Broome County Parks & Recreation
76F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 24m 48s
Overall Rank = 52/142
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/7
Pre-race routine:

Actually didn't get going as early as I had anticipated. The race started at 9:30 and I didn't get out of bed until 7:30 and on the road at 8:15.
Event warmup:

Light stretching for about 10 min then swam for about 10 minutes...free style, one arm drill, kicking, some backstroke.
Swim
  • 14m 24s
  • 800 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

There were lots of kayakers and folks in motor boats so I think safety was a priority for the organizers. Mass start from the beach.
What would you do differently?:

Early on I got in a pattern of breathing on one side but fixed that and was just fine.
Transition 1
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

They didn't have the transition area marked, but I knew where to go from last year. Beware to newbies! I didn't towel off out of the water and I think this saved a good amount of time.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 42m 54s
  • 12 miles
  • 16.78 mile/hr
Comments:

My bike was bought from Target.com for about $175 so changing gears is quite a challenge in a race because it definitely is not designed for racing.

Still need to work on the bike. I missed 1st in my age group by 5 minutes and I believe four minutes of that is from the bike leg.
Transition 2
  • 00m 43s
Comments:

I stopped to stretch and although my T2 time was about 5 seconds slower than last year it was worth the extra few seconds because I dropped time from my run.
Run
  • 25m 43s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

My training has really paid off. I felt like a million bucks on the run.

Push harder. No pain, no gain, right?? I need to incorporate more speed into my workouts, but I was pleasantly surprised that I had almost no difficulty getting my legs for the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, water, water and stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to get more sprint workouts in, but my endurance was right on.

Event comments:

The race director changed this year, so I'm not sure how that changed things.

They only mark our number on our right leg. I think it'd be helpful to have the other leg marked with our age. Packet pick up went smooth, the transition area had no assigned racks and I thought last year they were. The TA wasn't marked...no signs for bike in/bike out or run in/run out and I think that is helpful to new people because I knew 3 people for sure who were racing for the first time. There also wasn't a sign for the dismount line and my mom said a lot of people were riding into the TA. Last year after the race we all got a lunch and that wasn't the case this year. They had cut up bananas and oranges. For a $30 entry fee, though, you can't expect too much. I placed 2nd in my age group and was supposed to receive a $15 gift certificate to Dick's, but only got one for $10. So, I'm not sure if that was an error or if that was the case for all the 2nd place finishers.

It's a little annoying that the results don't have rankings for each leg. I'd like to see that next year.

This is my 4th triathlon and the second time doing this race. It seemed like people, both volunteers and athletes, weren't as friendly as they usually are. Usually, out on the course people are cheering each other on, but that really wasn't the case. And the volunteers weren't very energetic either. It was a gorgeous day for a race so I'm not sure what was wrong with folks.

Last updated: 2008-05-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:24 | 800 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 0/142
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Inverted triangle. No current.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:04
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:54 | 12 miles | 16.78 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: I recall a woman getting locked up in her gears last year on the climb out of the park but didn't see anything like that happen this year. Roads were pretty good...once out of Broome County (for about 4 miles total) the roads are a funny bumpy pavement. There is a pretty gnarly climb around the 10.5 mile mark. Granny gears all the way.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:43
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:43 | 03.11 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Course: Trails, some paved trails and grass. STEEP climb up a dam.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-07-07 3:56 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Subject: Broome County Triathlon

2008-07-07 9:13 PM
in reply to: #1512665

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Subject: RE: Broome County Triathlon

Great race and excellent job on the swim and run!! You'll be amazed at the difference a light bike makes!

Keep up the great work!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Broome County Triathlon Rss Feed