United States
78F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 21m 7s
Overall Rank = 16/53
Age Group = M4049
Age Group Rank = 6/15
Pre-race routine:

After a busy day of snacking, hydrating and obsessing (who has time for actual work?), drive down to the beach and get ready. I need some kind of strategy for setting up transitions. I get some stuff, carry it over, then go back to the car, get more. Go back again for my numbers, etc. I could plan this out better!
Event warmup:

I get inked, do a bike lap, open my legs up with a quick jog. I get the wetsuit on around pre-race instructions. Go for a quick swim, then position myself for the start
Swim
  • 12m 15s
  • 800 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Great swim today. I quickly got clear water and was able to maneuver. I yielded the inside path to a woman who was obviously quicker than me. On lap 2, I caught the slower relay swimmers. HR was great, just simply comfortable in the open water since I've done so much of that this season.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I'd take a swim like this every day.
Transition 1
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

I try not to do the panic drill. I've almost lost a sense of urgency here. I know I'm on the clock, but still, I mentally double check, don't have a routine, will grab in random order.

Gotta get a plan here. Free speed and I'm throwing it away.
Bike
  • 38m 42s
  • 12.2 miles
  • 18.91 mile/hr
Comments:

I guess OK; I'm dissatsified here. I should be able to hold 20 or better. I was a bit timid in the turns, especially one sweeper into a downhill. Seemed like you really needed room and I kind of braked a bit to be sure of myself. I did make up TONS of time on the downhill with a headwind which confounded most riders. The stretch at the southern end did me no favors.

Not sure other than go faster. Maybe an aerodrink bottle so I don't have to schedule hydration.
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

I had about the worst possible transition location. Buried in a center rack. I had to maneuver around 12 other racers. I think I was about 6th or 7th into T2, but that's not going to hold.....

Register as soon as it opens to get on rack 1.
Run
  • 27m 39s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

I had my rabbit in sight, but never could reach him. He knew I was there and exited T2 just before I did. At that point, it was a wish to reach him, but knew I'd have to put myself in the grave to do it. My prize (CNIdog) was well gone as he was my rabbit on the bike.

My run training has suffered most this season with all the health setbacks. Seems I just get a good run in and another illness sets me back again. But, on the bright side, I'm racing and having fun so all's well.
Post race
Warm down:

Clean up transition and get some food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training time. Let's see: major surgery, Lyme disease, a week of vertigo where I couldn't leave the couch and getting hit by a car 2 days ago all add up as detrimental to performance.

Event comments:

I guess I'm being tough on myself. 2007 was such a good year for me it's hard (even though you know why) to see performance slide backwards.

Full results at http://www.plattsys.com/results/res2008/pfizer08.htm

Last updated: 2008-08-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:15 | 800 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/15
Overall: 10/53
Performance: Good
Suit: T1 Desoto
Course: Simple rectangle using the permanent swim area as perimeter keeping the rope on your left. 2 laps to the course. Easy to follow, distance was good. I liked it.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:39
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:38:42 | 12.2 miles | 18.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/15
Overall: 12/53
Performance: Average
160-170bpm. Crusing pretty hard. I think my HRM is whacked; I wasn't at redline, but was certainly anaerobic. It felt to me like 150bpm, not 170.
Wind: Some
Course: Lap course of 2 miles per. We did 6 laps. All left turns which were well marshalled. One small hill and some small rolers on the back road.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:27:39 | 03.2 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/15
Overall: 35/53
Performance: Below average
Course: Kind of a convoluted stitched together couple of roads. No long stretches. One good, short steep hill at mile 0.5 to sting you into reality. But you get that back coming home.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-08 9:14 AM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Subject: Pfizer Corporate Sprint Triathlon

2008-08-08 3:57 PM
in reply to: #1589635

User image

Expert
Oak Ridge,
Subject: RE: Pfizer Corporate Sprint Triathlon
Nice race Dave!  Given the year/week you it's a great effort.  Our transition position sure was horrible.  I'm with you that next year I register day it opens and get a spot right up front.  Good luck with your Oly this weekend.
2008-08-08 4:35 PM
in reply to: #1589635

User image

Elite
Was this Groton or New London side? Great race especially given the crash. Are there many people at Pfizer that race or is this more of a lets prove to myself I can do this?

Edited by aarondavidson 2008-08-08 4:36 PM
2008-08-09 6:52 AM
in reply to: #1591179

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
56 individual, 36 teams. Some of us are regular triathletes, for some, this is the only eveny they do each year. Relays bring a lot of participation into the fold b/c the intimidation factor of all3 is out of play.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pfizer Corporate Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed