General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Racing Flats Stability Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-29 10:19 AM

User image

Subject: Racing Flats Stability Question

Hey,

I am looking into getting some lighter running shoes for racing.  I've always used the asics kayano 11 as my trainer, and its over 13.5 oz, which seems to be pretty heavy.  I just picked up the brooks Adrenaline 8, but i think i'll be returning them and sticking with the old kayano model. 

I'm about 5'11", 155-160 pounds and have very flat feet,overpronate and have had back surgery a few years ago so sometimes there is pain there and throughout my hips.  These shoes would be worn primarily for racing and doing any speedwork; i'd keep racking up long runs in my kayanos.   I know that racing flats lack stability, which is why I am posting here.  Are there any flats that provide support? I was looking at the asiscs bandito.  If no flats will provide adequate stability, are there any other lightweight trainers (like the ds trainers) that could suffice?

Thanks!

Darrin

2008-07-29 11:14 AM
in reply to: #1566973

Expert
Subject: RE: Racing Flats Stability Question
I run with New Balance flats, but use an insole support. The flats have no support and I find my feet moving around too much, even though the shoes fit well. Using the insole (sole custom in one, and a graphite arch sorbothane in the other pair), you get plenty of support for a very small weight increase.
2008-07-29 6:35 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

There is such a thing as "Performance Trainers" that are lighter but still offer some of the same qualities as their heavier siblings.

The ASICS DS Trainer is a "Performance Stability" shoe that provides some (But not all) of the support your Kayano's do. But, they are under just under 10 oz.  Brooks also makes the Axiom which will feel very similar to the Adrenaline but is also quite a bit lighter.

Just be sure to scale back the mileage on these shoes. I was only able to get ~200 miles out of my Axioms before they went flat. (As opposed to 350 I get in my trainers)

Most manufacturers are offering up shoes in this category so look around. Take a trip to the LRS and get fitted for them. (They will usually have recommendations)

Of course, you could always run barefoot

2008-07-29 10:26 PM

User image

Regular
Spokane, WA
I got very flat feet and a similar build to yours, 5'10"/153lb. I should probably start out with saying that I use orthotics and it took awhile to get them dialed-in. There is absolutely no way I can run without my orthotics. I use Brooks Addiction for all my training. 5k-1/2 mary I use Brooks ST3. They have a bit of support and works well for race day. For 1/2-full mary I use Brooks Axiom. They have a bit more support than the ST3 and is much lighter than the Addiction. This is what works for me. Good luck finding what works for you.
2008-07-30 7:57 AM

User image

Hey thanks guys, i think i will checkout some of the performance trainers. 

CaptainQuiche, do you wear your orthotics when you race as well? 

I got a pair of orthotics  a few years ago, but have not been running in them because i find they are both too wide and too thick to fit into my running shoes to run naturally. 

2008-07-30 8:38 AM

User image

Asics Speedstars II's are an "ultra-light" trainer.  I have two pairs and sware by them.  They are almost as light as a flat (around 7.9 ounces) and have solid plastic truss running perpendicular in the middle for support, but are flexible and light like a racing flat. 

I also have three pairs of Gel-Hyperspeed II's.  They are a racing flat, but they have a decent amount of cushioning  (weigh around 6 oz) and I've worn them for 14-mile runs.  They don't have a solid plastic support on the sole, but the sole is slightly wider than normal which gives them a nice ride, coupled with decent stability.  They are a little narrow though.  The Speedstar is wider and is probably a better bet for you.

Edited by Dream Chaser 2008-07-30 8:39 AM

2008-07-30 10:33 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
I think some of the performance trainers are great for racing flats. I would be cautious about putting too many miles in on them though. I am nursing a very sore archilles tendon from too much running in my Asics DS Trainers.
2008-07-30 12:24 PM
in reply to: #1569141

User image

Regular
Spokane, WA
darbaugh - 2008-07-30 5:57 AM

Hey thanks guys, i think i will checkout some of the performance trainers. 

CaptainQuiche, do you wear your orthotics when you race as well? 

I got a pair of orthotics  a few years ago, but have not been running in them because i find they are both too wide and too thick to fit into my running shoes to run naturally. 

Yes, I always use them. It took three iterations to get them to work just right. We changed the posting twice and the thickness once. At first they were simply too bulky. Similar to what your problems seem to be. The guy that made my orthotics is a runner and has flat feet himself so he can relate to and understand my problems really well. What I am getting at is that when getting orthotics it is important that you have someone that truly understands how they should work and more importantly know how to make them work.

If I were you I would contact your local tri or runners club to find out how is good at making orthotics in your area. My first pair was made by another person and they were completely worthless. No better than getting a premade pair at you local running store.

Lastly, I have tried several different brands of shoes and I have found that Brooks tend to be a bit roomier than your average shoe and therefore easier accept the orthotic. I have no problem fitting my orthotic in the ST3 and Addiction. The Axiom is slightly narrower and is not as accommodating but it still works well. Unfortunately the Axiom does not come in Wide.

Hope this helps and good luck!

2008-07-30 12:25 PM

User image

Regular
Spokane, WA
Don't know why my reply ended up being a link...?
2008-07-31 7:58 AM

User image

Hey thanks guys, this thread was really helpful.  I think i'll get fitted for new orthotics and start searching for a pair of performance trainers.
2008-07-31 1:51 PM

User image

New user

I am in the same boat...  I'm 6 ft, 155 and looking for a light weight racing shoe with some degree of motion control and or stability. 

I am considering these 3, although I don't know how much support if any these offer, without seeing them in person.  I've also heard great things about Zoot race shoes and Newton Running shoes.  Although Newtons take a bit of getting used to from what I hear.

Brooks Race ST 3  http://www.brooksrunning.com/prod.php?p=40020&k=82707

Saucony Grid Type A2  http://saucony.com/ShoeDetails.aspx?gen=m&use=Race&id=1115&rel=1110,1115,1083,1128,1086,1093,1089,1116,1090,1144,1142

Avia Avi-Bolt  http://www.aviadirect.com/mens/2215.html

Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Racing Flats Stability Question Rss Feed