General Discussion Race Reports! » Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 4 Robina Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 4 Robina - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log
Robina - Gold Coast, QLD
Australia
30C / 86F
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 28m 59s
Overall Rank = 427/493
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 61/69
Pre-race routine:

Packed my stuff the night before, and felt fairly relaxed about the race the next day. Woke up Sunday, feeling good ready to go, as apposed to Saturday when I felt very tired, this seems to be the norm now a day before any race. Made my way to the course and did all the usual things like register, lay out all my stuff in transition and line up for the loo.
Event warmup:

The loo line was quite long and so in the end I only had time to slip on my swim cap and goggles and dive in ready to start. This didn't seem to impact on my swim time though.
Swim
  • 16m 26s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

I made my way to the front of pack at the start line. I got passed by a few people at the start but this is a better strategy then starting at the back of the pack and trying to swim past other slower swimmers. My swim felt good most of the way around the course but towards the end I stared to get tired and lost my way a bit, ending up swimming off course.
What would you do differently?:

Try and stay focused towards the end of the swim and sight those swim makers correctly and of course, train more (that goes without saying).
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 went without incident. I had seen a few large black ants wandering around my stuff when I had laid it out and was a bit worried that they may end up in my singlet or bike shoes but they stayed away. Oh.. by the way, it was pouring rain at this stage so I jumped onto my bike with caution.

Nothing really, it went fairly well.
Bike
  • 45m 12s
  • 20 kms
  • 26.55 km/hr
Comments:

As I mentioned the heavens opened up just I got to T1 so I was a bit worried about the bike ride as I had fallen of my bike the last time I was out riding in the rain, nothing too serious through, just a few scratches and bruises. Anyway, I took it fairly carefully rounding the corners and made it around the course in one piece. Water kept on spraying into my face and pouring into my left shoe, strangely enough but I was glad that at the front of my shoe there is a hole (obviously to drain water out of your shoe when your riding in the rain). I was passed by a hundred and one people which was a bit demoralising and tells me that I don't spend enough time training on my bike.

If I'm serious about achieving my long term goal of finishing in the top half of my age group for a tri race, I'll need to spend more time training on my bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I jumped off my bike and racked it in the correct position next to my running shoes, put on my shoes and headed off for the run. It must have been a second or two but as I heard somebody laughing about if a runner fell over at least they wouldn't hurt their head because they still had their helmet on, i realised that they were in fact laughing at me. Embarrassed and glad to be running away from the laughter I quickly ripped off my helmet and turned back smiling dumbly.

Well...taking my helmet off would be a good start.
Run
  • 27m 20s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 28s  min/km
Comments:

After I removed my helmet and settled into my pace for the run, the rain stopped, the wind disappeared and the sun came out making for a nice hot and muggy run. The run seemed to drag on and on and on forever and then thoughts started running through my head like "maybe I could stop running and walk" or even worse "I could just stop and have a little rest for a minute or two". As much as I wanted to stop running and take it easy, there was no way that was going to happen. In the end I ran all the way and was so glad to have finished another race.

Wear a different singlet as the one I wore (in the rain) weighed a ton when it got wet and gave me nipple rash and it hurts like hell!!!
Post race
Warm down:

I found a bit of shade and downed a couple of Gatorade's, bananas and some orange segments. Chatted with a couple of mates who I race with and relived my helmet moment.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of time spent doing quality training.

Event comments:

With all my races my goal is to have fun, improve my fitness and hopefully improve my ability as a triathele. With today's race, I certainly achieved all three, even if I only improved my ability as a triathlete by a tiny bit.

Last updated: 2005-01-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:26 | 750 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 53/69
Overall: 366/493
Performance: Average
Suit: N/A
Course: A rectangle course
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 28F / -2C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:12 | 20 kms | 26.55 km/hr
Age Group: 59/69
Overall: 403/493
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 4 laps of a 5km circuit
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:27:20 | 05 kms | 05m 28s  min/km
Age Group: 67/69
Overall: 443/493
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 laps of a 2.5km course
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-01-24 12:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 4 Robina

2005-01-24 1:26 AM
in reply to: #107566

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 4 Robina
Ahh so you did race.
And your report made me laugh! Much focus in getting to the run I see.

You also did well riding in the rain at that speed.

Keep at that training!
2005-01-24 2:14 AM
in reply to: #107566

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 4 Robina
Looking good! Great race report - made me laugh - the helmet and the nipple rash!!!
Your times are good, keep training and you will see the improvement that you are after.
Nothing like 4 seasons in one day to make a triathlon fun.
Watch out for those ants!
Well done!
M
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 4 Robina Rss Feed