United States
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 23m 41s
Overall Rank = 19/234
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/16
Pre-race routine:

Showers and thunderstorms overnight threatened to make this one an ordeal. Radar showed bands of rain across the state, but it cleared up just in time for the start. Slick roads, but otherwise excellent racing conditions. Overcast, cool, no wind.

I raced this one last year a few days after relocating to the area from Southern California. Was humbled (er, humiliated) by the hilly bike course, ran with a bad cramp, and came away feeling sorta lousy about my overall conditioning.

BIG difference this time around. Put together 3 solid performances and came away with hardware. Just a small local race, sure, but a nice indication of the improvement I've made, not only this year, but since racing my sprint first tri in 2005 (where I ended up walking after the first mile).
Event warmup:

Got to the venue as the skies were clearing. Transition was a bit muddy, but not too bad overall. Picked a rack position far from the in/out path, but had some room to spread out, which was nice. Watched the Oly swimmers go off, then splashed around a little to get my body ready for the lake water. Gel with about 20 minutes to go. Still felt sleepy, and found it hard to get in race mode mentally. Three races last month (and a disappointing HIM finish in Newfoundland) left me feeling a little burned out.
Swim
  • 13m 15s
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

Nice, clean, warm water always makes a big difference. Started out wide to avoid some of the flailing. Found it harder than I expected to separate myself form the pack, but found mostly open water after the first buoy. Did a decent job sighting (with no breaststroke), though I found myself a bit off the mark at buoy two. Came in strong and did a nice job getting myself up the ramp and off the beach.
What would you do differently?:

A full minute faster than last year. Not much to change here.
Transition 1
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

New transition set-up this year. Handled things well overall, despite setting myself up at one of the farthest racks.
Bike
  • 43m 48s
  • 13.98 miles
  • 19.15 mile/hr
Comments:

This is a challenging sprint course with plenty of rollers and two difficult climbs. I burned myself up pretty badly last year and came limping home with my tail between my legs. played it more conservatively this time around and benefited from better overall conditioning. Still consider the bike as my biggest weakness, but I boosted mph this year significantly (+2.2).

Need to hit the hills harder in training. Was spinning in the granny gears where others were hammering away.
Transition 2
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

Long run in with my bike. Went sockless for the run, but still found a way to waste time here.
Run
  • 23m 2s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran this one just at the edge of my current ability. Good pacing and smart decisions on a fun course through the village. Put a couple of dudes away heading up the one serious hill, but also got overtaken by a couple of other runners heading down. Reeled one more guy in with about 1/4 mile to go, and really pressed myself to make sure he wouldn't nab me at the end. Stayed positive as the pain and acid were building, and maintained pretty good form even as the HR was pegged high.

Nice effort for me after an hour of work. Gives me some hope for a sub-20 minutes stand alone 5K.
Post race
Event comments:

Nice job and good vibe. Sometimes the little local races are more fulfilling than the IM-branded stuff.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-04-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:15 | 875 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/16
Overall: 14/234
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri suit only
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:21
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:48 | 13.98 miles | 19.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/16
Overall: 40/234
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:45
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:02 | 03.11 miles | 07m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/16
Overall: 24/234
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-11 10:47 AM

User image

Expert
Central New York
Subject: Cazenovia Triathlon - Sprint

2008-08-11 1:04 PM
in reply to: #1594206

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York
Subject: RE: Cazenovia Triathlon - Sprint
Great job yesterday!!  Congrats on the AG placement.  I raced yesterday, too, and thought it was a blast (but very cold!)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cazenovia Triathlon - Sprint Rss Feed