General Discussion Race Reports! » Granger Daze 5K Run (Virtual 5K for Christine) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Granger Daze 5K Run (Virtual 5K for Christine) - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Granger, Iowa
United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 27m 13s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40+
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up, drank OJ, took a shower. Waited for my high school buddy Kent to pick me up and drive us to the race site... and of course, wrote Christine's initials on my left hand.
Event warmup:

Kent and I caught up on our lives since we last ran together in the Capital Pursuit 5K in 2006, and talked trash about the other runners that were going to kick our asses. Field was small - Kent registered the day of race and had bib # 66 - but I doubt that there were that many people in the race, including walkers. Tried really hard not to ogle the teenage girls who were racing but not wearing a lot :-p Although there were a couple of age appropo hotties that the *very married* Kent pointed out.
Run
  • 27m 13s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

Right before the race started - and because this was a small town, most of the racers seemed to know each other - a guy about our age (mid 40s) named Frankie, in a white tshirt, white and green plaid Bermudas and work boots was joking with the kids and other runners that "I'm going to lead this race at first" and by God, when the start horn went off, he held off the rest of the field for about 200 yards!

We tried to not go out too fast... Kent hates it when people jackrabbit out of the starts, and this was such a small field there was no reason to, but when the girl set off the air horn, BAM! They were off at a 6:30 pace according to the Garmin. We throttled it back, and passed a few of the teenagers about .70 miles into the race.

Oh, we passed Frankie right at the half-mile mark. He was already walking... I pointed at the Garmin and said "Hey Frankie, you'd do better with technology!" and he laughed.

Everyone was quite friendly, and during one of the turnarounds early in the course, we came back and one of the aforementioned "age-appropo hotties" checked me out REALLY SERIOUSLY according to Kent. ;)

I really kept the run tempo under control in this run. Yes, I wanted to run better than last week, but I did not want to bonk or burn up in the process. I'm still struggling compared to how I was racing last year at this time - the run conditioning simply isn't there - but I can feel the run conditioning coming back. I need to be patient, be consistent, and my run times will start to drop back down. There is no secret but hard work!

I did drop about 5 people in the course of the race, but wasn't able to hold off a girl in the last mile that I'd passed halfway through. By the time there was a 1/2 mile left, I'd lost sight of Kent in the turns on the course. But running with the Garmin is so helpful, it really is a great tool in keeping my pace up and running a smarter race when you don't know the course.
What would you do differently?:

Absolutely nothing, beyond not slacking off of my run training this year. I suppose I could've worked harder to not let Kent kick my ass LOL I ran a few seconds faster than last week, and the temp was a little higher but the humidity was a lot worse, so I'm happy with the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood around and watched the even slower than me runners finish. Frankie came right in at 34:59, ripping his shirt off and he got lots of applause.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of run mileage and motivation since last December.

Event comments:

I'm still annoyed that my 5K times are running about 1 1/2 minutes behind what they should be, but... its all my fault for not running enough. The good news is is that I'm getting better, and this was a nice training race to get me in a frame to run a good race at Cowtown later this year and to start training for Napa.

FINAL NOTE: I wrote my RR like I usually do... not out of disrespect for Christine, but because I think she would want us to write our RRs like we usually do, because she liked reading RRs and commenting on them herself. I kept thinking how nice and green things were, the clowning around by Frankie... the very intimate nature of a small race, much like BT, this was... and how she would have liked that.

Last updated: 2008-06-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:27:13 | 03.11 miles | 08m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
I don't know, but Kent and I shot the bull until, despite his beer belly, the years of running and the two marathons he's finished kicked in, and he pulled away from me in the last mile...
Course: Loops around big old downtown Granger, IA. Yes, you can see the watertowers, a huge new subdivision in what used to be a corn field, and you can see the corn fields wherever you look. Basically flat with a small rise here and there.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-19 11:52 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

(DSC01518a.jpg)

(DSC01523.jpg)

(DSC01520.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
DSC01518a.jpg (19KB - 22 downloads)
DSC01523.jpg (73KB - 22 downloads)
DSC01520.jpg (58KB - 27 downloads)

2008-07-19 12:38 PM
in reply to: #1542006

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: Granger Daze 5K Run (Virtual 5K for Christine)
Hey, you had a "real" race to report!  Way to use technology and hold off Frankie....
2008-07-19 1:38 PM

Expert
I'm a Tennessee girl living in SoCal.
Nice RR.
2008-07-19 3:56 PM

Master
Clifton, NJ
good job there, spokes!
2008-07-20 5:33 AM

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire

FINAL NOTE: I wrote my RR like I usually do... not out of disrespect for Christine, but because I think she would want us to write our RRs like we usually do, because she liked reading RRs and commenting on them herself. I kept thinking how nice and green things were, the clowning around by Frankie... the very intimate nature of a small race, much like BT, this was... and how she would have liked that.

Nice touch. I like reading all the different ways people are remembering her. This works as perfectly as the quiet remembrance reports do.

2008-07-21 6:58 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

I was beginning to think that this was some kind of Dear Playboy article instead of an RR.

Isn't that what this is all about, having fun and doing your best?  It took awhile for me to figure that out.

Nice job, Spokesy.

2008-07-21 2:59 PM

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Great job! Sounds like a fun time in Iowa! Running with old friends is the best!
2008-07-21 3:12 PM

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Great job out there Scott. You should really cut yourself a bit of slack. Doing really well in the 5k requires a lot of very specific training. (Unless your a Couch to Podium Runner)

Speaking of Harcore Runners, your friend would appear to be the genuine article. Does not get any more hardcore then that!!! (Reference his T-Shirt)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Granger Daze 5K Run (Virtual 5K for Christine) Rss Feed