San Francisco, California
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 29m 32s
Overall Rank = 318/1088
Age Group = F
Age Group Rank = 133/680
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:45 am to get ready and drive up to the city. Agreed to meet with Lena at 6:15, but of course she wasn't exactly ready at that time, so we left the house around 6:25, stopped by drive through Starbucks, I got grande raspberry soy latte and a blueberry scone and headed out to the city. I underestimated the time that it would take us to get there, so the original plan to meet up with Erin by 7:15 went out the window. I called her up and moved it to 7:30, but we were only able to make it to the Ferry Building by 7:36, so we missed each other again. I hedged on the parking and decided to park under Safeway, right at the start of Embarcadero, so we had to run to the start to try to make it there on time. We were on time for the race, but did miss Erin. Bummer! Need to plan extra buffer next time.
Event warmup:

Ran from Embarcadero to the Start line to warm up and incidentally to make it there on time :) Perfect multi purpose run, haha. Need to plan better next time to get to the race with more slack, kind of cut too close for comfort. I was really stoked though that Lena was not only up for running almost 2K warm up before the race and was staying on my heel all the way up. She has made significant progress in the last coupe of month. When we did See Jane Run 5K she was done with warm up in about 500 meters. I think because she was nervous about spending too much energy before the race, but since she's been diligent about doing at least 1K warm up on her training runs, I think she feels more comfortable with it. Anyway, I was happy that she was a good sport about it.
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

1K - 5:49
2K - 6:12
3K - 6:28
4K - 6:14
5K - Unknown, since my ipod showed 4.8 as the distance and once I stopped after the finish line I didn't stop the workout, so it it showing my pace at 13:01, but I know that's not correct.
Started out nice and strong, first K felt really good. At about 1.5K I started to really feel how heavy and fatigued my legs actually were, so struggled through 2nd and 3rd km, pretty much until the turn around at the ballpark. After the turn around felt much better and picked the pace up a bit through 4th km and into the 5th one. As soon as I turned the corner and saw the finish line I cranked it out and finished the last 200 meters with a sprint.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really. Yes, I was fatigued after 2 tough cycling days, but I figure that since I am doing triathlons the fact that I am fatigued simulates how my legs would feel in a tri, so I just need to keep working on my running and as I get stronger my speed will improve in triathlon events as well
Post race
Warm down:

Walked about 100 meters away from the Finish line, saw Lena finish. She did great! Finished only 1 min behind me. Took a picture of her looking like she is gonna pass out :)
We then walked to the embankment, grabbed all the free food they were giving away, stretched calves and quads and hamstrings. Then walked around the booths that they had there, got our free Dermatologica eval and a freebie bag, which was nice.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-07-31 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 03.1 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 133/680
Overall: 680/1088
Performance: Average
Course: Started on Embarcadero and Mission going in the direction of Pier 39, turned around about 500 meters from the start, ran down to the ballpark, turned around and came back to pretty much the same spot as the start line. Flat all the way, city street roads, very little headwind on the way to the ballpark, otherwise, very pleasant, easy course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-03 11:34 PM

User image

Subject: San Francisco Marathon 5k

2008-08-04 12:36 AM
in reply to: #1579305

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Subject: RE: San Francisco Marathon 5k
Well, at least you got a great warmup out of your tardiness!

Nice job with this race coming off of two tough days of biking. From what you described, it sounds like you mimicked a tri situation pretty well -- feeling OK at first, then a little heavy, then hitting your groove. A great training run!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » San Francisco Marathon 5k Rss Feed