Dallas Athletes
90??F / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 24m 32s
Overall Rank = 86/283
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 10/20
Pre-race routine:

The day before was my birthday, but I was a good boy and only had one beer before I went to bed. Did a mini tri at the gym on saturday morning (bike to gym, swim 500m, run 3 miles, then bike home (3 mi). Spent my bday at the horse races standing and yelling most of the day, but found time to eat some popcorn, pasta, potatoes, and any other carbs I could find. Got to bed around 11 pm.

Race Day - up at 4:20 am to pack up my stuff and pick up my buddy on the way. Ate three Wheat Ego waffles with almond butter smeared on top and topped it off with a glass of coffee. Thirty minutes before the swim I ate a banana.
Event warmup:

Rode my bike from the car to the transition area (0.1 mile) and then swam 100 - 150 meters in the lake to get acclimated to the water. That's it.
Swim
  • 25m 30s
  • 1609 meters
  • 01m 35s / 100 meters
Comments:

The end of the swim was a bit confusing. Once you made the final turn, a lot of people swam straight towards the beach, but there were some pink buoys as you approached the shore and a kayak seemed to be funneling swimmers to make another turn to the right (90 degree angle) along the buoy line, then a left (90 degree angle) to head towards the shore. I think most swimmers (like myself) followed this path, but others just swam a straight line over the pink buoy line and onto the shore. I think I could've shaved a bit more time off if I had gone straight.

What would you do differently?:

Train more so I could swim harder and try to get in a wave that had different cap colors. I think I surprised myself with my swim time and further proved that I don't train hard enough when I swim, so now I need to step it up.
Transition 1
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

Still need to work on my transitions; I took some time here to grab a drink of water and didn't really rush to get my shoes on. The run from the beach to the transition area was pretty long and as I mentioned above, my legs weren't there yet, so I didn't run at a great pace.

My buddy that I picked up that morning and also swim with from time to time is generally a significantly faster swimmer than I am during our shared workouts. So I was hoping to see him in the transition area as I ran up; imagine my surprise when I got to my bike and didn't see him, but still saw his bike. At first I was thrilled, then I worried that something had gone wrong during the swim (turns out he was fine, just didn't have a great swim).

Run faster to the transition area and not waste time grabbing a nice leisurely drink, but my legs were feeling tight, so I thought it was the right thing to do.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 19s
  • 23 miles
  • 20.20 mile/hr
Comments:

A couple weeks before the race I went on a ride with my buddy in Austin and he shared his riding philosophy with me - sit in the saddle and take the hills a little easy and make sure you spin the entire time rather than hammering it out and expending too much energy for the run. I headed his advice because I suffered through some cramping in my second race (Lonestar Quarter in March) during the run and I didn't want to repeat this. I also don't think I pushed it as hard as I could on the bike because my hamstrings were a bit tight at the beginning of the ride and I didn't want to suffer on the run.

Found a couple of riding buddies early on; I would pass one of them on the downhills and he passed me on the uphill and the other I would pass on the flat sections and he would pass me on the uphill. We shared some friendly conversation at times and then one of them dropped off and we didn't see him again. Eventually passed my other road buddy, but he caught me again as we entered the park. During the last 5-10 miles of the ride there was a nice little drizzle that kept me cool. Didn't experience any issues with water on the road.

I think I could've pushed it a little harder and possible consumed more fluids during the ride, but my goal after my first race was to average 20 mph by the end of the season and I achieved that goal for this race, so I'm hoping to improve by the time TexasMan roles around in September. I was able to get aero more often than I have in past rides, which probably helps, but I still get numbness in the man region, so i need to check out my bike fit and position to get things right.
Transition 2
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

Still tie my shoes, so I need to look into something to help get my shoes on faster. I didn't wear socks this time (not part of my strategy, I simply left them in the car that morning) and that seemed to help transition time. I had a gu pack I was going to take with me on the run, but it got lodged under the bike rack and when I went to grab it, it busted all over the cement. That slowed me down a bit, but no more than a 5-10s.

Get a better way to put shoes on, have gu in my tri shirt or on my belt and I will bring socks.
Run
  • 46m 13s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't cramp!! This was a big victory for me bc it really slowed me down at Lonestar. I probably could've used a gu halfway through the run, but I drank the accelerade they were offering. I didn't like the ice in the beverages, it made it slightly difficult to drink. I didn't wear socks and I think this slowed me down a bit. With about 1.5-2 miles left, i started to feel some hot spots, but i fought through it; fortunately, they didn't turn out to be anything major. The beginning of the run felt like a real struggle (really need to begin incorporating some bricks) so I took it easy. I got passed up early on by some solid runners and instead of trying to pace with them, I just took it easy during the beginning. After the turn around the legs were warmed up and ready to move a bit, so I turned up the speed. Started to feel my energy stores depleted and really wished I hadn't smashed that gu pack in transition. After the turnaround I saw my buddy, got a high five and he told me to go get it, so I did. Closer to the finish line I saw my bike buddy and he yelled "good run 620" - thanks friend. As I got closer and knew the end was in sight I picked up the pace. Averaged a HR of 162 for the beginning of the race and got it up around 173 by the end.

Wear socks or do more training without them (but the spray on the course and difficulty drinking the beverages full of ice contributed to the wetness of my shoes and therefore the hot spots). I would bring some gu with me and definitely need to do more brick training.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited for my buddy to finish, drank some water and ate some pretzels. Then ate some snacks on my way home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

All the things I mentioned in the 'What would you do differently' sections above.

Event comments:

I had a good time, it wasn't anything special, but it seemed organized and safe. Would've liked some better aid stations and post-race food. Also, getting nice some nice treats in the race packet is always a plus. It was exactly what I expected and I had a great time. Look forward to the group's next race in September and hope to meet some more BTers at the next event.

Last updated: 2008-07-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:30 | 1609 meters | 01m 35s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/20
Overall: 0/283
Performance: Average
I was expecting to finish the swim in about 28 min, so when I got out of the water and saw 25 on my watch, I was thrilled. Then I looked at my HR and it was around 172, so I must have been pushing it more than I thought. Legs were a little slow to catch up with the rest of my body and oddly enough my hamstrings felt a little tight and sore.
Suit:
Course: Nice little swim with a beach start. My wave wore yellow swim caps and our turn markers were yellow, so this presented a slight challenge when sighting. My goal was to swim the first 3/4 at a moderate pace and then swim hard when I made the final turn. Beginning was a bit congested but it thinned out and I started passing some folks.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:24
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:08:19 | 23 miles | 20.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/20
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Nice little ride with some rolling hills; only had to shift to the small chain ring once, but I probably could've powered through it in the big ring. Some of the roads were a little rougher than I'm accustomed to and there were some spotty areas with pot holes and nice patch jobs, but overall, better than I expected.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:07
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:46:13 | 06.2 miles | 07m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/20
Performance: Average
Course: Partially shaded, out and back along paved trails and/or road with a nice little grass finish. The way out of the park was a bit uphill, but nothing serious and this made for a pretty nice return to the finish line.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-07-16 1:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Lewisville
Subject: Disco Triathlon

2008-07-16 9:57 PM
in reply to: #1534290

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: RE: Disco Triathlon
Great job out there! My husband and I did the sprint and I really like the Dallas Athletes events. Sure was nice to have some cloud cover and not be blazing hot.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Disco Triathlon Rss Feed