole I made sure I kept my HR in check and paced myself never really getting breathless the whole time. The problem with this is I forget I need to keep up with fueling and hydrating when it feels easyish. I took in 1.5 bottles of water, 1.25 bottles of perpeteum/water, 1 gel, and half of a banana and that was it. Probably needed to finish off the bottles of water and perp and possibly another banana and gel. All in all it was a good learning experience for a race of this distance, though I can't help but be a little disappointed.

Perhaps I should have pushed a little harder and upped my fuel intake and still finished with a better run split beind it. Something to try for my next HIM I spose.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

Felt really good coming in off the bike, took it nice and easy. Ate a little more of my soggy powerbar, put on shoes,hat,race belt and Garmin and I was off.

Nadda atm.
Run
  • 2h 05m 32s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

As soon as i left T2 I swung by the restroom, had to go badly. Lost nearly 2 mins, but ya gotta go ya know. Was clipping along averaging slightly over 8 min miles after the first 3 miles but at mile 4, KAPOW, first sign of left quad starting to cramp. Within 1 minute the right quad got it too. UH-OH. Quickly downed a gel and drank some gatorade at the aide station. Cramp subsided for a mile or 2 then came back and I fought it the whole rest of the way. The second lap was difficult not only for the cramps but it really dumped rain for about 4 miles straight. The blessing is I never worried about overheating :) Despite the cramps I was never forced to walk at all, but it certainly killed my pace a lot. My HR was in check the whole time but my legs were cramped up lead stumps. Disappointed in this performance as well. The highlight of the run though was when my 2 little girls ran down the chute with me through the finish line. That scene has probably been played to death at every HIM and IM event but I still enjoyed it :)

Need fuel and hydrate more on the bike to help this out and in general train more at these longer distances.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with a group of friends and family that came to watch me and another friend that did the race as well(grats Tommy for 1st place in clyds with a 5:26:43!).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My nutrition and hydration or lack thereof. I knew it was a big deal and still didn't stay on top of it. Not smart. Headwind certainly didn't halp, but weather happens so it don't count, right :)

Event comments:

This was a perfect race for my first HIM event, small, well organized, not that overwhelming racy feel. I never got nervous even as the swim was starting. This surprised me the most of all this weekend. I finished my first HIM and therefore I'm happy! Even got a nifty finishers medal. Now time to get better. I was able to meet a couple BTers (Brett and John U.) in trans area prior to race and got a "hey BT" on the race course a few times too, so that was cool. Big thanks to all the volunteers and to my friends and family that waited around for 6 hrs , while I punished myself: )

Last updated: 2008-05-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:12 | 2112 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 20/24
Overall: 96/166
Performance: Average
Suit: 2XU full
Course: 2 oval loops. Had to exit water, run around a cone located on the beach near the waters edge, in between laps.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:21
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:04:47 | 56 miles | 18.18 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/24
Overall: 99/166
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out 20 miles, come back and do a short loop then back to finish. Fairly flat with a few small hills, nothing major.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:05:32 | 13.1 miles | 09m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/24
Overall: 0/166
Performance: Below average
1st lap-> 59:30 2nd lap-> 1:06:02
Course: 2 loops of an out and back course. Mostly flat with a few little bumps for hills.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-06-30 11:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO
Subject: Cutting Edge Half Classic

2008-06-30 12:21 PM
in reply to: #1499032

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Subject: RE: Cutting Edge Half Classic
Sub-6...amazing job! Given how recently you decided to go for this, I'm really, really, impressed with the job you did...solid work in all three disciplines. Congratulations!
2008-06-30 6:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pekin, IL
Nice race.  Way to represent for BT.  Those last miles on the bike were brutal.
2008-06-30 9:16 PM

User image

Overland Park, KS
WOW... WOW... WOW.  Ok, I'm NEVER going to be able to keep up with you now - you went from Sprint to this quickly.  Great job!
2008-07-01 12:57 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Wow, John! Awesome time for your first HIM. I would think that would be a dream time for most at that distance...you have really been working hard and it shows. Way to go!
2008-07-01 9:58 AM

User image

Expert
St. Louis

I can't believe you just learned how to swim. What an accomplishment!  Congrats on your first HIM.   You've obviously got a lot of natural talent and you'll go far in this sport.

~B

2008-07-02 1:07 PM

User image

Prosper, TX
Great to meet you John and just an outstanding race! Well done!
2008-07-03 7:38 AM

User image

Expert
Evansville, IN
SCHWINNGGG!! Well done and great meeting you! Keep up the good work. Someday, you to can do 1475 miles in just 45 minutes!!!! : )
2008-07-03 8:38 AM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Congrats John on a great race! You've got loads of potential so keep up the great work, you're training is definitely paying off.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cutting Edge Half Classic Rss Feed