Canada
28C / 82F
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 53/60
Age Group = Elite Men
Age Group Rank = 15/19
Pre-race routine:

The two days before, we drove up with several juniors and adults from the club (19 total between three vans). By the time we got squared away in Gatineau, it was time for Denis and I to head to the CF briefing prior to the dinner and we didn't have a chance to get anything in. Definitely not the best lead up to a race. I woke up early and headed to the race site; I got a little lost enroute and had to figure my way around Gatineau. I arrived just after the OD start and watched the early races before warming up.
Event warmup:

Tom, Josh and I did a short run (about 10'), easy on the trails with a couple of pickups at the end. After that, we grabbed our bikes and did some riding in the parking lot, did some group corners in preparation for the race. Cut the bike warmup a little short when we noticed the glass at one corner and figured with all the flats that we had already seen, we wouldn't tempt fate any more than we had to. Finally, into the water for about 10' of easy swimming before waiting for the start.
Swim
  • 12m 36s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 41s / 100 meters
Comments:

I felt really strong to start the swim; I was just in front of Jay and Trevor and my plan was to go steady for the first 200m and then try to bridge. I was moving well (although I could feel my tritop catching some water - not good for a non-wetsuit swim) but when I looked to find a group to bridge to, everyone was gone. I focused on swimming steady through the rest of the swim; I was navigating very well and able to maintain my pace through most of the swim. With about 200m to go, I could feel myself drop off pace a little, but then Jay came by and I jumped on his feet through to the finish. Jay and Trevor were out of the water first (by seconds) and we hit T1 together.
What would you do differently?:

I need to be able to swim faster if I'm going to race elite wave again. I had a fairly solid swim (especially non-wetsuit) and looking at some other times, it appears it was swimming a little long. Fairly happy with my performance but my goal will be to get down to a 10:xx swim for sprint distance before next season.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I was into transition just behind Trevor and Jay; Trevor flew through transition and I passed Jay. I was quickly on my bike and out on the course.

Nothing - very good T1
Bike
  • 25m 17s
  • 14.4 kms
  • 34.17 km/hr
Comments:

I was on my bike and getting my shoes on when Jay went by; I should have jumped on his wheel and straightened my shoes out later. This let him and Trevor get too far ahead of me and I didn't spend the effort to bridge up. I got my shoes ready and rode well through the first lap; I could see the lead pack gaining (and a chase pack keeping them motivated) so I was just riding hard; Trevor had bridged up from Jay to another group and Jay was on his own as well. I started working to reel him in, but he was riding scared as well and I just wasn't gaining on him. The second lap saw the lead group put some more time on me and at the start of the third, I knew I was in trouble. I was hoping Tom and Geoff would catch me and we could start working together but they were caught and pulled. As I turned back into the park I had my head down and was pushing for all I was worth; all I wanted to do was start the fourth lap and finish the race but with about 600m to go, I was caught and the official let me know I was done. The lead group went by and I rolled into the turn and cheered on our juniors and the other CF athletes. Then, I did the walk of shame and turned in my chip before watching our athletes finish.

I should have either jumped on Jay's wheel right away or sprinted up to him and Trevor; I'm just not experienced enough with draft legal racing to race tactically. I need to be ready to go hard early and then sit on a wheel if I have to until I recover. Of course, being a faster swimmer and faster cyclist probably wouldn't hurt either.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 5 kms
  •  min/km
Post race
Warm down:

Watched athletes finish and then did a quick swim with Trevor, Breanne and Dave before riding back to the residence.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swimming and cycling (and probably running; didn't get to find out). This is my second elite race and it has again pointed to my weaknesses for this format. On the plus side, I felt good in the water and on the bike, I'm just not fast enough with a short course to stay clear of the pack. Next year, I will get to the run and hopefully podium in the CF race.

Event comments:

Race was good; I guess I should have gone with the OD but I need experience in the draft legal format; this is it for elite racing for the year, but I will probably have two races again next year so I know what I need to do in order to have better performance at both of those races.

Last updated: 2008-06-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:36 | 750 meters | 01m 41s / 100meters
Age Group: 15/19
Overall: 54/60
Performance: Good
Suit: Trisuit
Course: Clockwise triangle; single loop.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 24C / 75F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:25:17 | 14.4 kms | 34.17 km/hr
Age Group: 0/19
Overall: 0/60
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some
Course: 4x2.5km laps; some technical turns.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90+
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal