Canada
Vancouver Open Water Swim Association
Sunny
Total Time = 51m 14s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

Rode my bike the 8km to sign up. Signed up and grabbed a latte and a rasberry scone from starbucks and read the paper til it was closer to race time.
Event warmup:

Put the wetsuit on and did a few stretches.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 3000 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

So my goal was just to finish since I haven't been feeling 100 percent lately. Before that my goal was to finish in under 1 hour.

For the first 500m I felt like my wetsuit was choking me and I was having a hard time breathing. It felt aweful and I was worried about how I was going to survive the rest. but this usually happens to me so I have learned to just wait it out. Gave the neck of my wetsuit a tug rounding the first boey and found my rythm.

Our race split into two groups. those who are animals and swim really fast and the rest of us. I was at the front of the second group with a few others around me. I found my groove about 800m is doing a lot of pull. A woman passed me on the last section of the first lap and we exited and entered the water together. I heard my name called on the speaker... that was cool! Had a few more "oh man that's a long lap" thoughts as I tried catching my breath from running on the beach (its a challenge catching your breath while swimming!) So I focused on staying next to the other woman. Kept her in sight under water and just kept going to to the first boey. Kicked and sprinted past her rounding the boey and liked that idea so for the rest of the race I would kick and swim hard the last 100m to the boey and then pull to recover after each one building til I got to the next one. As I got tired I stopped swimming in a straight line and getting to the last boey took forever!!! Sprinted from teh boey to shore. In the meantime the tide had gone out a long way and on the first lap when my hand touched the ground i was pretty close to the water line. This time I came up way to soon and still had 10m of waist high water to get to get to the beach. Heard my name called on the PA and crossed the line!
What would you do differently?:

Swim closer to shore on the last lap. I probably lost a good 10-15 seconds there! Push harder on the last lap. I guess I should swim at least 500m to warm up so I don't get the panic attack on the first 500m. Learn to kick.
Post race
Warm down:

cookies, grapes and plums... YUM!

my shoulder are gonna be sore.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I kind of stopped training for this race a month ago and have only been swimming about 2000m once a week. Really only made the decision to do it a few days ago.
I have an amazing efficient pull that I can do forever and ever. however as soon as I start kicking I get tired and run out of air. so I need to work on my kicking so that it can help instead of hurt my races.

Last updated: 2008-07-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 3000 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
first lap 25:19 second lap 25:59
Suit: orca wetsuit
Course: Go clockwise around 4 boeys and then left around the last one and back to shore where you run up the beach and then back out to do it again.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-07-20 4:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vancouver, British Columbia
Subject: Kitsalano Challenge

2008-07-20 5:03 PM
in reply to: #1543578

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-07-22 7:08 PM

Montana
Subject: RE: Kitsalano Challenge
Way to go Jeni! Looks like you should reclassify yourself into the "animal" group!
2008-07-22 9:58 PM

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: RE: Kitsalano Challenge
Awesome job Jeni!! Wow, for not swimming much that past month, you really came out and played hard!! You must have some natural fish in you!
2008-07-23 5:55 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kitsalano Challenge Rss Feed