General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Brothers Super Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Iron Brothers Super Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Grand Prairie, Texas
United States
Ironhead Race Productions
Sunny
Total Time = 58m 14s
Overall Rank = 26/163
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/11
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early and showered to relax. I had trouble sleeping at one point because of pre-race jitters. As I showered, I talked to myself to think "Speed" and that I was faster than I thought I was. It was a very powerful felling to deep breathe and feel what I was about to go out there and try to accomplish. After the shower, I ate a PB&J sandwich (with homemade PB!) to get some food in my stomach. On the hour long drive down to Grand Prairie, I sipped on Gatorade.
Event warmup:

Nothing, Just set my transition area and stood around with my family. Listened to another one of Jack's famous pre-race speeches.
Swim
  • 08m 34s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my second open water swim ever. The water was nice and warm. Also, it was not very windy at start time, so there was no chop. I started out a bit too fast because I was having trouble breathing. I finally found my rhythm after rounding the first bouy. I fell out of form for a bit, and then started concentrating on that more. I only get to swim once a week, and I have only gone twice in the past month, so I think I did pretty damn well for slacking off.
What would you do differently?:

Actually train :P
Transition 1
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

Decent T1. I ran the entire time to get the blood flowing in my legs and executed all my steps in order without fail.

Nothing, just need to practice on speed really. I have the order down.
Bike
  • 30m 42s
  • 11 miles
  • 21.50 mile/hr
Comments:

My shining moment. I finally got to race my new Cervelo and I raced it like it was going out of style. The course seemed flat as a pancake, but it was really slightly downhill going out and slightly uphill coming back. It was deceiving. There was a little bump near the turn around that didn't even phase me. I just got in aero and blasted the entire time. I was picking off people like mad. There was one guy that I joust could not catch up to, but he wasn't in my age group, so he wasn't a threat. The wind was picking up on the way back, and I had to downshift a little to deal with it. I am glad that I have made myself go out and train in the wind lately.

Nothing. I kept my cadence up and went as fast as I could while still saving some for the run. I am really really happy with my bike performance.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

Argh!! My socks got stuck going on my feet! (I know, I know... don't wear socks in a sprint... but I have to because I get blisters if I don't) So I wasted time fixing that, and then I forgot to take off my helmet!! The volunteer told me about it so I had to stop and go back a bit to throw it back at my rack spot.

Not screw up putting my socks. Remember to take off my helmet.
Run
  • 16m 22s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Wow. Fastest run pace in a race ever. That includes walking for a few seconds!! I slowed down to burp at around 0.5 miles, then slowed to drink at the aid station, and relaxed a bit at the aid station. I never actually stopped moving, just slowed to a fast walk to regain strength.

Do more bricks. I haven't bricked in a while, so my legs were out of it coming off the bike. That really hindered my run and why I had to slow at points. I could have come in under 16 minutes had I not slowed.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around while drinking my chocolate milk and eating a banana. I felt like almost puking when I finished, so I know I went to my limit. I was so excited to beat my goal time of 1 hour. I was even more excited to find out that I might have placed. I was floored when I found out I won! It was a wonderful feeling. I had exceeded all my expectations.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Crappy T2. Burping on run and not bricking enough during training.

Event comments:

It's an Ironhead race, they always put on a great show. Like I said before, I far exceeded any expectations and goals I had for this race. To win a race less than one year after barely finishing my first is truly amazing. Everyday I am more impressed with what I am capable of. I still cannot believe that I was an un-athletic and over-weight lazy person two years ago. Never ever would I think I would be winning a triathlon... I am sooo happy and cannot wait to see what more I can accomplish.

Last updated: 2008-07-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:34 | 400 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/11
Overall: 40/163
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Triangle shaped swim in Joe Pool Lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:32
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:30:42 | 11 miles | 21.50 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 25/163
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back course along the Joe Pool Lake dam.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:16:22 | 02 miles | 08m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/11
Overall: 50/163
Course: Out and back along park road. Flat as a pancake. No elevation changes at all.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-13 9:28 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Subject: Iron Brothers Super Sprint Triathlon

2008-07-13 10:03 PM
in reply to: #1526517

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vancouver BC
Subject: RE: Iron Brothers Super Sprint Triathlon
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!  Awesome results!!
2008-07-14 6:41 AM
in reply to: #1526517

User image

Davenport, IA
Subject: RE: Iron Brothers Super Sprint Triathlon
Awesome race! Congrats on winning your age group. That's definitely the way to do it.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Brothers Super Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed