United States
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 48s
Overall Rank = 147/588
Age Group = First Timers
Age Group Rank = 1/41
Pre-race routine:

I started with poor sleep last two nights and not great diet. The night before I drove to pick up my packet and stayed for "1st timer" clinic. Got home late and still had to get gear ready. In bed by 12am and up at 4am. Woke up, ate Cliff Bar and had gatorade. Hit restroom as to avoid lines later on and then out the door by 5am.

Got there around 6am and unpacked gear, set up transition, got timing chip and body marked. Still time to kill, but just chilled. Finally walked to beach at 6:50 for race start and anthem. Then the porta-potty gods called and I made a run for it. Glad I did!
Event warmup:

Back to beach and saw first wave start and met a friend who came to whatch. That helped calm nerves, but anxiety was on level 10. I started in 5th and final wave with Clydes, MB's and 1st timers. Got in the water between waves and did short swim and then stretched on the beach. Anything to relax at that point. Wave started at 7:20am.
Swim
  • 09m 46s
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started in the front, well positioned and ready for the horn to sound as we crowded the beach. I don't know if it was my nerves or cap over my ears or what, but I never heard the countdown or start. next thing I know it is mad dash to first buoy about 50 yards out. After maybe 10 seconds I was already off-line. Had to sight way to much in start, got caught in pack and had to go verticle a few times to round buoy. I told myself to calm down, get a nice stroke and breath. What seemed like minutes later, I finally settled in but was getting passed. Sighting was an issue as I had to break my stroke often and the sun was coming up blinding me every time I breathed on right side.

By the time I was headed towards the beach, it felt like an eternity had passed and as I got out of the water I did not look back, fearing how many people were NOT behind me... After looking at the times later on, I felt a little better, but still frustrated I could have done so much more. I only really used upper body with minimal kick. Perhaps ok for longer distance, but good kick could have saved me at least a minute here. Although, this is how I practice in preparation for 1/2 ironman come November so can't say I should have expected better.
What would you do differently?:

Practice bi-lateral breathing (would have helped with sun), use kick more, practice sighting... Distance not an issue, speed real deamon.
Transition 1
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

WOW... I took a slow jog out of the water and my legs felt great (thy should have after no use!). Breathing was not labored and good job getting to my transition area. Took goggles and cap off on the way over to my bike. Helmet on, sunglasses on and grabbed the bike and started running towards mounting area. Certainly no expert of flying mount, but tried it anyway! I admit slowing down a bit to ensure my landing:) Shoes were already on bike so started pedaling right away. Got feet into the shoes well and was off knowing that I had ALOT of ground to make up.

I was a bit unstable when putting feet into shoes, but it was fortunatly not crowded and non-issue. Should practice jumping on the bike more and getting in aero sooner. Otherise was fastest transition in my division and good reason I was semi-competitive.
Bike
  • 37m 23s
  • 13 miles
  • 20.86 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew I had to get going and average 21-22mph to at least end with decent swim/bike split, while leaving a little in the tank for the run. Averaged about 21 on the first loop and passed a lot of folks along the way. Not that I was super fast, just started swim in last wave and there were the BOP's all throughout the course. Nice confidence booster anyway. After first lap done, thought I would go at it for 2nd loop and back off last .5 mile or so to get ready for T2. However wind was still mental factor so I was doing 20.5 at that point. Made final turnaround and with 3.5 to go picked it up to 22mph. Felt like I redeamed my bad swim and made up some ground but would need solid run. Overall, I raced faster than any of my training rides and thought could have averaged maybe another .5-1mph more if had to do over.

Not much really. I have a long way to go before I am @ the 24-26mph pace the leaders race at and I was about 7 minutes behind top bike times. I drank 1/2 a bottle of gatorade and that seemed adequate as peak sun was still not out (yet)... All that said, 1st on bike in my division so happy with that result in 1st tri.
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

Had good dismount off the bike and felt good running with bike. I had good idea which row to head for as there was a trailor parked to the side as my landmark and it was short distance from dismount area, maybe 6-7 rows. I did manage to go down a row to soon and had to reverse and find my area. Bike on rack, helmet off, put running shoes on, grabbed sun glasses, visor and race belt and I was off. long(er) run to end of transition, but used time to put on gear and get situated.

