General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbus International Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Columbus International Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Columbus, Ohio
United States
Fat Rabbit Racing
Total Time = 2h 45m 21s
Overall Rank = 82/159
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 13/21
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at home at 4:30am. It was nice sleeping in my own bed the night before a race. Started the coffee maker and got into my race singlet. My SIL showed up at 5:00am to watch the kids. This is the only race this year that Alice and I are doing together. Ate a bagel with PB and drank some coffee. Loaded up the truck and we were out the door.
A short drive later we were at the race site, one of the first 100 or so cars there. Unloaded the truck and headed to the transition area. As we were unloading the race director announced that the water temp was 81.5 degrees and was not wetsuit legal if you wanted to place or be ranked. Darn. I wanted to try out my new wetsuit. Got my transition area set up and walked around for awhile.
I really was not that excited about this race. Race week I’m usually rearing to go. Even driving to the race I felt like I could take it or leave it today.

Event warmup:

Met up with Alice and headed to the water for a swim. I swam a few hundred yards out onto the quarry and turned around, did the backstroke and breaststroke back. Got out of the water and stretched out a bit.
Swim
  • 30m 34s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a TT start by bib number. I was number 124. We were released every three seconds. When it came my turn I shot into the water and immediately passed the person in front of me. I dove into the water and started swimming. Sighting was easy, the water was calm and I had a pretty good swim. A few times I ran into another athlete, or more correctly, she kept running into me. I think she was using me to keep her in a straight line because after the first 3-4 times of her running into me I moved to the far left and she followed me. A few times I tried to drop her but she kept up. We exited the water together. I was about 42 seconds faster than last year’s swim.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Ok T1. I ran past my bike a few yards, I really wasn’t paying attention. I forgot to dry my feet before putting on my socks and biked and ran with plenty of grass stuck to my feet. Other than that everything went well. I was 46 seconds faster then my T1 last year (2:26).
Note: there was close to a ¼ mile run from the water to the transition area. Last year it counted as part of your swim. This year they timed it separately, it took me 1:49 to get from the water to the transition area. When I figured the time for the swim I figured to took me 1:49 last year as well.

Nothing, I'm not ever going race without socks. I might start putting my shoes on the bike next year.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 48s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.20 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was 5 five mile loops. With the distance getting out of and into the park the bike was probably closer to 25 miles. When I was leaving transition I had to run past Alice’s spot and I saw that she was already gone (She was in the water 3 minutes before me). Something in my competitive nature took over and I decided I needed to catch her on the bike. I hammered the first three loops of the bike, I didn’t see her. I took the fourth loop easy. Going into the fifth loop I spotted our friend Judith who had come to take pictures of us and cheer us on. She was facing away from me snapping photos. I figured Alice had to be close so I decided to pick up the pace. I caught her in about 1 ½ miles. Unfortunately she was on the side of the road putting her chain back on her chain ring. Not the way I wanted to catch her. She told me later that she only lost about 15 seconds. I finished the bike and headed into T2. I finished the bike 4:24 faster than last year (1:18:12).

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

Good T2. Did everything right, I knew where to exit (not like last year when I couldn’t find the exit) racked my bike quickly, shoes on and grabbed my hat and race belt and put them on while running. It made for a much faster time than last year’s time of 2:16. I don’t know what I was doing last year, making a sandwich probably.

Nothing
Run
  • 56m 48s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn’t have any goals for this race per-se, I just wanted to have a good time. I’m more focused on my HIM coming up next month. I just ran my race, cheered for other athletes, thanked all the police officers and volunteers and even cheered for some of them. I just cruised the first half of the run. Alice saw me at one point and said she was coming for me. I told her to come, she wouldn’t catch me. On the way out I saw JCristoff coming the other way, he gave me a high 5.
When I made the turnaround I decided to pick it up a bit. I saw Alice again at a part of the course that kind of loops back on itself and told her again that she couldn’t catch me. (Is it bad to talk smack to your wife?) Coming into the last mile I saw a lady who was walking. I said come on #19 (her number) and she said OK and started running again. Then she pulled away from me. I never did catch her. Last time I cheer for a competitor, ok, not really.
I sprinted in the last 100 yards of the run and crossed the finish line in 56:48. Not a PR, but also not a bad time for me either. My run was 3:41 faster than last year.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

I got some water to drink and got back into the water to cool down. Then ate a burger and a banana. Alice thought she might place in her AG so we stuck around for the awards. She didn’t. We packed up our stuff and went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not really caring about this race. Not that in this case that is a bad thing.

Event comments:

Another great Fat Rabbit race. Thanks to Judith, Nathan and my cousin Emma who came out and cheered for me. I took 11:07 off my total time from last year (2:56:28).

Last updated: 2008-06-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:34 | 1640 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 0/159
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 2 loop triangle course
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:30
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:13:48 | 24.85 miles | 20.20 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: 5 loops, 5 miles each
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90+
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:56:48 | 06.21 miles | 09m 09s  min/mile
Course: An out and back on the bike path.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-07-21 12:51 PM

User image

Master
Ohio
Subject: Columbus International Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2008-07-21 1:18 PM
in reply to: #1545994

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: RE: Columbus International Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Great job with the overall blah attitude. I was nice meeting you and the wife at the race. See you at Buck Creek for the HIM!
2008-07-21 1:53 PM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio

Good race and good improvement everywhere!

I laughed about cheering on the lady that beat you.  It reminded me of two boys (11 and 14 that beat me in a 5K earlier in the year, I passed them 3 times becuase they would stop and walk, the final time they blocked path so I told them to move, they both beat me in the end).

If were at a race together again, I look like my pictures on BT.  I am usually AWOL from the computer the day before the race so bib numbers might never work for me.

Good job David.  Good to see you met Justin, he and I have ridden together on one accaision.

2008-07-21 3:27 PM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Great job out there yesterday!  LOL about smack talking your wife.  These things usually come back to haunt you.  
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbus International Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed