General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ankle Fracture Recommendations? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-31 9:06 PM

New user

Columbus, Ohio
Subject: Ankle Fracture Recommendations?
I'm a 45YO guy who ran his first (Sprint) triathlon last summer and now have the "bug." Over the past weekend, I slipped on some ice, and when falling, caught my toe and managed to turn my right foot completely under itself. Ouch! I ended up in the ER with a dislocated and fractured ankle. They "reduced" the dislocation (meaning they popped it back in place), put me in a cast, and told me to see an orthopedic surgeon within the next week. I have an appointment this Friday with an ortho surgeon recommended by my family physician.

The worst part: I had just completed Week One of my 20-week training plan to move up from a Sprint to Olympic triathlon!

Here's my concern: the orthopedic resident who set my leg told me I will likely need surgery to put screw or pins in my ankle. However, I've been told by some folks that this surgery will most likely give me a limp and uncertain ability to recover to do tri's again. They suggested I insist on treatment which involves only immobilization.

I plan to be very clear with the doc that my goal is not just to heal the injury, but to be able to return to triathlons (understanding that I'll need some physical therapy, etc.). However, I'm trying to get as much info as possible now, so that I can ask the best questions possible.

Any suggestions or experiences with this would be greatly appreciated.

Elliot

2005-02-06 6:32 PM
in reply to: #110893

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Ankle Fracture Recommendations?
as an orthopedic surgeon with the limited info it sounds like you will need surgery. If it was dislocated and broken you probably don't have much choice. the best chance you have to have a good ankle for the rest of your life would be to have it fixed. If there was enough force to dislocate it and break something then typically all or most of the ligaments are damaged as well...so if you don't fix the bones and all the ligamnets are loose there is little chance for it to heal in a good position. See the Dr. Remember to bring your xrays from the hospital with you so he/she can see the before and after films. REPORTS DON"T CUT IT. Go to the hospital wher you were treated, and go to radiology and sign the films out. Call ahead and have them pull the films for you. All radiology departments in hospital across the country have the same cranky person working at the desk who will give you a hard time and probably make you show ID and sign with blood (just kidding about the blood) but do your dr and yourself a favor and pick up the films. Good luck -S
2005-02-06 10:52 PM
in reply to: #113561

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
yeah...what Sue said.  Here's to a speedy recovery for you.
2005-02-06 11:08 PM

New user

Columbus, Ohio
Thanks for the recommendations. I saw the surgeon on Friday (yes, I fought the radiology clerk and brought the films with me!), and I am scheduled for surgery Monday afternoon. He explained exactly what Sue said: the torn ligaments mean that the ankle is very unstable, and surgery is really the only way to get back to as normal as possible. I'm not thrilled with surgery, but I understand that it's the only real solution, so here I go!
2005-02-07 1:07 AM

User image

Good luck, I had ankle reconstructive surgery several years back.  Ligaments were totally gone and had to be repaired.  Just started training for tris, just did my first 5K

Only effect is limited mobility (very minor) and sometimes I limp slightly, but it's so slight I don't even notice it.

Chris
2005-02-08 11:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Just look at T.Owens. He had ankle surgery and just a few months later he had 115+ receiving yards in the Super Bowl. He was running too fast to notice if he had a limp or not. Get it fixed! Good luck...james

2005-02-08 2:25 PM

User image

Expert
White House, TN
Although a pain in the neck, this surgery is not the end; just a postponement.  Git 'er done, rehab, then rehab some more so you can go out and rehab and then slowly get back on track.

Ooooo...and don't forget to enjoy the anesthetic!   mmmmmm....sleeeppeeey....*drool*
2005-02-08 6:06 PM

New user

Columbus, Ohio
Thanks for all of the encouragement. I had the surgery yesterday, and all went well. The pain is manageable, thanks to better-living-through-chemistry. The doc says he'll have me running--maybe slowly, maybe just a little--by late spring or summer. Something to look forward to!
2005-02-08 10:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Broomfield, Colorado
I tore up several ligaments in my ankle July of 2003 (thought I could wakeboard like the pros :-( ). Had a screw put into my ankle in November 2003 to help the ligaments heal. I had the screw removed in February of 2004, and have no significant residual effects today, other than an ugly, wormlike small scar on the side of my right ankle. Running and stability have not been a problem, but I rehabbed it religiously. My doctor actually recommended running as a way to strengthen everything again.

Even though this will definitely slow you down, possibly for much of this tri season, don't let it get you down. Take it easy until the doc tells you to start the rehab. You won't be disappointed.

Good luck! Keep your head up, and look out for that ice!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ankle Fracture Recommendations? Rss Feed