Clark Lake Lions
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 31m 28s
Overall Rank = 124/437
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 8/24
Pre-race routine:

Drove up to race, waited in a huge line for packet pickup. Hit the bathroom, got my timing chip and setup transition.
Event warmup:

Took the bike out for quick spin just to make sure everything was in working order. Went for a short run and tossed in some running drills. Walked down to the water and hopped in for a little bit just to get acclimated to the temperature.
Swim
  • 17m 56s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

Before the start, I noticed that my wave was a bit bigger than what I am used to, so I was prepared for a little more contact than normal. The first 100 meters didn't disappoint, there was tons of contact.

Things started to spread out and I felt someone was brushing my feet. No big deal, I am used to people drafting off me (I must be easy to see in the water). Next thing I know, someone is literally grabbing my ankles. I have to admit, this totally freaked me out. I was not about to be drowned so I kicked VERY hard and in the scuffle my timing chip was ripped off. The water fairies must have been looking out for me because I managed to catch it in my toes and get it into my hand.

The water was deep here, and I was still in traffic, so I had no confidence that I could get it securely back on my ankle. As such, I swam the next 300 meters as a partial fist drill holding onto my chip. Definitely, not the most efficient way to go fast. Made the turnaround buoy, and knew I was loosing time, so I shoved the chip down my shorts--not really comfortable but at least I could go back to a normal stroke.

The rest of the swim was pretty uneventful, although instead of trying to find draft targets I actively avoided people.
What would you do differently?:

In retrospect, should have at least tried to put the chip back on immediately. If I could have succeeded, might have gotten back into some kind of groove.
Transition 1
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

Came out of the water and dug my timing chip out of my drawers and got it back on my ankle. I can only imagine what the spectators thought of that. Kind of hoping the brightroom photographer captured the moment--would be a good one for the photo album ;-)

Got into transition, shoes, socks, and helmet on and began running with the bike. I came into transition with four other people and beat them all out.

Nothing, this was a great transition.
Bike
  • 38m 35s
  • 13 miles
  • 20.22 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew this bike would be challenging for me but I still wanted to attack it. The course starts with an uphill, I got out out the saddle to get up it quickly and put some distance between me and the people I beat out of transition.

On the whole, this bike was very uneventful. Averaged 16mph-18mph on the uphills and around 22mph-23mph on the downhills. Got passed by 4-5 people, but I think I passed just as many (always happy to break even on the bike).

Towards the end of the bike, I saw a volunteer trying to get people to slow down. I thought this very odd since I knew the transition area was still at least a 0.25mi away. It turns out, that bikers from a later wave were turning left in front of us. I've never seen a bike course that crosses itself like this--seems like a major safety issue.

Absolutely nothing. Living completely in the flat lands, this course was challenging for me and I don't think I could have done much better.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

I am getting pretty good at the flying dismount, actually picked up one spot using it, as the guy in front of me stopped to dismount. Had a little trouble getting my bike racked as the bar was not high enough my for my 61cm frame (had to lift the rack to get my seat underneath it).

Slipped on my shoes (now using--Yankz which I really like) grabbed my race belt and headed out.

Nothing, I felt this was another good transition.
Run
  • 32m 9s
  • 4 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt really good coming out of transition and settled into a nice rhythm. Got a little humbled in the first mile when the eventual women's champion went flying by--not only had she made up the eight minute difference from the wave start, she looked like she was running an open 5k, VERY impressive.

Did the first mile in 7:56. Was feeling pretty good so I picked up the pace in mile two and did that one in 7:30. Lost focus in mile-3, the humidity was starting to take its effect, and nobody was making any moves. I was complacent with just maintaining my position and ended up doing this mile in 8:46.

I was really disappointed with myself about mile-3, so I started picking up the effort. Passed another guy and came to a cheering section. Thought they were there just to enjoy the race, but it turns out they were all there to cheer on the guy that I just passed. Knew that he would be picked up by the support, so I stepped it up here and made it my mission to hold him off till the end.

If it comes down to a final sprint, I usually loose. So I started to drop the hammer with about a quarter to mile to go. Managed to not only hold off the guy behind me, but also picked off one more guy in the last quarter of mile.

Push harder, should not have been content with not being passed, should have been hunting people down. Had I made a move in mile-3, I know I could have caught some more of the guys in front of me as everybody was slowing down.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water and pretzels and went back to cheer on some other competitors. When they re-opened transition, got my bike and loaded up the car. Looked for BT'ers during lunch but since I am not sure 100% sure what anybody looks like--this proved to be difficult.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not really sure. This was not an 'A' race for me so I did not really taper. The bike course was challenging for me and the humidity was quite high.

Event comments:

In all honesty, it seemed like this race was not up to par with other Elite Endeavors races that I have done. Too long of lines at packet pickup and not enough bathrooms. I am still shocked that the bike crossed over itself. Got a feeling that the venue can't support the number of participants that were there.

Last updated: 2008-07-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:56 | 880 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/24
Overall: 205/437
Performance: Bad
Suit: Tri-Suit
Course: A really skinny loop (basically an out and back).
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:41
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:38:35 | 13 miles | 20.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/24
Overall: 143/437
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: A rolling course. There were no significant climbs but it seemed like I was always going up or down--never flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:09 | 04 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/24
Overall: 121/437
Performance: Below average
Course: Basically a loop through some residential areas. A little bit of rolling but basically flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-07-21 9:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan
Subject: Clark Lake Lions Triathlon

2008-07-26 9:19 PM
in reply to: #1545169

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: RE: Clark Lake Lions Triathlon
Great race report. How cool is it that your toes caught your chip? Saved you $30! Loved your fist and shorts solution to that issue as well. Did the Brightroom pics come in yet?
2008-07-28 8:27 AM
in reply to: #1545169

User image

Expert
WA
Subject: RE: Clark Lake Lions Triathlon

wow, i can't believe someone GRABBED your ankles in the swim, that's so terrible!!  i've read about how some competitors are so crazy they are hitting people on purpose and grabbing at their feet. 

of course, this is a rare few i'm sure, and i'm glad you recovered and found the chip with your toes!  great race craig, as usual

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Clark Lake Lions Triathlon Rss Feed