General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbus International Triathlon and Sports Festival Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Columbus International Triathlon and Sports Festival - DuathlonStandard

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Columbus, Ohio
United States
Fat Rabbit Racing
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 38s
Overall Rank = 14/81
Age Group = 43
Age Group Rank = 4/11
Pre-race routine:

Got up much earlier (4:30 AM) after the trouble on 6/15/2008. Used all the time without feeling like I wasted time or needed more.
Event warmup:

Ran for about 6 minutes and stretched.
Run
  • 15m 3s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran decent. Tried to run this a bit faster than normal since my run had improved some. My time off would cause me to tire though by the end of the race.
What would you do differently?:

Train more so I would be better off at the end of the race.
Transition 1
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

Took some extra time to drink fluids during transition.

I also had more difficulty than in the last two races getting my feet into my shoes.

It wasn't great but was at least OK.
Bike
  • 37m 23s
  • 15.53 miles
  • 24.93 mile/hr
Comments:

I pushed the bike. On the last lap a slowed a bit because of fatique and worrying about my final run. I was going 38mph down the on ramp to the highway and was rarely under 25 mph on 315.

My right calf began cramping during the ride and gave me mucho trouble on the run.

I had fun, but riding a tweak slower would have been better for my final run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Forgot how quickly the T zone would come after turning into the park and did not have time to get my feet out of my shoes. I therefore had to do the old method of stopping, unclipping and then running in my shoes.

Get me feet out in time to jump off bike while moving and run better to my rack.
Run
  • 26m 25s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

A really bad run for me in every measure. Until this race, I have always placed highest in the last run compared to the first run. I lost to people I normally beat. My time was slow. Etc etc. I started the run with a left calf camp. Had to stop a few time to stretch it out. Also ran with an odd limp to help it out. By mile 1.0 it was fine. By mile 1.5 my right quad gave the same trouble.

Overall I just went too hard up until this run. I took off 10 days of training due to sickness and miss more due to vacation, and went out stronger than I was able to hold. No big deal though.

If it was not for my quad, I could have sped up the final run once my rythm came back by mile 1.0.

Drink more (somehow?? already loitered in the T zone to drink).
Post race
Warm down:

Sweated for 45 minutes. My shoes actually got sloshy due to the sweat.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sickness at the end of June cut out a lot of training. Vacation from 7/3 to 7/14 cut out more.

Event comments:

First time ever I finished out of the top 2 but waited for the award ceremony since the results listed me 3rd. Then after an hour of waiting my name was not called for third. Posted results were wrong and I got 4th. This was my 8th event and the first to announce winners and the first time I was out of the top three - thats how things go I guess. Salt in my wound was waiting the my boys for one hour to be dissapointed after raised expectations.

Good marshalling, but they seemed to be in the way at times. One competitor spoke of being blocked by the motorcycles. I felt the same way four times. Twice, I was able to pass the motorcycle and twice they accelerated out of my way. Once stretch they repeatedly slowed and then accelerated as I gained on them. Marshals need to be on the course IMO but maybe they should get better trained drivers.

Last updated: 2008-07-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:15:03 | 02 miles | 07m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/11
Overall: 23/81
Performance: Good
Course: Fun course around a big pond and on a nice wide shaded trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:27
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
00:37:23 | 15.53 miles | 24.93 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 5/81
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Flat. Some on the highway with blocked off traffic. Smooth.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:25 | 03.11 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/11
Overall: 36/81
Performance: Bad
Course: Same as first description.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-21 12:53 PM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio
Subject: Columbus International Triathlon and Sports Festival

2008-07-21 1:08 PM
in reply to: #1545999

User image

Master
Ohio
Subject: RE: Columbus International Triathlon and Sports Festival

I don't know what to say here. Sounds like you had a tough race. Chalk up the 4th place to sickness and lowered training volumes. It happens. It sounds like you've had great races thus far, you were due for a tough one. If they were all good it wouldn't be any fun would it? Stay healthy and you'll be back in the top three next time.

David

2008-07-21 1:11 PM

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
Way to push on the bike... Nice split!

Sorry to hear about your frustrating second run. Your fitness is there and will come back to you quickly I am sure once you get back on track after the hard July.
2008-07-21 3:22 PM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Dang, you're fast! Sorry you weren't happy with your run.  You did the best you could under the circumstances. Nice job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbus International Triathlon and Sports Festival Rss Feed