Get speedlaces. I had forgotted to pick these up so night before I pre-tied my shoes and went with fit I could easily slip into without lacing. Worked OK, but looser fit than what I would have liked. Otherwise, 4-5 fastest time in division for T2 and was pretty pleased.
Run
  • 25m 20s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Out of T2 and man my legs were heavy and breathing labored. I have done a few bricks, but not at race pace which may have helped. I had to start slower than I wanted to get HR down and settle in. After .5 miles a kid no older than 9 or 10 passed me, very humbling. There were people along the side of the course stopping and working out cramps, I envied them at one point but knew I had to get going or else time would be horrific. Decided that I would keep good pace till turnaround point then start picking it up. At the turn, there was a great volunteer spraying folks with hose... That felt fantastic! Another .5 miles at good pace and then with mile left really started to pick it up. I was going to regret it later if I left anything in the tank after finishing. So I saw the last turn coming up and decided to ask my legs to find 5th gear. Started to pass a lot of folks and it felt good. Made the turn to finish line thinking ok another 100 yards and home free! Well, that 100 yards turned into 500 easy. By this point I felt potential embarrasment of being passed by runner(s) I just blew by due to my miscalculation. So I just sprinted fast as I could and was suprised I could hold the pace for as long as I did. My first mile had to be 9+ minutes so felt good in saving otherwise slower than expected time at the end.

Practice bricks and get HR and legs used to the initial, "shock & awe" of the run. Need to also practice drinking from a cup handed out at water stations as I guess I maybe got 25% in my mouth and the rest down my race #. Felt good though:)
Post race
Warm down:

Kidding? I got away from the finish line and just put my hands on my knees for a while to catch breath and work out bad cramp in rib cage. Then two friends came over, one with video camera. I do not even want to see what that looks like and tolk him interview over! First thing I mentioned was "Did you see that aweful swim?". They said I came out of water MOP and not that bad. Then I started to think that maybe I actually did ok. Walk over to leaderboard (man they print results out fast!) and saw that I was top of my division!!! Therefore, would stick around for awards:)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Will be excited to train for sprint next year and see if that helps with times vs. endurance work. Also will get better sleep leading in and have better diet as well. That plus new wheels for the bike and maybe aero helmet and I will say all excuses are off the table:) That said, just need to train harder at times and get "uncomfortable" to simulate the bike/run transition.

Event comments:

1st Tri, what else can I say? My goal was 1:20:00 after looking at prior year's results and although conditions were likely better this year, I beat my goal. Won my division of 1st timers and was really pleased knowing there were areas I really could have done better in. Anyway, 1st race behind me and I am looking forward to 2 more races this season...

Last updated: 2008-07-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:46 | 437 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/41
Overall: 0/588
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tri Bottom - DeSoto
Course: Could not have asked for a better day! The Ocean looked like the YMCA pool I have been practicing in. The course was running South to North with the current helping, warm water a plus as well. Could not have asked for better OWS conditions for 1st tri and only hope will see seas like this again in future races!
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:29
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:37:23 | 13 miles | 20.86 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/41
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loop course with pretty flat straight road along beach. Slight headwind going south, but not much. Small hill out of transition, but managable. Only wish the dismount line was more visible, it was written in chalk and I never saw it. Probably got off too soon to avoid penalty...
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:20 | 03.1 miles | 08m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/41
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat course except for small hills near half way point. I liked it, but thought 2 water stations were tough on hot day.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-09 11:50 AM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Subject: Loggerhead Triathlon

2008-08-13 2:46 PM
in reply to: #1592064

User image

Expert
Boca Raton, FL
Subject: RE: Loggerhead Triathlon

Congrats on your first tri! Way to go on the hardware!!!  Hope you ahve your next race all picked out!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Loggerhead Triathlon Rss Feed