Fairview, Oregon
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 28m 23s
Overall Rank = 105/205
Age Group = F 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/12
Pre-race routine:

The night before the race I went wine tasting all day/night at a bachelorette party. 10 glasses of wine does not a good morning make. Especially for someone who doesn't drink. I had a rough time getting motivated, and had I not had a friend's race packet to bring with me, I likely would have skipped the whole event all together. Of course, I'm very glad now that I got my butt out of bed and raced.
Event warmup:

Mulled around trying to hydrate.
Swim
  • 15m 34s
  • 800 meters
  • 01m 57s / 100 meters
Comments:

Since this is a smaller venue, I have observed that many of the people racing are newer to triathlon and perhaps a bit more timid. So I started at the front on the inside, which would normal get me clobbered, but worked out nicely today. I had mostly clear water until we started catching up to the previous wave.

I focused on taking nice long strokes and pulling/pushing hard. Smooth & long & steady. At one point I got tangled up with a big guy. Not big as in fat. Big as in "I wonder which position he played for the 49ers" big. Not that kind of guy you want to tango with in the water. After a small struggle we parted ways. I swam until my hands touched sand and then bolted up and out.
What would you do differently?:

Nuttin. This is my fastest tri pace to date and a decent improvement over the same course back in June.
Transition 1
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

The run from the water to transition is a little long. I heard some people joking that this was a swim-run-bike-run event. My wetsuit came off easily and I was out of there in no time.

This was the first time I left my shoes clipped to my bike and put my feet in while riding. That worked out nicely.

Maybe run faster through transition.
Bike
  • 38m 1s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 19.73 mile/hr
Comments:

I got up to speed and put my feet in pretty quickly. Then I focused on keeping my cadence up and not dropping speed. This was tough when the headwinds hit, but I kept telling myself I couldn't go below 18mph. A dropped below a few times, but made up for it when the wind was blocked by homes/trees.

Not a single girl passed me on the course, and only a handful of guys sped by. It was fun to be passing people. It made me feel fast, although after looking at overall results I maybe wasn't as fast as it seemed. It was fun though!

Do more sustained speed work in training. And ride more. I did a lot of riding earlier in the season, but I have only been on my bike twice since the half ironman. I just needed a break from the saddle, ya know? I was 7 seconds slower than the last time I rode this course, although I do think it was windier this time.
Transition 2
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

I took my feet out of my shoes as I came up to the dismount line. I went through my transition fast, although I did take some time to down some water. Then I stopped again at the aid station on the way out.

Not take so much time drinking.
Run
  • 30m 24s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I dropped down the most spots during the run, but it's the leg I'm the most proud of.
1) This was a 5k PR for me
2) For the first time ever I kept a sustained pace below 10:00 min/mi
3) I actually passed someone and was only passed by 2 women (1 was my coach and another was someone in my AG who got me 0.1mi from the finish line).

I am so proud of this run, but have so much room for improvement. I have my work cut out for me this winter!
Post race
Warm down:

Cheered on friends still coming in, walked around, tried not to puke.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My own mind. I had a poor attitude coming into this race, but am happy that I was able to turn it around and enjoy myself.

Event comments:

Fun race as always! Fast and beginner friendly course.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-07-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:34 | 800 meters | 01m 57s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/12
Overall: 76/205
Performance: Good
Suit: Full sleeve ProMotion
Course: Semi-circle in Blue Lake.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:28
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:01 | 12.5 miles | 19.73 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/12
Overall: 93/205
Wind: Some
Course: Out-and-back on Marine Drive next to the Columbia River. This always has the potential to be windy and you never know if you'll have cross-winds or head-winds...both ways.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:56
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:24 | 03.1 miles | 09m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/12
Overall: 170/205
Course: Out-and-back on a trail paralleling Marine Drive. A couple of very slight inclines.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-08-04 8:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW
Subject: Mid-Summer Triathlon

2008-08-05 2:42 PM
in reply to: #1581549

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Subject: RE: Mid-Summer Triathlon

Did you try not to puke from racing or from the wine hangover!!!!

Great job at the race!!!  You need to go do a stand alone 5K and break the 9 minute mile barrier!!!!  I think you totally have it in you!!!!  Congratulations!!!

2008-08-05 7:12 PM
in reply to: #1581549

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Mid-Summer Triathlon
Nice race!!  Especially after a night with wine.  Yikes!  Way to stick with it and rock the run!  Great job.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mid-Summer Triathlon Rss Feed