Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3
85F / 29C
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 31m 34s
Overall Rank = 307/900
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 54/146
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:00. Had some Grapenuts with Rice Milk and banana's.
Event warmup:

Rode my bike to the race site. Walked around a lot and made my way to the bathroom. Hell.... I didn't even get in the water for a warm up swim. I did get in up to my waist for about a minute but that was about it.
Swim
  • 36m 48s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim start sucked balls. People were running along the beach when they started the race. Since we were in a cove you could run the beach for a while before actually getting into the water to swim. The pros did it and set a really bad example for the AGer's. I spoke with some of the pros after the race and they said they have spoke with Marty Grier and Marty is going to change the start for next year so that it doesn't happen again. Good call.
What would you do differently?:

Make more swim workouts. My life has been crazy latey so it has been difficult making all the workouts I would like to.
Transition 1
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

I kinda took my time in T1. I wasn't really in a rush. I forgot my sunglasses so I had to go back 10 ft to get them but no big deal.

Could have sped up but not loosing any sleep over it.
Bike
  • 2h 57m 38s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.92 mile/hr
Comments:

If some of you may know I crashed here a couple fo years back so my goal was not to crash this year. I took the downhills very easy and never pushed too hard on the rest of the course. I gotta thank my coaches at T3 and my buddy Charles for getting me to ride correctly uphills. I passed a million people who were grinding out the gears while out of their saddles climbing. I just stayed in my seat and kept my cadence and I felt great. Listen up people!!!!!.... Learn how to really ride a bike and you'll feel like a million bucks about it.
This was the first race I ever wore a hrm. I have been training with one so I thought I would use it for the race to keep me in check. It totally did. At first I was a little worried when we climbed that first big hill out of transition. My hr was 184 at the top. But it sooned calmed down and I did my best to keep it at 160 to 165.
I never pushed really hard on the bike because I have a bigger race coming up and wanted to see where I was with my training on the bike and run.

Gone faster but my plan was to be cool about it and I did. I nailed my hydration and nutrition and that was a big thing. I also pissed on the bike for the first time so that was pretty cool.
Transition 2
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

When I got into T2 I tried to go one way and the volunteer told me to go the other way. That kinda messed me up but pro Amy Marsh said she saw me when it happened and she got a good laugh. Anything I can do to make the ladies laugh. Again.... once to my rack I just took my time. No rush.

Gone faster
Run
  • 1h 51m 35s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I just wanted to run the run course not race it. About a mile in my friend Joanie past me and stayed about 50 m ahead of me until the first hill. I crushed it and Joanie's hopes of beating me on the run. I took my time and just wanted to see if my nutrition plan would work. It totally did. Pretty friggin' pimp.

Again.... gone faster but for this race I did what I expected to do. I finshed feeling pretty good and not totally spent.
Post race
Warm down:

My warm down consisted of me checking on my T3 bros and eating watermelon. I did have 2 beers but Tammy (Elitefeet.com) told me only 2 and so I stopped there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Rain was a factor. I had plenty of rest the night before so I came in fresh and feeling good. I held back a lot throughout the race but that's what I set out to do.

Event comments:

I am pretty sure I will never do this race again. I like the course but I have other fish to fry. I came out of this race feeling more confident that I have in the past. It was a good building block for my A race this summer.

Last updated: 2007-12-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:48 | 2112 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/146
Overall: 592/900
Performance: Below average
Suit: Zootz Speed Suit
Course:
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:50
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:57:38 | 56 miles | 18.92 mile/hr
Overall: 297/900
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling hills with some flat parts. Some downhills that will get you a little worried since there are turns towards the bottom.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 91
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:39
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:51:35 | 13.1 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Overall: 299/900
Performance: Good
8:12 7:49 8:04 8:21 8:31 8:22 9:01 8:54 8:19 9:07 8:38 8:38 10:30 (1.1 mi)
Course: Hills at the beginning, flat in the middle and hills at the end.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes