Muncie Endurathon
85F / 29C
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 09m 4s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 11/20
Pre-race routine:

Bad nerves the last 2 days before the race, but by the time we drove down I had it under control. Went to Expo on Friday for pre-race meeting and met up with Amy, but missed other BT'ers. Had some dinner then went to the site to check it out and do a little swim. Water was murky and a little choppy.

Decided a week ago to not stay with Eric's sister in Ft. Wayne when we figured out we'd have to wake up at around 2:30 am. So Best Western it was. Didn't sleep great, but didn't feel to bad when the alarm went off at 4. Loaded up the truck and heated up Kashi breakfast in hotel's microwave and got some coffee. It was really nice that they opened up breakfast early to accommodate the athletes.

Headed out and got to the site around 5. It was really dark out still and I was surprised that they didn't have lights for folks to set up. Steelhead had light towers with generators, but there wasn't anything to help out. Tried to get the maglight from our vehicle, but apparently the batteries were dead. By that time the sky was getting lighter anyway, so we got set up.

Amy had the rack space next to me, so we chatted. Ran into Lori and Keith from MI and Jaret from the gym. Then met Rottieguy on the next rack over. Funny to meet someone who lives a few blocks away for the first time at a race like this!
Event warmup:

Took the bikes for a 10 min. spin to check out the gearing and to scope out the bike in/out layout. Then we grabbed our running shoes and ran down to the "secret" bathrooms by the water, back up and around for a few minutes. Weather moving in meant no time for a swim warmup and waves were starting early. Eric decided to wear his wetsuit despite the 80 deg. water, still an official finisher, they just scored wetsuit folks in a different category.
Swim
  • 41m 47s
  • 2112 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

Chatted with Amy and Kellybear before swim. Weather was moving in pretty fast and reservoir was getting pretty choppy. I lined up to the outside to accommodate the drift and to get out of the way of the crowd.

Not a terrible swim for me sans wetsuit. It felt like being in a washing machine the whole time. I took a couple mouthfuls of water in with the chop and all the bodies. It felt like I was constantly touching people with the condensed swim waves, but didn't have any bad/painful contacts. With a couple minutes left on my swim, the rain started pouring. I got out of the water right around 40:00 (beating Steelhead by almost 4 min), but swim times included a decent jog up to the mat.
What would you do differently?:

Still some more OW swimming. Not breath in water.
Transition 1
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

Normally I'm a really good transitioner, but I think the crazy rain had me rattled. I had covered up my area with my towel before the swim to keep it dry (we didn't bring plastic bags with us), so I uncovered the area and put on my socks and shoes. I wasn't going to try pre-clipping into my shoes in the rain.

Saw that my glasses were wet and foggy, so I wiped them with my towel. And proceeded to knock out one of the interchangable lenses. Great. It took me 2 tries to get it back in with shaky hands...it felt like an eternity. Glasses and helmet on and I was off.

Plastic bags are now added to our pre-race checklist. Not wipe my glasses off.
Bike
  • 3h 07m 50s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.89 mile/hr
Comments:

I really wanted to be under 3 hours for this bike, but it was not to be. I know this is my weakest sport and I'm trying hard to not suck at biking.

Lightning was flashing on the way to the bike, and I briefly thought about how safe it was to ride. I didn't see anyone else not continuing though, so I tried to think about how not to get struck during the bike. The rain was crazy though...like thousands of little needles. I tried to think about it being maybe like acupuncture.

First mile or 2 had some rolling hills until the greenway. This was nice and fast! Only problem was that sunglasses meant I couldn't see anything with the tree cover. I was just hoping there weren't any pavement breaks in front of me that I couldn't see. I tried to go a decent pace on this section because I had a feeling the wind would be a factor once we hit the highway.

Guess what? I was right. Once we got on the highway, the winds were gusty...sometimes cross-winds, sometimes hitting me in front...always wanting to knock me off the bike. I felt more exposed to the weather here too...and still afraid of lightning. I thought, I wonder if I should not be touching my index shifters while biking in case lightning does hit me - then I'm touching less metal. Yes, crazy thoughts.

There was a right turn after an hour of riding and things got even worse. I was for sure going right into the wind and I was getting a little demoralized. I swear people were passing me like I was standing still. I saw Eric a little bit before the turn around and that helped. Once we turned, there was a nice tailwind, and I finished that section a full 5 min. faster than the way out.

Full disclosure - I ended up peeing on the bike at this point, first time for that. I had to go, there wasn't an aid station around, and I was so drenched anyway that it seemed okay. I found out later that Eric did too. Note - we did shower after the race.

The rest of the bike went a little better, the winds were mostly in my favor and the rain was getting lighter. The last 6 or so miles were worse road conditions, but definitely better than some MI roads we've ridden, so not too terrible.

I finished this course 37 seconds slower than Steelhead, but I guess with the terrible conditions compared to perfect conditions last year, I can't complain.

More biking and more deliberate bike workouts instead of slogging through miles! I definitely need to get more power on the bike to deal with winds, because we'll likely get some of that at IMFL.
Transition 2
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

Slope into transition was MUDDY! Got feet out of shoes before dismounting and ran in socks through the mudpit to my rack. Uh-oh...I forgot to cover my gear back up after T-1. I did have an extra pair of socks, but they were soaked. I figured that was better than soaked and muddy, so I swapped 'em. I actually had puddles of water in my shoes. I shook them out and put them on. Grabbed my hat, racebelt and flask and was outta there.

Ummm...plastic bag, obviously. But overall transition was okay.
Run
  • 2h 14m 23s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Slosh, slosh, slosh out of transition and onto the road...my feet were WET! Luckily, the rain had stopped and the weather instead turned into a super hot sunny steambath. Awesome. Thank goodness for icy towels at the aid stations.

First 3 miles of run seemed like the rolling hills wouldn't stop. And my ankles and calves were achy from the slope of the road...I swear there were no even surfaces. Held a pretty firm 10 min pace for a while and was feeling okay.

Saw Lori when I was at mile 4...holy crap she's fast! Then Amy a little later...also fast! Missed Rottieguy, he slipped by me, and then saw Eric after mile 5.

I was loving the Infinit nutrition I had going for the race, no belly issues for me this time. But I forgot my emergency gel in transition, so I was just going to get one at an aid station at the turnaround. Got there and they only had banana flavored Hammergel. Gross. I decided to go without and to do another shot of Infinit concentrate in water. Had to wait until the aid station at mile 8 for another shot at a gel, and I should've just went with banana. I started losing steam for a bit, and dropped off my pace between miles 5-9. When I got to the gel girl (my savior), she had chocolate and banana, so I got the chocolate and took it down. Oh my gosh, it was like heaven. Chocolate-y deliciousness in a tiny packet. I love you, Hammergel.

Started feeling better and picked the pace up a little more. I was able to pass 2 other women in my age group in the last 2 miles. Last year I for sure wouldn't have been able to because I had no steam left. I actually felt pretty good for the last part of the run. Kind of a cruel joke that the final .1 mile was uphill. Thanks for that.

Run was almost 5 min. faster than last year, despite the much hillier course.

Not feel so beat up after the bike. Start off with dry gear. Take a gel with me and take it sooner for some more calories.
Post race
Warm down:

Warmed down with a walk to the food tent. Replaced about 2000 of the calories I burned with lots of yummy food and ice cream. Used the outdoor shower to wash off all the disgusting-ness I accumulated out on the course.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Choppy swim with no wetsuit. Awful weather on bike. Me being a crummy biker. Hillier than expected run. Picky tastebuds dictating nutrition.

But after all of that, I still beat my Steelhead time by almost 8 min...and I didn't feel too bad afterwards.

Event comments:

Awesome race, great organization and volunteers.

Last updated: 2008-06-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:47 | 2112 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Triangle course. Swim time includes jog uphill to timing mat.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:34
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:07:50 | 56 miles | 17.89 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Weird shape. Down reservoir, on greenway, down highway to turnaround. Back up and over reservoir.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:26
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:14:23 | 13.1 miles | 10m 16s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Rolling hills and slanted slope.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-07-13 11:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Canton, MI
Subject: Muncie Endurathon

2008-07-14 5:56 AM
in reply to: #1526735

User image

Westland, MI
Subject: RE: Muncie Endurathon
Nice race report! It was good to see you and Eric. Hope to see you both soon either down Hines or at Island Lake. Good luck with your Ironman training.

Lori and Keith
2008-07-14 6:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
You had an amazing race!!!  Way to go!  The conditions were rough.  I am impressed with the peeing on the bike.  I still can't even pee during the swim! :-)  I need to learn how to relax and do this.  :-)
2008-07-14 6:54 PM

User image

Westland, MI
By the way . . . after swearing that I would never do it, I too peed on the bike . . . twice. In some sick way I'm hoping for rain at Ironman Wisconsin!!!
2008-07-15 12:19 PM
in reply to: #1529424

User image

Veteran
Canton, MI
secondsonracing - 2008-07-14 7:54 PM

By the way . . . after swearing that I would never do it, I too peed on the bike . . . twice. In some sick way I'm hoping for rain at Ironman Wisconsin!!!

I hear ya...I always just thought, "It's not like I'm going to win, so why not take the extra 19 seconds to get off the bike and go." But in the rain...well, it almost felt appropriate!

We had a friend that did Wisconsin, I think it was 3 years ago, when it was windy, rainy, and cold. He said he was peeing on himself just for the warmth! I'll do my rain dance for you before that weekend.

BTW, Eric and I are thinking about coming out to either volunteer or spectate for Wisconsin to get our heads wrapped around what to expect at IMFL.
2008-07-15 4:25 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Hi my name is Steve and I pee on myself too.

It first started at a very cold tri last sept and the water was cold and it warmed me up in my wetsuit, and progressed in Muncie to the thing I swore I'd never do, pee on myself during the bike. But with the rain I made an exception and said "Oh I'll use a porta pottie in T2" then the time came again and the rain was coming down, and I let loose a second time. Next I knew it was a third time before getting off the bike. (I think the male anatomy may affect peeing after being on a bike so long)

I feel better now that I'm out of the closet, but I'm not sure my bike shoes will forgive me, or that I'll look at them the same again.

Great job on your race. I wish I would've yelled at you but we looked to be both suffering when I passed you on the run course. That humidity was messing with me.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to train with you and Eric in the future.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Muncie Endurathon Rss Feed