General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for swim coach in downtown Manhattan - happy to pay good $$$ Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-16 11:20 PM

New user

Subject: Looking for swim coach in downtown Manhattan - happy to pay good $$$

I've been searching for a good swimming instructor to help me improve my pathetic swimming. I'm more of a breast stroke than a front crawl kind of guy at the moment and that clearly isn't going to get me through a full Olympic distance triathlon.

If you know someone suitable (including yourself) please post a link or email address and I'll get in touch with you.

Thanks,

Erik 

2008-07-17 3:06 PM
in reply to: #1535766

User image

N Y C
Subject: RE: Looking for swim coach in downtown Manhattan - happy to pay good $$$
I signed up for a group swim class thru Jack Rabbit (on 14th street) - they hold classes on the lower east side. I consider $250 for a 10 week class (meets 1x/wk) very reasonable. I did the weekly class and swam once on my own to practice what I learned.
Start with the beginner class - they concentrate on proper form, breathing etc...
John Stewart was the coach. He made a swimmer out of me!

www.jackrbt.com (I am not in any way affiliated with Jack Rabbit, just a happy customer.)
2008-07-17 3:21 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Looking for swim coach in downtown Manhattan - happy to pay good $$$
John Stewart was who I was going to recommend also. I’ve never taken one of his classes, but he comes highly recommended by people I know. I’m sure he had private coaching and would be happy to charge you big bucks, but I think you’d probably do fine with group lessons which would be less money. You can also contact SBR (sbrshop.com) or Cadence (cadencecycles.com), two tri stores that offer in-house coaching where you swim in an endless pool. Both have video stroke analysis, etc. Might be a little more than you need at this point, but I’m sure it’s great.
2008-07-17 3:34 PM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY

I did private coaching with John Stewart and can't recommend him enough. He's the second coach I've been to and it was very worthwhile. His hourly price is very reasonable. I had to meet him in Park Slope for the private session. He has a race techniques class starting up next week as well, and it's only around $130. But the private was quite good.

The coach at SBR is a TI instructor, but he's $140/hour and it's in an endless pool. I'm not sure what Cadence offers.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for swim coach in downtown Manhattan - happy to pay good $$$ Rss Feed