General Discussion Race Reports! » Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Georgetown, Colorado
United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 38m 52s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Nothing, headed up for the race. Normal food routine, nothing special here.
Event warmup:

10-15' jogging, then 3x strides at above race pace.
Run
  • 1h 38m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

Pretty miserable run. Wanted to go around 1:30 and started on that pace. Immediately saw HR at and above LT, and that was just going at a 6:50-ish pace. Started feeling mediocre to bad within a couple of miles. Held pace for 5 miles though, and then sort of watched it slip away. At mile 9 I knew that the goal was unattainable, and even going under a 7 minute pace probably wasn't going to happen, so I shut it down and just jogged in. Good training day, bad race.

Overall though, I did a similar half last year that I was using as training, and didn't feel good on that day either, and went much slower. I guess I have to keep it in perspective and respect the fact that I can do a 7:30 pace half mary feeling like total crap and being undertrained.
What would you do differently?:

Take some gels. Forgot to bring gels and had only PowerAid and water on the course. I don't think it would have helped me go 1:30, but I would have felt better in the last 3-4 miles, where I felt bonky and miserable.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked for a while, and then an easy jog. Lots of stretching after the race and an ice bath when I got home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training, bad nutrition this week, two nights out fairly late drinking beer, I'm not really fully recovered from IM. All contributing factors. I'm not upset or making excuses, it's just a fact that I'm not really ready to race hard right now.

Event comments:

I liked the race for scenery, there were plenty of good runners up there, and I would like to give it another shot better trained and more mentally ready to race. Post race stuff was pretty weak - O'Dell's beer and crap food.

Last updated: 2008-07-07 12:00 AM
Running
01:38:52 | 13.1 miles | 07m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: Mostly downhill.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-08-09 2:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon

2008-08-11 6:34 AM
in reply to: #1592171

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Subject: RE: Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon
I wish I could do a 7:30 pace half when feeling bad.   good job to get out there and compete/train.  It'll come around.
2008-08-13 10:01 AM
in reply to: #1592171

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Subject: RE: Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon
Nice training run!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon Rss Feed